Is The UK Racist

Keith Houchen

Is The UK Racist  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A misquote from Stormzy is getting people hot and bothered, after being asked if there is racism in the UK, he answered 100% yes.  This has of course translated into him saying the UK is 100% racist.  I'm expanding this a little.

I appreciate that most of us on here are white and don't have experience of racism (reverse racism isn't a thing), but do you feel that the UK, as in it's people and institutions are racist?  Have you noticed it being on the rise?  I feel that the institutions of the UK are inherently racist and there has always been a bubbling undercurrent of racism within the populace but it is becoming more acceptable under various smokescreens.  Having two racist PMs in succession doesn't help matters either.

• Paid Members

Yep, of course this country is racist. "But but but stats show that we aren't as racist as other countries" is one of the arguments being banded about. That doesn't stop racism from existing here, does it?

Has progress been made in recent decades? Yes. But not enough and we are a LONG, long way from it being close to eradicated (which realistically will never happen). When your own PM has made a number of racist comments then so many people in this country will see those kind of comments as acceptable. Sadly this (along with regular comments from pond life such as Katie Hopkins) has contributed to an increase in racist incidents. 

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

A misquote from Stormzy is getting people hot and bothered, after being asked if there is racism in the UK, he answered 100% yes.  This has of course translated into him saying the UK is 100% racist.  I'm expanding this a little.

I appreciate that most of us on here are white and don't have experience of racism (reverse racism isn't a thing), but do you feel that the UK, as in it's people and institutions are racist?  Have you noticed it being on the rise?  I feel that the institutions of the UK are inherently racist and there has always been a bubbling undercurrent of racism within the populace but it is becoming more acceptable under various smokescreens.  Having two racist PMs in succession doesn't help matters either.

Bowler been sending messages again?

And yes, this place is and always has been a shithole full of racists.

• Paid Members

I mentioned this in the football racism thread, but anyone who is interested in why the human race seems pre-programmed to hate(or at the very least be suspicious of)those who are different, there is a great docu-series called "Why We Hate".

It covers things like why people are racist, why we wage wars against others and loads more. I thought it was a really good, thought provoking series.

As for the question, is the UK racist? I honestly think it varies from area to area. Places like Barnsley, where we had one of the lowest ethnic mixes in the country before the Kosovo war, has got a huge section of the population who are very wary of non-white people. It's become a real issue now that we have a load of huge call centers and distribution centers on our doorstep that has attracted big numbers of immagrints, mainly from Eastern Europe. Lots of folk I speak to say they want out of the EU to "kick em all out, and take back our jobs", but seeing as they are all constantly advertising vacancies, it's obviously just an excuse for their narrow mindedness.

Saying that, I always thought London was quite an open minded, multi-cultural place, but there was reports of Barnsley's defender Bambo Diaby being racially abused at Millwall yesterday, and today I've seen that something has gone off at Spurs, it's made me think twice about it. I'm not throwing stones here, as I know this shit goes off all over...

Where I am (South East Essex), I can't say I've witnessed overt racism but there are bubblings of nationalism, although frankly that is racism against people of the same colour as you. I work in the office department of a factory company. There are people of different ethnicities in the offices (Chinese, Eastern European, Ugandan, Ghanaian, for example) and we all get on like a house on fire. The ist rumblings seem to be isolated to the English factory staff where we employ a high number of agency temps from various Baltic and Slavic states, and even then the last HR incident was 3 years ago when the Brexit situation first took hold and gave a small number the overconfidence to think their discriminatory views were valid, acceptable and important.

It pains me to think the wider UK is racist, but certainly based on the louder voices in the media and the results of recent polls and elections, it may be. Certainly right wing, certainly nationalist.

I think there is a massive difference between "The UK is racist" & "Does racism exist in the UK"

I think on the whole, the UK is not a racist country. Not that i am saying it does not raise its ugly head on occasion.

Am i right in thinking that despite what anyone thinks, the UK is the most tolerant country in the entire world?

1 hour ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

I think there is a massive difference between "The UK is racist" & "Does racism exist in the UK"

I think on the whole, the UK is not a racist country. Not that i am saying it does not raise its ugly head on occasion.

Am i right in thinking that despite what anyone thinks, the UK is the most tolerant country in the entire world?

The simple answer to your last question is, according to studies I’ve found through a quick Google search, no, although it’s one of the better places in the EU under the criteria they’re looking at.

The more complex answer is that these studies don’t tend to look at the general populace as a sole factor, they take into account things like LGBT rights, resettling if refugees etc so it’s an imperfect measure. Even if you do put stock in these studies ‘more tolerant than’ doesn’t necessarily mean ‘tolerant’. It’s potentially nothing more than ‘less shit’.

From my perspective, the fact a PM who has made highly publicised racist comments was just voted in by a huge majority isn’t exactly evidence in our favour. 

Plus, a driving force behind the want for Brexit is and was immigration. Judging another person’s value based on where they’re from...surely that in itself is racist?

Is everyone in the UK racist? Of course not. Is it hard to find someone who is? Sadly, no. 

Edited by RedRooster