Is The UK Racist

Keith Houchen

Is The UK Racist  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

I think there is a massive difference between "The UK is racist" & "Does racism exist in the UK"

I think on the whole, the UK is not a racist country. Not that i am saying it does not raise its ugly head on occasion.

Am i right in thinking that despite what anyone thinks, the UK is the most tolerant country in the entire world?

Is tolerance a good thing? Tolerating something is not the same a understanding and believing in something. You tolerate things you don't like. In the end that became a problem, the message was to tolerate people who are different. The message should have been about accepting difference and believing it to be okay to be different. Over the past few years I saw people who didn't make racist comments make them and say they always disliked how 'British values" are going and similar things. They always believed it, tolerated it, then they just exploded and became vocal. 

16 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Even if you do put stock in these studies ‘more tolerant than’ doesn’t necessarily mean ‘tolerant’. It’s potentially nothing more than ‘less shit’.

So which countries are "less shit" than the UK when it comes to racism?

If the UK is this terrible racist country, then why would anyone wish to migrate here? The only point i am trying to make is that despite its problems, the UK is still a good place to live if you compare it to pretty much anywhere else.

Just now, Lord-Mountevans said:

So which countries are "less shit" than the UK when it comes to racism?

If the UK is this terrible racist country, then why would anyone wish to migrate here? The only point i am trying to make is that despite its problems, the UK is still a good place to live if you compare it to pretty much anywhere else.

The question isn’t ‘is the UK a comparably good place to live?’, it’s ‘is the UK racist?’, they’re two very different questions.

I’m not sure why you’re trying to make the point you’re making, to be honest. I don’t think anyone on here is actively happy to say that the UK has a problem with racism. Perhaps you’ve not seen or experienced racism. That doesn’t mean that it doesn’t happen, and that it doesn’t happen to the point of significance. 

Just now, Lord-Mountevans said:

What about "The best of a bad bunch", will that do you?

Not really. It’s about us owning our own problems and not making favourable comparisons as it stinks of colonialism. It’s “We are better than you, be like us because we are superior”

47 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

The question isn’t ‘is the UK a comparably good place to live?’, it’s ‘is the UK racist?’, they’re two very different questions.

I’m not sure why you’re trying to make the point you’re making, to be honest. I don’t think anyone on here is actively happy to say that the UK has a problem with racism. Perhaps you’ve not seen or experienced racism. That doesn’t mean that it doesn’t happen, and that it doesn’t happen to the point of significance. 

Here is my point...

The topic is "Is the UK racist" & i am saying "No", on the whole the UK is not a racist country. Yes you can point to examples of racism in the UK, but to brand the country & the people who live in it "racist" is incorrect.

36 minutes ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

Yes you can point to examples of racism in the UK, but to brand the country & the people who live in it "racist" is incorrect

I’m branding the institutions of the UK, and the people who run those institutions and by extension run the country as racist. They are set up by, and for, white people or more specifically rich White men. 

im also branding the “English / British mentality” as racist  The Victorian mindset of having a divine right to rule is still prevalent. 

I’ll give an example. We have an English born mayor of London and an American born Prime Minister. Which one isn’t considered British by swathes of the populace and why?

Edited by Keith Houchen

24 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’m branding the institutions of the UK, and the people who run those institutions and by extension run the country as racist. They are set up by, and for, white people or more specifically rich White men. 

im also branding the “English / British mentality” as racist  The Victorian mindset of having a divine right to rule is still prevalent. 

I’ll give an example. We have an English born mayor of London and an American born Prime Minister. Which one isn’t considered British by swathes of the populace and why?

So what percentage of people born in the UK do you perceive to be your version of what could be described as racist?

I believe that one of biggest mistakes made by Remainers after their defeat in the referendum, was to describe those who voted to leave as "racists/ill informed idiots (or both). I believe that this just added fuel to the fire of Brexit & made people all the more determined to go out & vote again, in a way that would support Brexit.

I don't believe that we have over 17 million racists/ill informed idiots in this country. We do have a lot of angry & disillusioned people though, but "racist"? Nah.

I agree with a lot of the points you make. But i still see this as a fairly decent country (a divided country with its problems) with an awful lot more good people, than bad.

5 hours ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

Am i right in thinking that despite what anyone thinks, the UK is the most tolerant country in the entire world?

my mate wore a pair of jeans once, straight legged, blue, absolutely unremarkable, and people asked him the next day at school if he was gay now

Edited by Cannibal Man

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

That's some serious autofelliato right there.

If anything, the last five years has allowed a scaringly large amount of people in the UK to peel off their "virtue-signalling" veneer of accomodation and tolerance to those that are not "People Like Us", having been enabled to do so. For all his fault, and boy were there plenty, David Cameron never sought to dog whistle on the prejudices of Middle England to try and win votes. The current Prime Minister, whom was elected on a comfortable majority earlier this month, has never been terribly shy to use terms like "letterboxes", "picanannies", mocking Chinese accents or reciting colonial era poems in Myanmar at a sacred site for Bhuddists, not to mention his recent cozying up to the likes of Steve Bannon. The vote to leave the EU was promoted less soundly on the economic and social self interest of the UK at large and more about subtle and not so subtle popularist prejudices concerning other EU citizens "take er jerbs" and standing in front of posters showing hoards of dark-skinned humans in a queue with "Breaking Point" in big capital letters.

Nope, it is a simple case of far too many Britons, usually English, whom continue to not own their shit, blame everyone else but themselves for the failures arising from their own decisions.

It's the new "I'm not racist, but..."

I don't think there's been a country I've visited or lived in that doesn't have its issues regarding race and/or religion. Tribalism isn't a British thing, it's a human race thing. It's shit, of course, and we shouldn't stand for it where we see it, but it's always been prevalent wherever human beings exist.

Now i'm awake and can function better i'll try again. I don't think The UK is completely racist but I have seen some pretty shitty things by older generations. However my wife is quite clearly not from the UK and in most places we've been there has been little issues with racism. Many of my ex students who have gone to the UK have not had issues either. 

That said many never truly integrate into UK society and choose to stay with other foreigners as there is some sort of barrier of either intimidation or unfriendliness. More often that I can remember I've seen foreign nationals be it living in the uk or as tourist interacting with locals in a transnational way where simply because the person looks different or is using limited English and quite clearly not a British national or a white skinned fluent English foreigner the person on the other end of the interaction treats them much worse than the person that came before. 

That said I've experienced racism to some extent both ways living abroad. I've seen people come to Vietnam and treat those serving them like we still live in colonial Indochina, shouting and berating locals in ways you just wouldn't at home. My wife who is a fluent English speaker and teacher for 5+ years has teachers with no academic qualifications or experience talk down to her simply because she is Vietnamese so she can't possibly be as good at the job as them!

As for me experiencing it, i've been refused entry to places because i'm a white foreigner and even witnessed conversations where people have told my wife they don't like foreigners and degraded her for being with me. 

It's everywhere from what I can see and as people have said the UK has it shitheads and it has decent forward thinking people as does most places. The only place i've ever felt a harmony of all races, nationalities, religions etc was when I went to see Guns and Roses in Singapore and stood around people from all parts of the globe even Islamic women in full traditional dress. No one gave a fuck, everyone was polite and just enjoying the music.