VE Day

King of Hamptons

So I received a txt this morning from my landlord.. 

"We have been asked to invite our neighbours if they would like to attend a VE day street celebration in Millfield Drive. It will be held at 1600 hours on Friday 8th and obviously we will be observing social distancing, which makes it rather difficult, but the idea is good if a little impractical. I am assuming we will take chairs out on or near the road, take your own drink and food. They also want us to decorate the homes the best we can. We will be putting out our union jack flags and there will be music while we shout at each other.

I realise it is much more significant to the oldies for what we had endured for the previous 6 years, nevertheless it forged our futute as a free Europe.

It is entirely up to you if you come no pressure.".

Both him and his wife are massive Brexit  supporters, they went out and bought Union Jack flags and decorated there house when we voted to leave and again when Brexit came into effect. My question is do you guys think that to some people that VE day is being used as a anti EU thing.. Kind of ironic he mentioned a United Europe yet voted to leave it. 

Thoughts? 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

This country would shag World War 2 if it could.

It's about the only part of British history which is more like a Hollywood film than most Hollywood films. Hitler is a great and clear antagonist, there's no ambiguous character, and we are the good guys and it's possible to spin it we were on the brink of defeat before we rallied back to save the day. 

I know that's not all true, I've always been of the understanding the main downfall of the axis powers in Europe was the decision to break the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact and invade Russia and in truth the majority of the third reich ideology was in superiority over 'slavic' States and heading east was always more pressing than crossing the Channel for example. 

It's also the most recent thing we did where we weren't a bit of a cunt. 

Contrast that to most of our other military history on the global stage, hundreds of years of racing the Dutch, Spanish and Portuguese to find new indigenous populations to massacre or enslave, the grimm nature of World War One, trafficking heroin into the far east, fighting amongst ourselves for most of our existence and a few hundred years where we were so insignificant Europe sort of forgot about us until we started exporting wool to the Dutch. Even the most famous battles to most people pre WW2 are Bosworth, which was part of civil war with no clear good guy vs bad guy, Hastings where we got beaten by the French and Waterloo which is too old and complicated with all the goings on for people to give a toss. 

The only other bits which are close to being able to be sold nearly as 'glorious' are too far back or too complicated for people to care about. 

Also, and on a small WW2 aside, despite the awful atrocities by the axis powers Russia, an allied power, was up to stuff nearly as bad which we turned a blind eye too. At the nurenberg trains a number of genocidal sweeps by Russian forces was attributed to Germany by Russia. The UK and USA know who'd done what and advised Russia not to undermine the integrity of the trail but they told them to piss off and everyone just grinned and went along with the cover up. And on the integrity of the trails apparently one senior member of the luftwaffer pointed out that the UK, who bombed civilian targets, was charging him with war crimes for bombing civilian targets. But again that's the on the grubby or blurry side we don't tend to focus on because Hitler was such a great heel. 

On a completely unrelated note but as a great English victory apparently so many British archers at Agincourt had dysentery or similar issues they fought naked from the waist down so they could shit and shoot. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

It's about the only part of British history which is more like a Hollywood film than most Hollywood films.

Yep, probably because it's the only one where there is no doubt that we were the goodies

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Yep, probably because it's the only one where there is no doubt that we were the goodies

"I have to tell you now that no such undertaking has been received, and that consequently this country is do-do-doing the funky gibbon."

This could have gone in any of about eight threads on here, but if Johnson comes out tomorrow dressed like Geri Halliwell waving flags everywhere then I may just cave my TV in.

We haven't seen the cunt in a month - he'll be back giving this virus some Bulldog Spirit.

19 hours ago, King of Hamptons said:

I realise it is much more significant to the oldies for what we had endured for the previous 6 years,

Unless he's actually 75 plus I doubt he endured anything during the war as he wasn't alive then. 

There’s two houses opposite eachother that I pass on my morning walk who are in a great “I’m celebrating more than you!” dick measuring contest over VE Day. Each morning one of them has added something new but, and more importantly, bigger and more extravagant than the guy opposite