Disney Plus

Weezenal

I don't think Let it Be is a bad album, but its awkward chronological timing and coming as an intentional back-to-basics approach at the end of one of the greatest run of albums ever has always historically diminished is reputation so I can accept perceptions of it being a bit humdrum. Of course as any great close up examination tends to do, I feel much fonder about it now being halfway through this documentary footage. It's mad how genuinely Spinal Tap the conversations in it are. The Tap must go right back to this, right, rather than the traditional pinning of the influences on stuff like Saxon? 

So far, Harrison comes across far more youthful and yammering than the dark, silent type they always portrayed him as. Paul seems well within his rights assuming leadership given John's smacked out of it and Ringo's just Ringo. It's overlong, but in that way that's great if you're into it. 

5 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

I've never come across this opinion that Let it Be is sub-par and I'm baffled by it. It's 35 minutes long and includes Two of Us, Across The Universe, Let it Be, I've Got a Feeling, The Long and Winding Road and Get Back. 

And it should have had Don't Let Me Down, really, which for me is a top 25. 

16 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

I've never come across this opinion that Let it Be is sub-par and I'm baffled by it. It's 35 minutes long and includes Two of Us, Across The Universe, Let it Be, I've Got a Feeling, The Long and Winding Road and Get Back. 

It’s sub par by Beatles standards, but still a decent album. I just don’t think it’s  a great album. It’s still better than what most bands can dream of creating but it isn’t in the same room as Revolver, Little Earthquakes, Under The Pink, Boys For Pele, Fearless, Red, 1989, folklore or California Joey. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

It’s sub par by Beatles standards, but still a decent album. I just don’t think it’s  a great album. It’s still better than what most bands can dream of creating but it isn’t in the same room as Revolver, Little Earthquakes, Under The Pink, Boys For Pele, Fearless, Red, 1989, folklore or California Joey. 

Or The Best of The Beatles

• Awards Moderator

Finished Get Back today. What a treat! 

I found it hard going at first, rambling and incoherent but I think I was expecting a proper narrative. Once I settled into it it became fascinating. The sheer talent of these guys laid bare, conjuring a great (yes, great) album in a couple of weeks and they would then put Abbey Road together a few months later. The hammering away at a lyric like "Jo Jo left his home in Tucson Arizona" a million times until it's perfect. Like watching a whodunit where you already know the murderer you feel frustrated that they can't grasp the words that are so obviously right now. 

Paul really steps into a leader role, with John off his trolley, George just wanting to play good music and Ringo along for the ride. But I was surprised just how well Billy Preston slipped into the group and added so much to the sound almost by accident.

The concert itself was superb, and again just how amazing it happened at all. The best bits were the vox pops from the street. "Yeah they get arahnd I 'eard." "I fink the Beatles are a good crowd." "Woke me up from my sleep, I ask you!" 

This is exactly the sort of content streaming is for. Not shoehorned into tidy 44 minute chunks, but 3 segments allowed to breathe into the shape they need to be. I'm staggered so much footage is available and Peter Jackson's work on restoring it is incredible. 

I actually found it more of a chore from halfway through onward. It was brilliant seeing them back on form with Billy Preston, but then the closer they got to the rooftop gig, the more the documentary made bare what a weird sort of cop out option it was.

In proper on brand Peter Jackson form, I felt like someone should have wrapped some achievement medal around my neck at the end just for getting there. They're surface complaints though. It's a treasure of a restoration and here we are talking about the fucking Beatles as if it's the latest episodic. 

As Mrs. FOOK so succinctly pointed out, also, it was choc full of the kind of arguments which are remembered as explosive but in reality were the stuff of meandering, polite aggro that only comes from smoking your brains out. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members
On 11/30/2021 at 9:39 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Let It Be is not a great album. Still better than anything by Queen, but it’s not a great album. 

The "Let It Be... Naked" cut without all Phil Spector's wall of sound removing a lot of the emotion from it is much better. That version of The Long And Winding Road is so much rawer and sadder when it's just the Beatles' insttuments than when all those strings and bollocks kick in on the original. 

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

The King's Men has started streaming today. It was one I wanted to catch at the cinema but didn't get a chance to so excited to get to see it.

I believe The French Dispatch also starts streaming next week and that was one of my favourite films of last year if you like Wes Anderson films.

It's an odd movie that one. Not only because it shoves an interesting idea, "pacifist hero doesn't want son to fight in a war because war is stupidly shit," into a lads franchise about stylish violence, taking the piss and doing posh birds up the arse but because it seemed like somebody was trying to come out about enjoying Avengers (98).