People you didn't get enough of

Carbomb

• Paid Members

Basically, people whose work you really enjoyed, but through either sheer bad luck like injury or timing, or through a lack of will on the part of the booker or promoter to do anything more with them.

There are quite a few for me:

Arrrmando...Alejandrrro...Estrrraaadaaa

What little I got to see of this guy, I really liked - a great sleazy heel non-wrestler. His work as Umaga's manager was good, but I particularly liked him as the GM of ECW. He was a perfect fit for it: he was too low-level to be GM of RAW or SmackDown, but he had that sleazy vibe that fit WWECW with its slightly-adult cartoony gimmicks like Kevin Thorne & Ariel, and The Zombie, etc. Because he wasn't a big name, he fit the scale of the production too. Superb talker in both content and style, distinctive look with the dodgy South American druglord suit, hat and cigar, and an over catchphrase in just rolling the Rs in his name.

IIRC he was GM for about eight months and got replaced by bloody Teddy Long (who was always better as a heel manager, I felt).

Desmond Wolfe

Had no time for Nigel McGuinness at all, but absolutely loved Desmond Wolfe. Cockney pseudo-gangster yob in the vein of Lock, Stock... with a unique technical style that he nevertheless made look violent and thuggish - something I'd not seen since Benoit, and even then wasn't quite the same. Had a nice feud with Angle, then Hogoff came in and apparently didn't see all that much in him as he just ended up floating about, sometimes getting involved with the Fortune/Immortal mess, and then seemed to have a slight resurgence with Magnus in London Brawling - but got injured and never really recovered.

Waylon Mercy

Probably the poster boy for this category, the sense of having missed out has been somewhat diminished by having seen a fair bit of early Bray Wyatt, who probably did the gimmick better. However, I got more of a loner vibe with Mercy, so it would've been interesting seeing him as the serial killer psycho loner, eventually coming into conflict with Sid.

Rick Martel in WCW

I didn't get to see much WCW, but I got to see Martel's mini-run in it, and it strikes me as a massive shame that injuries cut his career short, because he clearly had plenty left to offer. Was in good shape, had physical presence and charisma, and could work good, entertaining matches. I didn't catch any promos, but we already knew he could do them.

Any others come to mind?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Bruiser Brody. I knew he was good, but not quite as amazing as he was until I revisited him recently. Just imagine if he'd gone to the WWF in the 80s!

Brody and Nord as a team? We'd have been spared the Berserker. I worry that he might have just been fed to Hogan then left to mooch around the mid card or given a gimmick. Maybe we'd have had two Berserkers. 

2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Brody and Nord as a team? We'd have been spared the Berserker. I worry that he might have just been fed to Hogan then left to mooch around the mid card or given a gimmick. Maybe we'd have had two Berserkers. 

The bushzerkers?

• Paid Members

Spirit Squad. They were ace. Proper bunch of whacky dickheads. Super entertaining and it was great how many supposed, "smart," fans lost their minds about the sacred, high-brow art of professional wrestling being sullied by having male cheerleader characters. Plus, the way they started introducing the trampoline into their matches had unrivaled potential. They never really went anywhere with it but if that had become a staple and they'd started doing high spots off it? They could've become huge babyfaces, I reckon.

Seriously. Dolph Ziggler never managed to reach such heights again.

Good thread, I echo the statements above Marty Jannetty. I even think IF he stayed around in 1996 he could have had a further feud against Shawn Michaels for the championship at the B level Pay Per Views. Jannetty could have portrayed the heel who was jealous of how popular Shawn had become and he was so bitter about the Barber shop incident. 

The Patriot in 1997 as well, I was such a fan of his and would have loved to have seen how things would have panned out if he had not have been injured. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Desmond Wolfe

Had no time for Nigel McGuinness at all, but absolutely loved Desmond Wolfe. Cockney pseudo-gangster yob in the vein of Lock, Stock... with a unique technical style that he nevertheless made look violent and thuggish - something I'd not seen since Benoit, and even then wasn't quite the same. Had a nice feud with Angle, then Hogoff came in and apparently didn't see all that much in him as he just ended up floating about, sometimes getting involved with the Fortune/Immortal mess, and then seemed to have a slight resurgence with Magnus in London Brawling - but got injured and never really recovered.

Yeah, I'll echo this one. I never took to Nigel McGuinness for some reason (it was his stupid haircut, if I'm honest) but really liked the whole aesthetic of Desmond.

He was great fun as the Commissioner of Xplosion at the very end of his TNA run too:

"There's a couple of wankers in the back who I'm gonna bring out for a match."

"Robbie E, what a Helen Hunt."

Plus, Chelsea ❤

Archived