The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

They'd been pushing him quite a bit even before that, seems almost daft to me that they'd spend that much time on someone they weren't sure of signing. And I'm not saying you're wrong as you'd be closer to the situation than anyone here, it's more a case of what are AEW playing at if they're still umming and ahing.

27 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

They'd been pushing him quite a bit even before that, seems almost daft to me that they'd spend that much time on someone they weren't sure of signing. And I'm not saying you're wrong as you'd be closer to the situation than anyone here, it's more a case of what are AEW playing at if they're still umming and ahing.

Well....he'd been on television. But watch those matches back - every time it was Pillman Jr. taking the heat, Griff got the hot tag, and Brian tagged back in to get pinned. Every single time. When the Pinnacle kicked their ass, Brian got laid out and Griff didn't. Even in their big main event match against the Bucks after the Dark Side doc, with the momentum he had, it was still Brian that took the fall and not Griff. I'm sure they were going to sign them, but I'm not sure how serious they were about them until fans chanted for Brian at Double or Nothing.

I know there were other things going on that caused some trepidation also, but he seems to have overcome it. I like the team a lot, this is good to help him grow.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

9 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

I know there were other things going on that caused some trepidation also, but he seems to have overcome it. I like the team a lot, this is good to help him grow.

"I know something you don't know."

Bought your book last week and very much looking forward to reading it but comments like this are not needed. You know things we don't know, great. Your doing the right thing by not divulging this information, keeps you credible. So no need to make this statement at all. 

Back on topic, Griff Garrison is a future star and I think it's fantastic that the AEW higher ups have picked up on this so early. Also the person who said he needs to stop wearing trunks clearly doesn't see the attention Griff, Sammy G and KIP get on twitter 😉

Edited by NavigatorFan

I didn't mean it like that - Meltzer (I think, may have been Mike Johnson) said on his radio show that Brian rubbed people the wrong way when he first got there, wasn't trying to act coy about secret knowledge, I just couldn't remember who it was that said it (or exactly what they said) so I didn't want to get it wrong.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

That was possibly the best two hours of television AEW have ever put out IMO. Everything flowed nicely, promos were on point and the only minor negative was QT appearing on screen. The Hangman run looks to be getting some good steam now, should be a great few months of TV. Darby is a mad man, the spot onto the steps looked brutal. 

• Paid Members

We’ve got that thread on here looking at the highs and lows of the Covid era in WWE. Well one thing is for certain. The best thing WWE did throughout the entire pandemic was deciding to run from this show and move NXT to Tuesdays. Imagine if they were still trying to compete with this? The difference in quality is absolutely insane. They’re leagues apart.

In no time at all AEW have returned to that February 2020 level of just being a fucking brilliant pro-wrestling TV show. Brightly-lit, filled with stars, crazy crowd reactions and loads of fun and energy. Just a complete buzz to sit through. Time flies and you’re left excited for next week. It always felt like AEW were building stars and momentum for when the fans would eventually return, but I never could have imagined they’d hit the ground running and be producing television this good this quickly.

You know the company is hot again when even Cody bins off all his trainees and mates, deciding to be -  you know - good again. That segment was easily the best thing he’s done in about a year. Still love the black and white suits, too. Cute stuff

Specifically though, I can’t handle how good the Hangman thing is. Another absolutely belting segment. Home run again and again. They’re fucking doing it. They’re sticking the landing. More fool me for ever doubting them and thinking they’d do the match at Fight for the Fallen. I can’t say enough good things about this angle. I could cry. After what’s felt like decades of failed top babyfaces being presented as unlikeable, dumb morons with no friends, here comes the most wholesome, authentic hero, backed up by a bunch of lovable goofs, not only standing up to the bullies but looking out for his friends at the same time. And they didn’t touch again! Absolutely perfect. I cannot wait for that big ten man tag. By the time All Out happens I’m not going to be able to sleep due to my excitement.

And yeah. Of course. Nick topped himself again.

5E22C2A8-6F1B-431E-8266-2317B8CEDA12.thumb.jpeg.13aa57e242d247cc2aea874b0294e711.jpeg

Outstanding.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

What a crowd that was. The show could have been good, bad or great and it wouldn't have mattered after that first two minutes of Wild Thing hitting and the crowd roaring Mox and Eddie to the ring. Sensational stuff.

Great to see the Hangman stuff gaining momentum. We're so used to stuff dying on the vine, I just sit in fear of it.

Was not ready for the crowd to be behind Ricky Starks like it's 1982 and Lawler is walking out in Memphis. Madness.

Already know they are gonna tease omega and hangman making contact a bunch in the ten man and the crowd going wild for each one. 

9 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

I didn't mean it like that - Meltzer (I think, may have been Mike Johnson) said on his radio show that Brian rubbed people the wrong way when he first got there, wasn't trying to act coy about secret knowledge, I just couldn't remember who it was that said it (or exactly what they said) so I didn't want to get it wrong.

Fair play, I misread the intent but also was totally unaware that anything had been reported regarding Pillman rubbing people up the wrong way. 

What a thoroughly great episode of Dynamite this week. I enjoyed everything but the biggest star of the night was 100% the crowd enthusiasm, man I have missed that! Main event was fantastic, Darby is crazy. Was great to see Sting brawling in the crowd looking like he was having the time of his life too!