Best crisps?

TheToeSucker

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Harry Wiseau said:

Has anyone tried Slabs crisps? I saw them last time I was in Farm Foods and thought they were pricey but they were invoiced in their weekly email which makes me think that it might be a good price for them (£1.99 or two for £3) sounds expensive but they look incredibly thick. The main thing that caught my eye was the flavour selection - salt and vinegar, cheese and onion, all the classics, even that old favourite crisp flavour EGG! Egg flavour crisps? Egg! Has anyone braved them?

Obviously egg and chips works but on a crisp? I'm going to have to try them 

Walkers did an English breakfast crisp for a promotion which were quite eggy and shit.

Hipster favourites Torres do a Fried Egg flavour crisp, which was mentioned a fair few pages back. They're incredibly morish but I ate a whole bag and couldn't decide how much I liked them.

My wife however was livid that I spent best part of a fiver on, "........a bag of farts...".

3 hours ago, Harry Wiseau said:

Has anyone tried Slabs crisps? I saw them last time I was in Farm Foods and thought they were pricey but they were invoiced in their weekly email which makes me think that it might be a good price for them (£1.99 or two for £3) sounds expensive but they look incredibly thick. The main thing that caught my eye was the flavour selection - salt and vinegar, cheese and onion, all the classics, even that old favourite crisp flavour EGG! Egg flavour crisps? Egg! Has anyone braved them?

Obviously egg and chips works but on a crisp? I'm going to have to try them 

I really like them. The first time I tried it, I genuinely didn’t know whether I liked it or not. It absolutely tastes as it’s supposed to, it’s very eggy, but it’s a bit jarring initially. But the more I ate, the more it grew on me. They’re very moreish.

• Paid Members

I liked the Walkers Builder's Breakfast eggy crisps, and I like the Torres Tried Egg crisps too. The imported east Asian Salted Egg crisps I posted a few pages back were not good - flavour was OK, texture was soggy and greasy.

• Paid Members

The Shirker's Rest pub in New Cross sell Slabs, and they're superb. I usually go salt and vinegar, though they've recently branched out to Sweet Chilli, so definitely going to have to give them a go.

They cracked the secret of the Egg & Chips flavour, though - they give you a little pot of HP sauce to go with them.

So I got some egg flavour Slabs, at first it was really weird because they REALLY taste like fried egg, strangely so. I wasn't convinced last night because it was weird but this morning I tried them with some brown sauce (the lidl copy of  Tiptree) and it was an eye opener, bloody lovely stuff, but then I took it up a notch and had a crisp sandwich, lots of butter, brown sauce and it was amazing. I can fully recommend them. 

Edited by Harry Wiseau

• Paid Members

I've waxed lyrical about Lorenz Crunchips in here before and on the way out of the Polish shop this lunch time I spotted two flavour I can't wait to try - Falafel and Currywurst.

New ones I've tried lately.

These came in this month's Snackd box. They're from the USA and are impressively tomatoey and you get a lot in the tub. 8/10 despite not being a big fan of the flavour normally.

spacer.png

spacer.png

These also came in the box and I'm including them here despite them being more of a crouton. From Ukraine, 10/10. They're wicked, also comes in a salami flavour.

spacer.png

New gimmicky Doritos will always get bought by me as I'm an idiot. 

spacer.png

Not too bad, more of a BBQ flavour than anything and again, despite me not liking that flavour at all, decent enough, 7/10. Good dust crust for your finger @air_raid :)

Finally, thought I'd share this. 

Ian (BrutalMoose) is probably my favourite YouTuber (reminder that I'm 38) and these crisps are all from Korea. I need to try those Churro ones.

Warning: he has a pretty grating twang and some of his humour is a bit weird if you are going into the video cold, but I have watched hours of this man eating frozen dinners and walking around malls as he is the absolute loveliest.

The arcade videos are highly recommended as are the aforementioned frozen dinners where he rates (you've guessed it) frozen dinners.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Not too bad, more of a BBQ flavour than anything and again, despite me not liking that flavour at all, decent enough, 7/10. Good dust crust for your finger @air_raid :)

Actually had a pack of those last weekend! Mrs raid insisted on getting Doritos brand (and only Doritos brand) sour cream dip for them, which after failure in Asda and Tesco, as usual, we sourced from GoLocal.

• 2 weeks later...