The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Fantastic show and the main event proper hooked me.

One comment though, when the crowd threw the belt back in JR called it "a dangerous thing to do" but its ok for Cody to throw a belt with a metal buckle in it into a bunch of people. what happens if it lands in someones eye

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

That was always the issue with TNA, it wasn't that they mentioned WWE, it was that they always made themselves seem so inferior. Bryan mentioning WrestleMania for heat was great. MJF being called a less famous Miz was hilarious. Cody teasing hitting the pedigree was good too, same when it looked like Puink might do the five knuckle shuffle.

That's very subjective surely? Because watching it on Friday night I didn't think that describing an AEW wrestler, albeit a heel during a back and forth promo, as being less famous than a WWE midcarder exactly put him in a good light. Particularly because, given WWE's historic footprint, its bloody true.

Fair enough AEW has a lot of fans and goodwill on this forum, and are cut a lot of slack as a result, but that was a bit shit imo and was an open goal for the inevitable retaliation on Raw last night (from what I read).

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
Just now, garynysmon said:

That's very subjective surely? Because watching it on Friday night I didn't think that describing an AEW wrestler, albeit a heel during a back and forth promo, as being less famous than a WWE midcarder exactly put him in a good light.

Fair enough AEW has a lot of fans and goodwill on this forum, and are cut a lot of slack as a result, but that was a bit shit imo and was an open goal for the inevitable retaliation on Raw last night (from what I read).

He was belittling him. He called him a jealous fan, said he had a poster of him up on his bedroom wall and said he'd dropped behind Britt Baker as a pillar of AEW. It was completely in context. Of course it didn't put him in a good light.

The key to doing stuff like this is not to overdo it. TNA did it far too often in a weak position and looked desperate and also never did it in an entertaining way.

AEW don't need to do it. But if they choose their moments wisely then it absolutely makes sense to do it, especially when they're trying to sell themselves as the company that has all the doors open and is willing to work with anyone and acknowledge the rest of the wrestling world. It'd be fucking daft if they chose to acknowledge everyone but WWE, especially considering how successful a lot of their talents were in WWE. You end up looking even more stupid that way.

I can't remember who I saw a tweet from but they said it was the best promo in like a decade or something. I mean that's obviously bollocks, but it was definitely good, and it'll remain good as long as they don't do it too often. The style and the content etc isn't something that would work for them on an ongoing basis but once in a while? Absolutely.

Big Swole has announced she’s leaving AEW. I’m not massively surprised given that she’s not featured on the main show for some time. I’ll be interested to see what she does next. She struck me as someone who had potential, even if she hasn’t quite fulfilled it yet.

(EDIT: No idea why the above text is grey)

Edited by RedRooster

18 hours ago, air_raid said:

Worked shoot is 10 years past producing anything meaningful or particularly memorable and 20 years past the peak of its intrigue. With the world of Twitter and podcasts there’s plenty of places to hear the workers shoot, on TV people just want them to work.

I take your point but I still think a large proportion of the viewing public are drawn to work that feels real and drawing authentically on real events is timeless. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, IronSheik said:

work that feels real

You can make things feel real without flashing a big neon sign that reads “It’s all “real” wink wink nudge nudge but this part’s ACTUALLY REAL!!11” because it often has the opposite effect - it’s the same level as when Matt Hardy said “Lita was married to Kane on TV but Amy Dumas came home every night to me.” I don’t need Punk telling his rival he’s less good at playing a similar heel character to a guy that works on the other show. I’m watching YOUR show, don’t talk about the other show, and especially don’t remind me it’s just a show. It’s supposed to feel real.

4 hours ago, IronSheik said:

drawing authentically on real events is timeless

I couldn’t disagree more. I want wrestling to be entertainment and escapism, I don’t need AEW going overboard with “look at this compared to what the guys on the other show are doing” any more than I need Edge or Liv Morgan reminding me characters aren’t on the show because the real people behind them lost their jobs.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Big Swole has announced she’s leaving AEW. I’m not massively surprised given that she’s not featured on the main show for some time. I’ll be interested to see what she does next. She struck me as someone who had potential, even if she hasn’t quite fulfilled it yet.

(EDIT: No idea why the above text is grey)

She's been suffering from Crohn's disease for some time which is why she hasn't been around and most likely why she's leaving.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, air_raid said:

You can make things feel real without flashing a big neon sign that reads “It’s all “real” wink wink nudge nudge but this part’s ACTUALLY REAL!!11” because it often has the opposite effect - it’s the same level as when Matt Hardy said “Lita was married to Kane on TV but Amy Dumas came home every night to me.” I don’t need Punk telling his rival he’s less good at playing a similar heel character to a guy that works on the other show. I’m watching YOUR show, don’t talk about the other show, and especially don’t remind me it’s just a show. It’s supposed to feel real.

That's an apples and chalk comparison. The Hardy stuff is shit. If we got MJF doing some wink, wink, nudge, nudge stuff about Colt Cabana, it'd be similarly shit but none of this was that cryptic. He compared a snivelling heel to a similar snivelling heel on the most famous wrestling company in the world. None of that is over anyone's head, breaking kayfabe or being disingenuous to the storytelling. It's nothing like the Hardy stuff.

They trod that line very well, albeit as I've said ad nauseum, I'd have just done the Miz line.

I think the YouTube comments for the promo actually reveal the biggest problem for post pipe bomb promos. Fans are claiming its the greatest promo ever because they were "dropping truths" but a good promo doesn't need to "drop truths" to make it believable or to make people care. Did watching this promo make me care enough to tune into their match? No. 

Ultimately it came across as two kids in a playground dissing each other while a crowd of people went "oh no you didn't." 

The problem with The Miz line is that it's true but meaningless. It doesn't male me want to see Punk beat a "less famous version of The Miz" (quite the opposite, I now want to see the actual Miz beat him) and I don't want to see MJF get revenge on Punk for the line. It doesn't seem to have had much impact on MJF either. He just carried on doing his promo. 

The UFC stuff is even more shit. I don't need reminding that Punk is a shit fighter while you're selling me on a fight. It's truth for the sake of truth.

The real grit, to me at least, is that Punk is what he always claimed to rally against. He's the veteran who left the business and came back to be given lengthy promos, an immediate PPV match against the hottest star in the company and that he's a hypocrite. I could believe that would get under Punk's skin. It's truth but for a reason. It's not just MJF doing a HHH impression. 

The promo wasn't helped by Punk standing there with his arms crossed for much of it. The only time he really reacts is with the idea that he didn't know if the fans would still care, ironically the biggest fiction in the promo, and the rest of the time he's fairly dismissive like he's 'untouchable.' Which is a criticism that you'd actually believe the character would take yo heart.

I dunno. It's an entertaining love letter to the WWE in its performance, tone and references. Whether they should be spending 20 minutes reminding you of the real stars that aren't in their promotion is a different discussion. 

8 minutes ago, Vamp said:

Fans are claiming its the greatest promo ever

Job done then, surely? 

There's been plenty of times over the last ten years we've dissected and critiqued these kind of promos when all they are - really - is a natural pro wrestling style melding of scripted drama and reality based roots. It's been going on forever, it's almost always a talking point the next day, and it's been done here by two guys who practically have it as their gimmick. 

On 11/28/2021 at 8:15 PM, 69MeDon said:

This week's Dynamite is looking like a lot of fun (Rampage, too, although I really don't give a fuck about Tony Nese):

Dynamite:

Atlanta Street Fight: Andrade El Ídolo vs. Cody Rhodes
TBS Championship Tournament: Kris Statlander vs. Ruby Soho
Bryan Danielson vs. Alan "5" Angels
Gunn Club vs. Sting & Darby Allin

Rampage:

TNT Championship: Sammy Guevara (c) vs. Tony Nese
AEW World Tag Team Championship - Best 2 Out Of 3 Falls Match: Lucha Brothers (c) vs. FTR

They've added CM Punk vs Lee Moriarty to tonight's show. It seems like tonight is going to be great. I don't even mind seeing Billy Gunn and the Ass Boys since it also involves Sting. I swear, every week, I think there's no way this week will be as good as last week and, normally, it's at least as good. Often better.

Also: I'm really invested in the Codyverse lately. The matches are almost always fun, at minimum, because of the chaos.

Edited by 69MeDon

Can't believe Andrade & Black have both been "Cody'd" in the last last few weeks.

Both would have made really good feuds for Hangman in the next few months, no point now though.

Just need Cody to go through Miro now to complete the set.

Danielson is great in this short term heel role isn't he, not sure I want Hangman's reign to end this early though.