Wrestlemania 36- Tampa Bay Bay

Sonny Mustang

An interesting idea I read somewhere was if they filmed each segment and match one by one over the coming days/weeks and really go hard on cinematic angles and stuff to make it look like a movie. It's supposed to be the biggest and grandest show of the year and I thought it would be a cool way to make it slightly more interesting than an empty arena match over and over.

14 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

Surely this will die on its arse. Wrestling needs an audience to feed off IMO. How do you do heat spots without heat? 

I can hear vince right now saying "we dont need a crowd pal, it's... WWRREESSTTLLEEMMAANNIIAA!" 

Such a egotistical McMahon thing to do though he will use it in his "Top Ten Unique WWE Moments" packages for decades. 

Good luck to em. It takes balls. 

Both DDT and Stardom have put on entertaining shows recently with no audiences so it can be done.

However Wrestlemania is an entirely different beast.

• Members
1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

An interesting idea I read somewhere was if they filmed each segment and match one by one over the coming days/weeks and really go hard on cinematic angles and stuff to make it look like a movie. It's supposed to be the biggest and grandest show of the year and I thought it would be a cool way to make it slightly more interesting than an empty arena match over and over.

I thought about this earlier and if they could get away with it I think it's a good opportunity to test this type of shooting. Just thinking about Goldberg and Undertaker getting to pre record their matches over a full day, without getting blown up, having to push on through an injury, retake any botches. Go mad with the angles, edit it to fuck. It's not quite pro wrestling but it could be just the thing that saves those matches.

Maybe they could orchestrate some of the matches to replace the crowd noise. If you aren't having a crowd and can pre-tape the shows (potentially), it would give you something unique during this period. 

Yeah, I feel strangely confident that this will end up being a strong show. The lack of crowd noise will either force them to think outside the box, or leave them wanting to rush through the shoe and get it out of the way.

But...it’s Wrestlemania. Surely they wouldn’t do that, right?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Arn Anderson's Darb said:

I thought about this earlier and if they could get away with it I think it's a good opportunity to test this type of shooting. Just thinking about Goldberg and Undertaker getting to pre record their matches over a full day, without getting blown up, having to push on through an injury, retake any botches. Go mad with the angles, edit it to fuck. It's not quite pro wrestling but it could be just the thing that saves those matches.

The moment you strip out that many of the norms and the conventions of wrestling you'll unintentionally start to reject it as a viewer. It happens any time someone tries to over produce wrestling or changes the format of something drastically. Fans are so conditioned to a classic hard side / ringside camera set up that anytime a new angle pops in it takes them out of the match. It'd be jarring for a match but for an entire show without any drip feeding of the style first, it'd be insanity. It'd be the wrestling equivilant of the uncanny valley. 

The reason they are doing these Raw's and Smackdowns in an empty performance centre and not just airing 'highlight shows' is to condition us to watch Wrestlemania like this and not be too surprised or critic it that much as it will be less of a shock. We would have 3 weeks of empty Performance Centre shows so by the time its Wrestlemania so we wont find it too odd to watch although obviously it will be. WWE will not change how they produce the matches. They will go exactly how they were meant to. Vince just wants this disaster to be over with and collect the cash from sponsors. They will try spin it as if they are heroes to never cancel anything when in reality they would have if there arses were covered.

3 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

That is an interesting idea, but they would completely fuck it. One match would have more cuts than that scene in Bohemian Rhapsody. And think of the amount of crash zooms they'd have if they pre-taped it. It'd be unbearable.

• Paid Members

Surely this carry on can't really continue? What happens when one wrestler tests positive (inevitable) and therefore anyone in contact with that person (backstage, wrestling a match with them, wrestling in the same ring as that person had a recent match in etc) has to go into isolation? It seems bonkers to me to persist with building towards a show that could be completely knocked on the head at any point between now and April 5th, and all it will really take to cause that is one person at any of these tapings, testing positive. 

If WWE really want to continue with Mania, they need to either tape everything in one go, then  send everyone home until WrestleMania, or send them home now and just air some other form of content to fill the time. These live shows three times a week are just asking for problems. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Both DDT and Stardom have put on entertaining shows recently with no audiences so it can be done.

However Wrestlemania is an entirely different beast.

They should rip DDT off and just do Wrestlemania at a local swimming baths. I'd watch the shit out of that.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, King Pitcos said:

Are they still doing these shows live? It seems pointless. Although most of the roster live local to the venue anyway, don't they?

I'm not sure that they are exactly 'live' but they aren't being taped long ahead of time, in large batches. Edge, for example, was driving himself to Raw in time for what I guess would be the usual time he would get to the venue ahead of a taping. Austin flew in to be there for Monday. They weren't taping Raw/Smackdown/NXT all in one go on Friday or anything like that. 

If they really want to, they could tape three weeks worth of NXT tomorrow, then send everyone home, but it doesn't seem like that's what's happening from what I can see. Though like everything else around this pandemic, #planschange.