The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Project Nim said:

I’ve missed something clearly but how did Eddie Kingston cost Punk the chance of a match against Orange Cassidy?

Because Punk was going to wrestling OC but because Eddie picked a fight with him he decided to forgo it in favour of calling Eddie out or something like that. Didn't make a huge amount of sense. 

• Paid Members
On 11/5/2021 at 5:39 PM, Loki said:

Not something we will ever hear AEW say!

I'm not sold on this "redemption" Punk arc.  I think you're all right, that IS what they're doing, but then in his first match back after 7 years they had him beat one of their brightest rising stars!  Which when he struggles a few weeks later to get past Bobby Fish, makes it look both like Punk is going backwards, or that maybe Darby isn't that big of a deal.

It reminds me in a way of when WCW signed Bret Hart - beyond the initial buzz they clearly hadn't got any plans for what to do with him, and by the time the cycled him into the main event his aura was lost.  

The way out of this, for me, is to turn Punk heel.  That's his natural habitat, he's an unlikeable guy.  That "unprofessional" to Kingston made him look like a dick.

Exactly this. Do the 'Punk getting back into it' storyline if you want, but don't put him over red hot Darby Allin on night one.

Only just watched today and I’ve never seen a tag team as uncoordinated as Kalisto and Aero Star. They were awful together in terms of their tagging etc.

I hate to focus on that but it was bugging the life out of me.

Outside of that, a decent show. Hangman is just tremendous. Miro v Bryan outside WWE constraints sounds incredible.

In the run up to All Out Darby was caught up dealing with 2.0 and Daniel Garcia. On the Rampage a couple of days before the PPV he even had the match against Garcia which ended with the beatdown that Punk interrupted.

They made it out to be the young risk taker stretching himself a little too thin against a veteran top tier talent.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

With Rocky Romero being announced for next week and Ishii and Okada flying in for New Japan Strong next Saturday I’m praying there’s a chance of Okada turning up on the following Dynamite. 

The moment I read that Okada was in America I expected Danielson vs. Okada on some random episode of Rampage in the upcoming weeks. Would fit this current run of just letting Bryan wrestle whoever he wants.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, FUM said:

Only just watched today and I’ve never seen a tag team as uncoordinated as Kalisto and Aero Star. They were awful together in terms of their tagging etc.

I hate to focus on that but it was bugging the life out of me.

Outside of that, a decent show. Hangman is just tremendous. Miro v Bryan outside WWE constraints sounds incredible.

Aero Star just isn't the guy he was five years ago. I love the daft bastard to bits for his run in Lucha Underground but from what I've seen his style is reckless even considered among the dive-heavy lucha style and the knocks have been catching up with him as he gets older.

• Paid Members

I think JR was having one of his rough nights. Just in the opening 15, he claimed Bryan was in the final of the tag team titles eliminator tournament, said the contract signing was coming up tonight on Rampage and then announced, up next, the Inter Circle. I think it was catching because Ex said Britt was defending at the PPV against the number one ranked, Thunder Rosa. TBF to them, having to remember and explain all that Chaos and NJPW nonsense took some doing. Between that and Hangman’s line about Kenny's other tag partner, I presume Kenny transitions to Okada? Otherwise, fucking stop it, no one cares.

Great finish to this show. AEW love a shocking reveal angle straight out of 1998, but so do I so I loved this. Someone spotted Callis had been removed from the PPV graphics so there was speculation about him yesterday. Clever little plant that.

Bryan/Ronero was good. Pac/Harwood was very good. Show absolutely flew by. I enjoyed it a lot.

• Paid Members

@tiger_rick Kenny's other partner was surely a hint at Ibushi?

If the door is wide open, I can see that match happening sooner rather than later too.

I enjoyed the show but it felt a tad more plodding along at times than usual, maybe just as it needed to talk so much about Saturday. But the line up for the rest of the week is solid so I can't really complain. PAC is wonderful too.

It was a decent enough show. Maybe it's just the impression I got, but as a go home show I thought it could have had a bit more momentum. I think AEW do this a lot though. The general mood around the promotion is so on-high that there's enough stuff out there to get hyped, then a Dynamite comes along and it's just supplementary to that rather than being the main driving force behind it. 

There's not a lot of times I sit there wishing they'd emulate WWE in their better days, but I felt like they could have dialled down the "How many undercard match combinations can we machine gun through this week?" stuff on this occasion and allowed some of the big angles more time to breath instead. Sometimes more drama and less wrestling is fine for a big go home show. I thought this one could have benefited from more backstage segments, more promo time in ring and especially more time for the contract signing. The reveal right at the end was so well done, but it could have been a fifteen minute segment rather than a seven. It felt like both guys were just getting their lines out, and the match is clearly bigger than that. I really felt this of all things should have been a slower segment. 

Who makes way? Dante Martin and Lio Rush. Their stuff does nothing for me. It feels like they've been doing this thing for about a thousand weeks now where Lio - I hate gimmicks where undercard guys are meant to be talent agents of repute - tries to big up Dante whilst he stands there with the same face I have before getting on boats. 

Agree that lio Rush tag and wardlow match had no place on this show to cram a two year story into a 7 minute go home. Really let down by that segment 

have watched half last night, and half this morning so mixed views and memories, but I seen that many heels beating down Sundays opponents through the show that one camera shot meant nothing to me by time it closed the show. It has felt a while they have gotten better at removing repetition from shows, last night was bad for it .