Disney Plus

Weezenal

GET BACK - Finished Part 2, and fuck me its just incredibly fascinating to be able to watch them like this. I can see why it would annoy some people, but I love it all. The moment at the start of part 2 where Paul is talking about John and Yoko / George leaving and he goes 'And then there were two', while he stares off and you can tell he's welling up broke my heart. It's just tinged with sadness of lost youth and all that shit we know about them. Looking forward to finishing it tonight.

Incredible knitwear on Paul as well

• Paid Members

Watched Get Back over the weekend. It is equally fantastic and frustrating in equal measure.

The frustrating thing is, it's in 3 really long parts. Each episode is the length of a bloated Hollywood blockbuster (hello No Time To Die), and I did find my interesst waining at times because of it.

Which is frustrating because the fotage and way its been edited is fantastic! Seeing songs like Get Back being created in real time is incredible. I can't believe this footage has been around for over 50 years and they didn't know what they did with it. 

The highlight for me was 

Spoiler

Episode 3. The historic rooftop gig in all it's glory. Bonus points for the interviews of the spectators and the police going in to such it down. Such good shit.

To think, this was annouced as a film originally! 60 hours of footage writtled down to almost 9 hours over the 3 parts. I really wish this had been a 10 part series instead, but overall it is great watch whether you are a fan of The Beatles, or just music in general.

I think originally it was just going to be a 2 hour documentary so think this was the compromise. Jackson said they kept cutting it but adding stuff in. There was originally an 18 hour cut, which quite frankly had they released as an 18 part series I would have watched it all!

The length is a bit of a slog, but I think on rewatch it will be quite nice to just have it on in the background. Something quite comforting about it!

I am on my second watch through and I find it really emotional. I’m not a big Beatles fan, but the intimacy makes it feel like you are in with them. I find it pours out of relationships breaking, friendships straining and the pressure they put themselves under to deliver. No diva tantrums, 3 weeks and they create this great album before our eyes. 4 lads who are grafting at work in what must be a Baltic studio in January. Paul’s writing output is amazing here, see little of John leading any of the songs.

If anyone sees me in a black polo neck this winter, mind your own fucking business haha 

29 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

You shouldn't ever be allowed to share your musical opinion. You should have one of those sex-pest electric shockers that kicks in whenever you think about music.

Let It Be is not a great album. Still better than anything by Queen, but it’s not a great album. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Let It Be is not a great album. Still better than anything by Queen, but it’s not a great album. 

I get the feeling that the feeling isn’t mutual but I have a lot of time for you and your opinions. This take though…. Eesh. But I guess it depends on the version of the Beatles is your favourite. I much prefer late era Beatles and listening back to their albums recently I think. It’s one of the better ones. I mean Across The Universe is an absolute banger. Phil Spector is shit though so he does ruin the songs with his additions.

But we all know the best album of theirs is The Best of The Beatles.

14 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Listen, so-called "Keith", you're essentially saying that the Beatles weren't a great band, which is clearly nonsense.

And Queen had 3 greatest hits albums. How many does Tori Amos have?

3 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

But it gave birth to a great album.

spacer.png

It also gave us this. 

@Hannibal Scorch For me, Let It Be is their worst album. That’s not to say it’s a bad album, much like Strangeways Here We Come and Trompe Le Monde, they are the worst album by the band (not counting new Pixies as I haven’t really listened to them) but still decent. Revolver is my second favourite Beatles album after Best Of The Beatles.