VE Day

King of Hamptons

• Paid Members

I remember there being a big do in Birmingham when I was working there, so somewhere 2013 - 2015, for something. They had an old spitfire flypast and a load of displays and stalls outside the library. 

I have no idea what it was for though, can't remember that, but it was all 1940's war nostalgia to celebrate or commemorate something. I do remember one of the young ladies who'd volunteered there for the day though. 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

Based on some of the images of "questionable" social distancing observed during VE Day street parties, imagine the Daily Mail's uproar has it been a load of Muslims outside a Mosque or something?

Obviously fine as long as its the "right kind" of celebration.

Personally, I think that any celebrations are in bad taste during this time, no matter how many feet they are away from each other.

Edit: I stand corrected, its the BBC's fault. https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1280013/BBC-news-coronavirus-social-distancing-ignored-ve-day-celebrations

Edited by garynysmon

2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Why would you? Nobody celebrates a 70th anniversary. 25th, 50th, 75th and 100th.

Exactly. It’s like Gold, silver and bronze. You don’t celebrate fourth.