This Time with Alan Partridge

chokeout

• Paid Members

If you haven't watched since his BBC days, it's worth trying to check out the stuff he did on Sky, along with the books. I find current Partridge hilarious, but it'd feel like a bit of a sudden change if I hadn't seen the last few year's worth of stuff.

There was some very funny stuff on the latest episode, but it was the weakest so far. The smile he gave after whacking the dummy was hilarious, though.

• Paid Members

Took a while to bed in, but episode 4 last night could easily have been another episode of Knowing Me, Knowing You. From the moment they did the Two Ronnies Mastermine tribute it was just hits all the way. First time in the series I've been told off for laughing too vigorously.

• Paid Members

It ends up feeling a little sketch-show at times, so it's inconsistent, but when it's good, it's amazing. The stuff with the 'CPR' doll was incredible, because it can only have happened one of two ways, and either is funny.

1 - Alan didn't know it's actually a sex doll. 

2 - Alan knows exactly what it is, which (based on his general fetishes) seems pretty likely. However, he's clearly come up with an excuse that it's a CPR doll at some point, and ended up going through with a CPR course to justify it. At which point, he's got so used to using it as such, that he's forgotten its original purpose and is only using it for CPR. Or has forgotten what kind of doll it is when he proposed the segment, and then just hoped nobody would notice.

• Paid Members

That look on Jennie's face when they come back from the CPR video was great. The lookalike was brilliant at the end. 

I love Alan Partridge and I love this series....BUT, the only thing that holds it back is the lack of diversification of situations that he is in.

What I mean by that is that in I'm Alan Partridge, he could meet with and interact with Dave Clifton, the Travel Tavern staff, Lynn, Michael, the builders, Sonia and others and it would bring different scenarios and ways it could go wrong, whereas this series is a tiny bit one note in that he just generally says the wrong thing over and over.

I know this makes it sound a bit reductive, and I've really enjoyed it, but I'd like to see a bit more behind the scenes of the show, especially the staff production meetings you spy in the credits.

6 hours ago, Chris B said:

It ends up feeling a little sketch-show at times, so it's inconsistent, but when it's good, it's amazing. The stuff with the 'CPR' doll was incredible, because it can only have happened one of two ways, and either is funny.

Hide contents

1 - Alan didn't know it's actually a sex doll. 

2 - Alan knows exactly what it is, which (based on his general fetishes) seems pretty likely. However, he's clearly come up with an excuse that it's a CPR doll at some point, and ended up going through with a CPR course to justify it. At which point, he's got so used to using it as such, that he's forgotten its original purpose and is only using it for CPR. Or has forgotten what kind of doll it is when he proposed the segment, and then just hoped nobody would notice.

I don't think he did know. He said he bought it off Pete Gabbatiss.

• Paid Members

His co-host really is fantastic. She perfectly conveys the vapid and disingenuous patter you see on the One Show, while subtly ramping up her disgust and confusion at Patridge.

Anyway, this may very well be the pick of the series. I was howling at the delay scene. A simple joke beautifully timed by all.

The CPR bit into the Irish impersonator may be the best 10 minutes of Partridge. Its just perfect. The episodes are getting better as Partridge is getting more confident, which can only lead to disaster down the line. Agree with the comments on his co-host. She does so much with her eyes its brilliant.

Also the line 'Apologies for the wind and the racism' had me howling.