All Things Horror Thread

TheSurgeon

Just now, Cod Eye said:

Yes, I like that one too! Arrow/Scream Factory have done some brilliant retrospectives. There is a Night of the Demon's one, and a couple focusing on various House franchise movies that are decent too....

Not heard of those one's will have to see if I can find them online somewhere 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

Not heard of those one's will have to see if I can find them online somewhere 

They are al available on your usual friendly neighbourhood torrent trackers... 

Edit: Keep an eye out for "Beware the Moon" about American Warewolf in London. It's a bit older, but a good watch...

Edited by Cod Eye

• 4 weeks later...

i posted this in the movie review talk thread & thought id also post here for abit more discussion 

Now onto the first 4 Hellraiser films for me the first is a really good film, i know loads old it to a high esteem in horror circles. Maybe i don't hold it to that high level as i didnt see it as kid, i dont know but still a real good film. Infact the first 3 films i gave ***1/2 too on Letterboxd. Now for the 4th film (*** i rated it), Bloodline. This was good but, i think there was a really great film in here somewhere which could have been to the point am at the best in series. And as i suspected after doing some reading up, script changes, budget cuts and director changes seem to have changed what the original premise/vision for the film was. Such a shame

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, DarloKid said:

i posted this in the movie review talk thread & thought id also post here for abit more discussion 

Now onto the first 4 Hellraiser films for me the first is a really good film, i know loads old it to a high esteem in horror circles. Maybe i don't hold it to that high level as i didnt see it as kid, i dont know but still a real good film. Infact the first 3 films i gave ***1/2 too on Letterboxd. Now for the 4th film (*** i rated it), Bloodline. This was good but, i think there was a really great film in here somewhere which could have been to the point am at the best in series. And as i suspected after doing some reading up, script changes, budget cuts and director changes seem to have changed what the original premise/vision for the film was. Such a shame

That's basically the story of every Hellraiser film after number 3. The rights owners simply took pre-existing scripts, wove Pinhead and Hellraiser themes through them and released them for a quick, easy profit. The first one after Doug Bradley left the role was only made so they could keep the rights, so fuck all was spent on it and they just threw out any old shite.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

That's basically the story of every Hellraiser film after number 3. The rights owners simply took pre-existing scripts, wove Pinhead and Hellraiser themes through them and released them for a quick, easy profit. The first one after Doug Bradley left the role was only made so they could keep the rights, so fuck all was spent on it and they just threw out any old shite.

Wasn't it directed by one of the make-up/VFX guys because they didn't want to spend the money on a director, and made the whole thing in a week? I'm sure I recall reading that at some stage. Doug Bradley (who is a lovely bloke) was not happy at all about it, understandably. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, mim731 said:

Wasn't it directed by one of the make-up/VFX guys because they didn't want to spend the money on a director, and made the whole thing in a week? I'm sure I recall reading that at some stage. Doug Bradley (who is a lovely bloke) was not happy at all about it, understandably. 

Yep. Same as Hellraiser: Judgement which  was written and directed by Gary J. Tunnicliffe, who was also in charge of the make-up effects and co-starred in it as "The Auditor". Talk about spreading yourself thin!

They wanted Doug Bradley back for Pinhead, but were demanding he signed a non-disclosure agreement with a £1m penalty just to see the script, and he rightly told them to get fucked.

• 3 months later...

Seems like the right time of the year to bring this thread up.

Who has seen Malignant?

Looking forward to Halloween Kills?

Enjoying the latest episodes of The Walking Dead?

Hyped for the latest Scream Movie?

spacer.png

May as well put this in here as it's been bumped rather than the VHS thread. The talk about Shudder on another thread made me take up the free trial after googling what was on there and spotting a few films I'd been meaning to watch for years. 1st up I thought I'd watch Re-Animator followed by From Beyond as I was in the mood for some crazy practical effects and I'd only seen clips/stills from these. Ended up dissapointed as I'm guessing there's a US & UK version of Shudder as I couldn't find these but watched them both over the past 2 nights anyway on an app on my Firestick.

These were both great fun and the effects were mental so I'm in the mood to watch more films along these lines, 2 I've found on Shudder which I've not seen but had on my watchlist forever are Scanners & Society are there any more to look out for? Don't have to be on Shudder the cinemahd app I use pulls up most films

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, TheSurgeon said:

Seems like the right time of the year to bring this thread up.

Who has seen Malignant?

Looking forward to Halloween Kills?

Hyped for the latest Scream Movie?

Yes, I enjoyed it overall

Kinda. Early reviews have been poor, I really liked the last one, so I am still going to see it at the cinema

I still haven't seen the 4th entry, just felt like it was a cashgrab. I'll see what I think when the trailer drops (allegedly later today)

We’ve been working our way through the Halloween franchise ahead of the new one coming out.

Halloween (1978) is great, especially when you think about how it was made on such a small budget. Halloween 2 (1981) wasn’t as good but still an OK film with plenty of suspense.

3 has nothing to do with the rest of the series (as was intended originally for all films to be standalone movies under the Halloween name) and a bit shit. 4: Return of Michael Myers was a slight improvement, but 5: Revenge of Michael Myers and 6: Curse of Michael Myers are both utter dogshit, 6 in particular achieves that strange phenomenon of having 10 times the budget of the original yet somehow looking 10 times cheaper. I could’ve sworn that 6 would’ve been a straight to video job it looks so bad, but apparently it did have a theatrical release.

H20: 20 Years Later was probably only evelvated somewhat but the previous one being so fucking bad, although it’s worth a watch for Josh Hartnett looking like The Big Show next to all the other high schoolers. Theres a fun but subtle as a brick in the face moment featuring Janet Lee too.

Resurrection has Busta Rhymes getting top billing. That tells you everything you need to know about that one.

We’re up the two Rob Zombie films now, the other Halloween and Halloween 2 🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

I rewatched Trick R Treat last night. It's criminally underrated and the talk of the studio intentionally sinking it seems to make sense, which is a shame because it really could have relaunched the horror anthology films with that sly wink to the camera that the original Creepshow did so well. I really don't think the studio realised how close they were to having a bankable franchise character with Sam either. 

• Paid Members

I got Shudder for the month, more for convenience reasons than anything. It's improved hugely since last year and actually has quite a lot of really good films on it, and a few of their originals and exclusives are alright too. Which makes you wonder why The Horror Channel still manages to be so fucking awful after all these years.