Wrestlemania 36- Tampa Bay Bay

Sonny Mustang

• Paid Members

Their stubbornness really has no bounds, does it? Everything is being postponed or cancelled and here you have them insisting they can still produce their television shows on a week-to-week basis in front of empty arenas which not only looks ridiculous but puts unnecessary pressure on people to travel. If that isn't enough, they would still rather put WrestleMania on in front of nobody rather than call it off like everything else. Is there any other reason than just to say they can? Cancelling will cost millions of dollars but so will moving to a warehouse. It's preposterous but unsurprising.

• Paid Members

I can completely buy that Vince thinks he’s doing the right thing. He’ll be absolutely certain that it’s their duty to, “put smiles on faces,” and offer a distraction for people stuck at home. Him and Steph are probably already talking about how running Wrestlemania is going to save the Planet or some shit.

I think the longer they do these deathly episodes of Raw and Smackdown the more chance there is of him changing his mind though. It just doesn’t work. You aren’t distracting people. You’ve taken something they enjoy and rammed it through this weird, haunting, creepy filter.

I think I read the analogy on Twitter or Facebook, but it’s spot on regardless. Doing these shows in front of zero fans would be like if your nan died and your parents took you to Disney Land to distract you...but then brought your nan’s corpse with them.

I'm surprised at how much negativity there is about WWE trying to continue to put on a show of some sorts.

Granted, it's not a patch on the normal shows, but it's still nice to have something to watch. It's a curiosity more than anything.

Plus I'm pretty sure the majority seem determined to put on a show for the fans. It's not like Vince is forcing everyone to do all this shit. I do genuinely believe that a lot of them do have that 'the show must go on' ethic and believe they're doing what they can for them.

I guess I'm just not feeling the criticism right now. I can see why the shows aren't for everyone, and they're not ideal for ANY of us, but I have a lot of respect for them trying to do something in a very testing time.

I for one am really looking forward to Mania.

Everything else is cancelled and yet Mania carries on. 

Its a business masterstroke if you ask me. Everyone who would be forking out on football, rugby, NBA, MLB, etc will have nothing to look forward to and they will either get PPV or get on the network.

It could pull back in fans who haven't watched the product for over 10 years, and the opportunity for profit is arguably higher than if they did a big stadium show as all those 80,000 who would have been in the stadium will definitely be buying the event. 

From a spectacle perspective, I would rather they had trainees or something just so the crowd has something to get into. Screen them all before they go in, do what you have to do. 

• Paid Members

Is it a "business masterstroke"? People are terrified about every penny. Disposable income isn't a thing at the moment.

"It could pull back in fans who haven't watched the product for over 10 years"

It could, if we're being generous. What about a show that feels so completely and utterly hollow would encourage them to keep watching?

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Is it a "business masterstroke"? People are terrified about every penny. Disposable income isn't a thing at the moment.

"It could pull back in fans who haven't watched the product for over 10 years"

It could, if we're being generous. What about a show that feels so completely and utterly hollow would encourage them to keep watching?

To be honest, I’m hearing more from people who are probably going to avoid it then be brought back because of the novalty

Pulling back lapsed fans from a decade ago? Don’t see it myself. I‘ve personally found pro-wrestling presented in this manner exposes it for the nonsense it really is to be honest. Not enjoyable at all, not even from a morbid curiosity point of view (maybe the first time), but as has been mentioned it really serves as the bleakest of reminders and far from any kind of escapism.

I’d rather a shit-storm was kicked off on the socials, like has started to happen regarding the Olympics not being postponed or rather, like when they had the Moolah battle royal and that forced them to change. I understand they’ve got these big money contracts and all that, but these are completely unprecedented times and circumstances. Literally everything else is being postponed/cancelled. Surely there’ll be some leeway with that, considering. Even so, they can still produce “original” content to fill these hours without having to resort to old stuff can’t they? They must have hours of footage they’ve already filmed for the network they can sub for Raw, Smackdown, etc no? Sure there’s contract issues with that as well, but again, unique circumstances - meet in the middle to provide a much more suitable, safer solution for all involved.

Covid-19 could well be what finally gets Vince.

Edited by GeronimoJacksBeard

15 minutes ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

Covid-19 could well be what finally gets Vince.

And on his gravestone it'll say, "I told you not to sneeze, damn it."

2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

I'm surprised at how much negativity there is about WWE trying to continue to put on a show of some sorts.

Is it your first day on the wrestling Internet? There are two things that WWE does that are always met with negativity:

1. Nothing

2. Like it Something

It’s so sad- for everyone involved.

Selfishly, after attending most manias by myself, I finally had a group of wrestling buddies to go with and a weeks worth of indie shows and other activities. 

And after the spat Vince and the Tampa bay officials have no doubt been in, Im sure Wrestlemania will never come here again. 
It was going to be awesome I promise ya! 

I guess I’ll watch it on the network (if it goes ahead)- nothing else to do.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Angle_fan said:

Like I said previously, we're lucky to even be getting what we're getting. We need to just think of it as a special series. If it's the only wrestling we're going to get then I'll happily take it. 

Impact and AEW are still making shows. Will be interesting to see how AEW goes tonight