The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

It was a good episode. Rampage this Friday looks stacked, and next week's Dynamite has potential to be a cracker. I wonder whether Punk is going to cost MJF the ring, but how would it benefit Dante Martin? The only other thing I can see happening is that Team Taz try to cost Dante. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Tsurutagun said:

Danielson turned into a prick when Page pointed out that he beat Omega in less than 30 mins. Danielson's pride was wounded and he's taken it out on Hangman's mates

In kayfabe, Punk wasn't expecting that reaction and his pride got hurt and he lashed out and used what he knew would get under the skins of the Long Island fans. As a massive hockey fan he went for the hockey team which is the only team of the big 4 sports based in Long Island.

Danielson and Punk in wrestling canon are underneath their nice guy exteriors actually massive dickheads, all it needs is things not to go their way. 

I didn't think it was Punks best showing. Resorting to the same Islanders dig 3 times (once again going for the low hanging fruit he took a shot at MJF for), just didn't come across great for me. It was also jarring doing that, then having MJF come out for the battle royale right after. They really do need to tighten up their continuity. His video was superb though.

Sue was yet again a Queen though, and Trent looked nails.

Edited by KJHenley

13 minutes ago, KJHenley said:

It was also jarring doing that, then having MJF come out for the battle royale right after. They really do need to tighten up their continuity.

I think they did it that way for things to make sense for people on TV. It was bizarro night with MJF getting the hero's welcome. If CM Punk hadn't tee'd up things up, it would have been a quick explanation from the announce team before heading into the video package.

6 hours ago, Chris B said:

Someone suggested that Dante could be part of a Malakai Black story. Basically, everyone he's hit with the mist has started acting unusually. Cody's gone weird (even for Cody), Dante has started betraying everyone, and Pac has been more aggressive (although Pac was already a bastard, so less noticeable with him). Basically, the mist is the recruitment, spreading his corruption.

At Winter is Coming, there's a backstage segment where we see each person Black sprayed the mist on. They are hearing a cover version of All Along The Watchtower in their heads, but we can also hear it because it's a TV show. They each indivdually realise....the music is coming from the frakking arena! Then they make their way out to the ring and stand in a circle and Cody says "we're...in the House of Black?"

Also: Julia Hart bust my eardrums.

Edited by 69MeDon

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Supremo said:

I’m absolutely terrified of the inevitable Undisputed Era reunion though. On paper it’s exciting, Fish and O’Reilly will make a great addition to the tag division and The Elite vs. Undisputed Era 6-man with either Omega or even Hangman is a real dream match, but how do you get there without The Young Bucks turning babyface?

I'm just terrified of it in general. I thought they overstayed their welcome as a group in NXT & have no desire to see a retread anywhere else.

Whilst he's still a long way from being a favourite, my attitude to Adam Cole has softened considerably since he's been in AEW & I think it's mostly down to him being associated/interacting with different people and not the tired old UE.

When they set up that match a month or so ago with Cole teaming with Fish in the main event of Rampage (against Jurassic Express IIRC) I really thought it was going to end with Fish taking the pin and Cole abandoning him to be with his proper mates, and they almost did that - Cole headed off up the ramp with the Bucks leaving Fish in the ring. But then they just teamed together again, and won matches too.

All that I took from Trent’s return was that the right side of his hairline is receding quicker than the left.

Oh, and the so called Superkliq got sent packing by Trent Barretta. Trent fucking Baretta. Jesus Christ

Other than it was a fairly decent show apart from Punk flogging that dead horse of an Islanders joke

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

The best thing about MJF's stuff this week is it would have worked just as well if the crowd hadn't liked him. The over the top claiming of being a hometown hero, if the crowd hadn't adopted him as that, would have been absolutely wonderful.

I think I agree that Punk wasn't brilliant. He did the right thing and was consistent with his character, but it was probably one too many Islanders jokes.

I'm very up for ReDragon vs Bucks in a Cole on a Pole match. It writes itself.

Ultimately though, Cole will need to stay away from O'reilly and Fish if he does come in. Don't hook them up as a faction after the inevitable, keep Cole with the Bucks, there's way too many miles in the SuperKliq as heels yet to start breaking them up, particularly as you have to assume Kenny is coming back as a face when he does return and the dynamic there.

You could do a story where Cole is just stringing Fish and O'Reilly along, pretending to be their best but being really insincere about it until they turn on him and go it alone, turning them face and keeping him heel, I Guess.

Fish & O'Reilly to join Cole and the Bucks as the "Undisputed Elite" ?

In all seriousness though I imagine that's where its heading, to match up Best Friends in a 10 man match at some point. In a way it could actually set up the return of Omega nicely with Cole having taken over the Elite by bringing his own mates in.

Edited by The King of Old School

1 hour ago, The King of Old School said:

Fish & O'Reilly to join Cole and the Bucks as the "Undisputed Elite" ?

In all seriousness though I imagine that's where its heading, to match up Best Friends in a 10 man match at some point. In a way it could actually set up the return of Omega nicely with Cole having taken over the Elite by bringing his own mates in.

And one man from Chaos to even the numbers and make it rain..?

• Paid Members

Unfortunately, it'll be the usual case of a week or few days of outrage, before people get bored and move along (see Darby Allin, Jay Lethal, Riddle etc). It's an easy thing for Tony or WWE to explain away the outrage as the tribalists trying to score points, which is probably the case for the most part which is why the anger never seems to stick. 

1 hour ago, Infinity Land said:

Couldn't see a Ring of Honor thread, but looks like the Briscoes are going to be turning up for a specific feud at the very least :(

As someone who knows very little about the Briscoes, whats the story here? I’m assuming there’s controversy that I’m unaware of?