Is The UK Racist

Keith Houchen

Is The UK Racist  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

First of all, I think this thread is problematic as this place is quite the chest-beating left wing echo chamber (with threads like the Tories are Cunts for example).Ā 

Secondly, the thread started with "reverse racism isn't a thing" - racism isn't applicable to whatever groups you choose. It's simply a hatred of people based on their skin colour. (There's an argument out there about racism equating to power and and privilegeĀ but that's absolute bollocks - racism is quite simply the act of being prejudiced against a person solely based on their skin colour).

I've lived in Spain and have been to a few bars where I'm served last because I'm "guiri" (foreign) - I personally see it as a quirk of the local culture but I'm sure if the same behavior were applied here it would be instantly decried as racist.

I don't think the UK is a racist country (or at least Scotland as that's where I'm from). Of course there are racists like anywhere but I can't imagine any pub in the country where you could walk in saying "I just beat the hell out of some black guy" and be rewarded with cheers. Unless you class racism as things like jokes but ethnicity will always be a constant punchline - of any race - I say that nobody should be above making a fool of. You don't think that the Pakistani community make jokes about white people, or black Americans do? Making those jokes doesn't make them racists. I'm sure we've all seen the "When white people..." memes on social media.Ā 

Something I found quite amusing a while ago is that I watch a Mexican programme called Me Caigo De Risa for practice with the Spanish language and a few months ago they had a bit where the cast all did blackface for a skit. Nobody gave a shit. It wasn't reported outrageously in the media and nobody had their career threatened - they made a joke and nobody really seemed to care. Now, the Mexican people are one who face their fair share of hardship under a Trump presidency but think of the difference if this same skit was on Fox or CNN? My point is not to defend blackface but that we are all guilty of picking and choosing what we want to be outraged by. Otherwise we should be arguing that Mexico is a racist country for most people over there finding this funny.Ā 

My conclusion having traveled extensively is that the UK is pretty much the least racist country I've been to. We're not perfect but neither is the world. We'll get there.Ā 

Racist incidents have been on the rise ever since the Brexit vote. If our PM thinks itā€™s acceptable to compare women in Burkas to ā€œletterboxesā€ and call black people ā€œpiccaninies with watermelon smilesā€, then racism will trickleĀ from the top down. The fact that people withĀ far right viewsĀ such as Katie Hopkins and Tommy Robinson have joined the Conservative Party says a lot too.

Bravo to Gary Neville for having the guts to tell it like it is. Stan Collymoreā€™s Twitter feed makes for interesting reading too during the last few hours.

Iā€™ve never been more disgusted with my country than I am right now. People seem to arrogantly be turning a blind eye thinking that racism has always been there and itā€™s not on the rise. Well Iā€™m saying that racism is on the riseĀ and what Donald Trump and Boris Johnson are doing nowĀ is how Nazism started.

• Paid Members

If you're someone who believes Jeremy Corbyn is "an existential threat to Jews" as the Chief Rabbi stated, on the back of things Corbyn hasĀ said, then you cannot believe that the Tories, on the basis ofĀ things they've actually done, are not an existential threat to BAME people.Ā 

On that basis, looking at the fact they are now a party of government, are now talking about going after Travellers again, still haven't made up for Grenfell and Windrush, and are perpetuating the dog-whistle that immigration is what's damaging this country and needs to be reversed via Brexit, add a huge portion of the media that seems just as emboldened as the people regurgitating their hatred, and stick that in with my personal experiences, and those of my family and friends, and I've never been more convinced that this is a racist country.Ā 

15 hours ago, David said:

I don't think there's been a country I've visited or lived in that doesn't have its issues regarding race and/or religion. Tribalism isn't a British thing, it's a human race thing. It's shit, of course, and we shouldn't stand for it where we see it, but it's always been prevalent wherever human beings exist.

True enough, though I think it's British exceptionalism that's the cause of most of the problems in the Farage/Johnson/Cummings era. They've capitalised on feelings of resentment in left behind areas by creating a fictional bogeyman in the EU/migrants, obfuscating the truth, which is that central government really don't give a shit about them and is quite happy for them all to fuck off and die. Post 2015, it's all been about the most toxic blend of nationalism; we're the best, only sunlit uplands once we leave the EU, couple with Farage's "breaking point" poster etc.Ā 

I think the worst is yet to come, once the Brexit crunch really hits and the poor get even poorer. Johnson and Farage will just up the racist ante. Plenty more minorities to scapegoat when everything starts getting worse.Ā 

Edited by hallicks
Garage!

I think theres a lot of people that would not consider themselves racist if asked but show racist tendencies.

I have family members who in their day to day life get on fine with everyone but come home and moan about black people being lazy, Eastern Europeans taking peoples jobs yet when asked they would never admit to being racist.Ā 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, David said:

I don't think there's been a country I've visited or lived in that doesn't have its issues regarding race and/or religion. Tribalism isn't a British thing, it's a human race thing. It's shit, of course, and we shouldn't stand for it where we see it, but it's always been prevalent wherever human beings exist.

Of course humans have grouped together for forever based around certain identities, wherever it is nationality or sub-nationality, common language, faith, hobbies, football teams etc. but the sense of tribalism/grouping/societies/ghettoing has in itself no excuse or reasoning on its own for allowing racism or other outward prejudices to fester, displayed the most by the level of integration shown by those in such groups through day to day interaction and living with each other. History, culture and morality is far more important in such contributions.

• Paid Members

I was going to pop this in doomed, but itā€™d seem to fit here.

Iā€™ve just spent 16hrs in hospital with my 1yr old whoā€™sĀ had breathing difficulties. Ā Itā€™s been a horrific ordeal, however iā€™m glad it happened because it meant I got to hear the catering lady this morning, ask the father of a Muslim child - in the voice of Bernard Manning - whether he wanted an ā€˜Alal dinner, or NORMAL.

• Paid Members
On 12/23/2019 at 4:38 AM, SpiritOfTheForest said:

I don't think the UK is a racist country (or at least Scotland as that's where I'm from).

I always thought Scotland had some religious sectarianism based prejudice and violence, but I must be thinking of somewhere else.Ā 

• Paid Members
On 12/23/2019 at 11:43 AM, hallicks said:

I think the worst is yet to come, once the Brexit crunch really hits and the poor get even poorer. Johnson and Farage will just up the racist ante. Plenty more minorities to scapegoat when everything starts getting worse.Ā 

Agreed. I'm convinced that the Welsh Parliament/Devolution will be next in the firing line.