Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
chokeout

This Time with Alan Partridge

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

There's always going to be a drop off after the first episode. But especially when the first episode is 'event' television, with Radio Times covers and a huge social media event (the email) to remind people that it's on. A bunch of people are going to check it out and decide it isn't for them (which is ALWAYS going to be the case with comedy), and a bunch of others will have forgotten what night of the week it is, and watch it on catch-up.

This. I mean i often don't record things on my box anymore as I can just watch it on Iplayer. The only channels I will record is ITV and 4 as there catch up services have adverts I can't skip.

The Beeb are already planning another Alan Partridge show so I don't think they are too concerned. I did watch the first episode of Warren. It's like a shit One Foot In The Grave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bit in episode 2 where he joins Jenny amongst the audience and hands the microphone to the old lady next to him was so funny.

”Hold this.”

”THANK YOU!”

”Don’t talk into it.”

”OK”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've watched each episode twice.. and on second watch I spotted so much more than the first. It's the subtle brilliance that makes this show superb. The co host is ace too, some of her subtle reactions are timed to perfection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Murtz said:

I've watched each episode twice.. and on second watch I spotted so much more than the first. It's the subtle brilliance that makes this show superb. The co host is ace too, some of her subtle reactions are timed to perfection.

Her expression in the first episode when Partridge's Internet activity relating to her is being read out was very good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was definitely a bit of a filler episode compared to the first two, but even so, the interview with the Scottish bloke had me in stitches maybe more than anything else in the series so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

school boy Partridge gives me nightmares

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Schoolboy Partridge was a bit much for me - it didn't feel like something that would actually fit the kind of video package they were spoofing. Though present-day Partridge accidentally sticking his head out from behind the wall when he's transformed into his school uniform was hilarious.

Could have done without Sidekick Simon in this one.

"A pint of meat-free Lilt" is a wonderful phrase for which I'll forgive any faults of this episode, though. 

Highlights were just a range of fantastic facial expressions from Partridge in lieu of actually saying anything, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Scottish interview was undoubtedly the highlight for me this week. The rest of it still tries a little too hard to whack you over the head with the jokes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know Sidekicks Simon gets a lot of stick on here but his parts are always the highlight for me. Partridge going through the photos on his iPad unknowing that they’re being screened on the tv behind him was hilarious. Especially as it went from photos of him in the car to photos of pregnant women and then a pregnant gorilla. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simon plays the smiling desperation perfectly.

The child Alan was terrifying (but doesn't fit with the format of the show. You could get away with it more when they were supposed to be his indulgent Peartree Productions shows) but is a great call back to his references to the teachers he's had in previous series. That dummy he was whacking was far more unnerving.

The running joke about his inability to time walking and talking is still great as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, chokeout said:

Simon plays the smiling desperation perfectly.

The child Alan was terrifying (but doesn't fit with the format of the show. You could get away with it more when they were supposed to be his indulgent Peartree Productions shows) but is a great call back to his references to the teachers he's had in previous series. That dummy he was whacking was far more unnerving.

The running joke about his inability to time walking and talking is still great as well. 

Also speaking into the wrong camera

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think my problem with Simon is that it seems out of step with the rest of the format.

On a local digital radio show, Alan Partridge having an inept comedy sidekick makes sense, but on what's supposed to be a much-loved flagship BBC programme where he's (at least initially) the stand-in host after years in the media wilderness, it seems a bit of a stretch for him to bring his nobody mate with him. Maybe it's nit-picking, but I think it damages the central premise, and doesn't add enough in return to make up for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it adds some depth that he's nice enough to have got this dimwit a job and suffers with how appalling he is at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I think my problem with Simon is that it seems out of step with the rest of the format.

On a local digital radio show, Alan Partridge having an inept comedy sidekick makes sense, but on what's supposed to be a much-loved flagship BBC programme where he's (at least initially) the stand-in host after years in the media wilderness, it seems a bit of a stretch for him to bring his nobody mate with him. Maybe it's nit-picking, but I think it damages the central premise, and doesn't add enough in return to make up for that.

In his defense, this is the man who talent spotted Joe Beasley and Cheeky Monkey at a Hoseason's holiday resort and insisted they go on Knowing Me, Knowing You.

hqdefault.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed this episode more than the 2nd. I think mainly because I've accepted they're going to take a few mad turns with the format, which took me out off the 2nd episode quite a bit.

The Scottish interview and Patridge's phone image collection had me laughing like a tit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...