People you didn't get enough of

Carbomb

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

On a similar note, Dan Severn. Lacked the WWF-style charisma to be a top level star at the time, particularly as they were moving away from using managers at the time, and they were probably reluctant to commit to anything with him due to his UFC and NWA commitments, but he should have been huge. That they never did Shamrock vs. Severn, or even gave him a notional top level run is insane, even given the level of talent around at the time. 

I'd have settled for him tagging with Dr Death, which is my number one fantasy booking.

That he's still taking bookings, and Shamrock has resurfaced looking like a terrifying old man brawler, makes me hold out hope that somehow books them together later down the line.

I just don’t see how Severn should have been huge, especially in The Attitude Era, he just looked like some old guy with a muzzy. I liked him as he was different, but compared to the gimmicks they had going on then he just didnt fit in and didnt have the personality to break through.

• Paid Members

All-time great college wrestler, as big a name in the UFC's early days as Shamrock, about as much credibility as you could possibly hope for. Him just overpowering and suplexing jobbers around like the early '90s Steiner Brothers should have been a recurring feature on RAW for months, and him and Shamrock should have been a marquee feud and match.

Can you imagine now, WWE having two of the biggest names in MMA under contract, with an established rivalry between them, both with one win apiece, and never once booking them to fight each other? It's mental.

Him not having a gimmick becomes a gimmick in itself when everyone else has one. When everyone else is an outlandish character, being the no nonsense wrestling machine is a gimmick. 

Hook him up with a decent manager, hype up his legitimate success, give him matches where he gets to do this to disposable jobbers;

And he should be a can't miss prospect. He was never going to be the main event, because post-neck injury Steve Austin isn't going to take suplexes from Dan Severn if he wasn't prepared to take them from Taz, but he could easily have been the guy to beat on the way up.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, big7thletter said:

in all seriousness, Ken Shamrock. He had the look, the talent, dude was a beast and had a nice gimmick of snapping and would make you believe that he could actually take the likes of austin, rock etc.

I thought his snapping gimmick was bollocks. Made him seem like a temper tantrum throwing berk, especially when you're mainly doing it on referees. It made him seem dumb, rather than dangerous. 

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I thought his snapping gimmick was bollocks. Made him seem like a temper tantrum throwing berk, especially when you're mainly doing it on referees. It made him seem dumb, rather than dangerous. 

Yep. The reason I never got into him. Even though with hindsight, he was really good in the ring, way over at times and had some funny moments, that other stuff made him look like a berk, as did constantly failing in big matches.

• Paid Members

The best Shamrock/Severn thing in the WWF was Fully Loaded '98, Owen Hart vs. Ken Shamrock in a Dungeon match. I watched it for maybe the first time last week.

A no-ring, no holds barred submission match in the Hart Family Dungeon with a legit UFC Champion, with Dan Severn as the ref. The match involves multiple Irish Whips and a ref bump.

Archived