VE Day

King of Hamptons

• Moderators

In a nosy parker update, another flat (sadly on the same side of the street, so I can't see) has loud sounds of VE revelry coming from the front garden, and an Iceland van driver just put the brakes on outside to scream at them "YOU'RE GONNA KILL US ALL!" in a really distressed and sustained way before speeding off. In response, they turned the music up. I'm not bowled over by surprise, seeing as they've a year round RESPECT OUR BOYS poppy banner and St George dangling from the windows.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

After about five hours of Vera Lynn and Somewhere Over The Rainbow etc. being blasted from one of the houses by me, I think the other houses have started to have enough as there is now about four house all blasting different music to drown them out.  It's an absolute fucking racket.

I think the point where they had enough was when they were running out of 1940's war time music and were having resort to playing the Dad's Army theme tune for a second time. They were scraping the bottom of the barrel by playing the sound of an air raid siren for about three minutes straight in my opinion. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, this weekend is where the infection spreads like wildfire and in time we move massively ahead of the rest of the world (that isn't called America) in terms of deaths because of it.

Where we live, all of our gardens back onto a big private communal garden for all the residents. Somebody sent a flyer around last week to arrange a socially-distanced VE Day street party thing. Obviously wasn't thrilled about the idea in the first place (urgh- Churchill, Vera Lynn, Gary Sparrow- fuck all that), but a picnic in the garden- ok fine.

We, and a few other families, kept distance and enjoyed the day- having long distance chats now and then. The rest congregated like a posh sex party. They couldn't be closer to each other, huddled around like they were desperate to catch something. Including the family that suggested it being a socially-distanced event in the first place.

I think a large part of the country have decided to give up.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I think the point where they had enough was when they were running out of 1940's war time music and were having resort to playing the Dad's Army theme tune for a second time. They were scraping the bottom of the barrel by playing the sound of an air raid siren for about three minutes straight in my opinion. 

I've read this about 15 times now and it's not got any less funny.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Yeah, this weekend is where the infection spreads like wildfire and in time we move massively ahead of the rest of the world (that isn't called America) in terms of deaths because of it.

Where we live, all of our gardens back onto a big private communal garden for all the residents. Somebody sent a flyer around last week to arrange a socially-distanced VE Day street party thing. Obviously wasn't thrilled about the idea in the first place (urgh- Churchill, Vera Lynn, Gary Sparrow- fuck all that), but a picnic in the garden- ok fine.

We, and a few other families, kept distance and enjoyed the day- having long distance chats now and then. The rest congregated like a posh sex party. They couldn't be closer to each other, huddled around like they were desperate to catch something. Including the family that suggested it being a socially-distanced event in the first place.

I think a large part of the country have decided to give up.

They're inspired by that indomitable spirit that won the war, even though it was the Soviet Union's attrition and America's nuclear bombs that actually won the war. 

• Paid Members

Been out on my bike and passed a good dozen little gatherings of 8-10 people having their tea outside in front of some shitty bunting. I doubt it's doing much harm up here as the numbers are still really low but it's just irritating to see people who think they can do what they like because it's VE day.

If it's like that everywhere, we're going to be seeing shit numbers for a while yet.

It's not been that bad round here. Seen a few flagrant breaches but not many. See far more people talking about than it actually happening. Went on a big walk to the country park and under the bridge last Saturday. Got back and saw someone ranting on Facebook that the foreshore was like the summer holidays. I'd literally just been there and there were about 20 people max, all well spread and most just exercising themselves or their dogs. On a normal warm day, there are 30 people at the ice cream van and another 50 in the pub garden alone.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

You should be a good comrade and stick the Soviet flag on there too. They won it for us after all.

Not sure if that's in response to me but as I understand it (and I'm no expert) it was more the need to maintain two fronts miles apart and the weather than any great strategy or might. The only good thing they did was scorch the earth as they retreated to make an unpleasant winter even harder. 

Edited by Tommy!

1 hour ago, Undefeated Steak said:

The idea of celebrating the day that marked the end of a period when untold sacrifices were made for our country by holding a gathering in a lockdown is mesmerising.

The thing is they probably aren't even celebrating VE Day because its VE Day. It's just an excuse to celebrate in the garden with everyone else. Wouldn't surprise me if half the nation didn't even know what VE Day was until they realised its a bank holiday.