Sign in to follow this  
chokeout

This Time with Alan Partridge

Calling his co-host 'Jimmy' at the end of the Scottish interview and the pregnant women pictures genuinely made me laugh out loud on the train home. I like this Geordie (or Mackem?) guy from the audience too.

Loved episode 3, although it was probably the weakest so far.

It still feels different to Partridge as we know it, and I had to watch an episode of I’m Alan Partridge afterwards to compare. I think the big thing for me (and this isn’t a complaint) is that here, Alan is in full presenter mode, adding a layer of gloss to himself for the purpose of the show. But of course, his real self keeps coming through. In I’m Alan Partridge, he isn’t in front of the cameras and is being himself around normal everyday people. Both work, but both are very different to each other in tone and feel.

Personally, I’d be up for another series of I’m Alan Partridge to see how well that format works in 2019. 

2 hours ago, scratchdj said:

Personally, I’d be up for another series of I’m Alan Partridge to see how well that format works in 2019. 

I know laughter track isn't something you often get these days (other that fucking awful comedies for the most part, such as Mrs Browns Boys) but I think the format will work as it's Alan Partridge. I think 'more of the same, but with his lifestyle slightly different' will still work because there is an audience for him and specifically for that version of him.

If you haven't watched since his BBC days, it's worth trying to check out the stuff he did on Sky, along with the books. I find current Partridge hilarious, but it'd feel like a bit of a sudden change if I hadn't seen the last few year's worth of stuff.

There was some very funny stuff on the latest episode, but it was the weakest so far. The smile he gave after whacking the dummy was hilarious, though.

1 hour ago, Your Fight Site said:

Mackem 😒

Same thing, different colour striped shirts innit

7 hours ago, scratchdj said:

A third series with him living in his house, ‘Denton Abbey’, as opposed to the travel tavern or the caravan. 

Took a while to bed in, but episode 4 last night could easily have been another episode of Knowing Me, Knowing You. From the moment they did the Two Ronnies Mastermine tribute it was just hits all the way. First time in the series I've been told off for laughing too vigorously.

It ends up feeling a little sketch-show at times, so it's inconsistent, but when it's good, it's amazing. The stuff with the 'CPR' doll was incredible, because it can only have happened one of two ways, and either is funny.

1 - Alan didn't know it's actually a sex doll. 

2 - Alan knows exactly what it is, which (based on his general fetishes) seems pretty likely. However, he's clearly come up with an excuse that it's a CPR doll at some point, and ended up going through with a CPR course to justify it. At which point, he's got so used to using it as such, that he's forgotten its original purpose and is only using it for CPR. Or has forgotten what kind of doll it is when he proposed the segment, and then just hoped nobody would notice.

I reckon he did know but is naïve enough to think if he dressed it up and presented it as a CPR doll, the audience wouldn’t be any the wiser.

My god, that entire Sligo farmer bit at the end is the highlight of the series so far. Their faces when they broke out into Come Out Ye Black & Tans. Coogan did a great job in that second role.

That look on Jennie's face when they come back from the CPR video was great. The lookalike was brilliant at the end. 

I love Alan Partridge and I love this series....BUT, the only thing that holds it back is the lack of diversification of situations that he is in.

What I mean by that is that in I'm Alan Partridge, he could meet with and interact with Dave Clifton, the Travel Tavern staff, Lynn, Michael, the builders, Sonia and others and it would bring different scenarios and ways it could go wrong, whereas this series is a tiny bit one note in that he just generally says the wrong thing over and over.

I know this makes it sound a bit reductive, and I've really enjoyed it, but I'd like to see a bit more behind the scenes of the show, especially the staff production meetings you spy in the credits.