This Time with Alan Partridge

chokeout

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Murtz said:

I've watched each episode twice.. and on second watch I spotted so much more than the first. It's the subtle brilliance that makes this show superb. The co host is ace too, some of her subtle reactions are timed to perfection.

Her expression in the first episode when Partridge's Internet activity relating to her is being read out was very good. 

• Paid Members

Schoolboy Partridge was a bit much for me - it didn't feel like something that would actually fit the kind of video package they were spoofing. Though present-day Partridge accidentally sticking his head out from behind the wall when he's transformed into his school uniform was hilarious.

Could have done without Sidekick Simon in this one.

"A pint of meat-free Lilt" is a wonderful phrase for which I'll forgive any faults of this episode, though. 

Highlights were just a range of fantastic facial expressions from Partridge in lieu of actually saying anything, though. 

I know Sidekicks Simon gets a lot of stick on here but his parts are always the highlight for me. Partridge going through the photos on his iPad unknowing that they’re being screened on the tv behind him was hilarious. Especially as it went from photos of him in the car to photos of pregnant women and then a pregnant gorilla. 

• Paid Members

Simon plays the smiling desperation perfectly.

The child Alan was terrifying (but doesn't fit with the format of the show. You could get away with it more when they were supposed to be his indulgent Peartree Productions shows) but is a great call back to his references to the teachers he's had in previous series. That dummy he was whacking was far more unnerving.

The running joke about his inability to time walking and talking is still great as well. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, chokeout said:

Simon plays the smiling desperation perfectly.

The child Alan was terrifying (but doesn't fit with the format of the show. You could get away with it more when they were supposed to be his indulgent Peartree Productions shows) but is a great call back to his references to the teachers he's had in previous series. That dummy he was whacking was far more unnerving.

The running joke about his inability to time walking and talking is still great as well. 

Also speaking into the wrong camera

• Paid Members

I think my problem with Simon is that it seems out of step with the rest of the format.

On a local digital radio show, Alan Partridge having an inept comedy sidekick makes sense, but on what's supposed to be a much-loved flagship BBC programme where he's (at least initially) the stand-in host after years in the media wilderness, it seems a bit of a stretch for him to bring his nobody mate with him. Maybe it's nit-picking, but I think it damages the central premise, and doesn't add enough in return to make up for that.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I think my problem with Simon is that it seems out of step with the rest of the format.

On a local digital radio show, Alan Partridge having an inept comedy sidekick makes sense, but on what's supposed to be a much-loved flagship BBC programme where he's (at least initially) the stand-in host after years in the media wilderness, it seems a bit of a stretch for him to bring his nobody mate with him. Maybe it's nit-picking, but I think it damages the central premise, and doesn't add enough in return to make up for that.

In his defense, this is the man who talent spotted Joe Beasley and Cheeky Monkey at a Hoseason's holiday resort and insisted they go on Knowing Me, Knowing You.

hqdefault.jpg

• Paid Members

I enjoyed this episode more than the 2nd. I think mainly because I've accepted they're going to take a few mad turns with the format, which took me out off the 2nd episode quite a bit.

The Scottish interview and Patridge's phone image collection had me laughing like a tit.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, scratchdj said:

Personally, I’d be up for another series of I’m Alan Partridge to see how well that format works in 2019. 

I know laughter track isn't something you often get these days (other that fucking awful comedies for the most part, such as Mrs Browns Boys) but I think the format will work as it's Alan Partridge. I think 'more of the same, but with his lifestyle slightly different' will still work because there is an audience for him and specifically for that version of him.