Dave Meltzer

Brewster McCloud

• 1 year later...
  • Paid Members

The gif gives away that I was saying it as a wind-up, but I'm still enormously entertained by the response. For context, Meltzer was talking about Bob Sapp's ridiculous levels of mainstream awareness in Japan and how everyone knows him. 

1 minute ago, WyattSheepMask said:

He’s now saying that Biggy Daddy wasn’t as big as El Santo in a conversation that previously never featured El Santo or alluded to him in any way

Because he's weird as fuck, I just had a quick look at his twitter and it gave me a headache, in fairness to him that was my own daft fault for looking at the replies

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Meltzer is in the same bracket as Cornette for me these days.

Great sources for historical information but have no time for them outside of that. Just a pair of weird old twats getting trolled over pretend fighting. 

As much as Meltzers annoys me I see a clear difference to him and Cornette. Meltzer is easily and often antagonised and is irritating because of his response to that. Cornette is deliberately and often antagonistic and is unbearable because of that. 

Edited by ElCece

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

He’s now saying that Biggy Daddy wasn’t as big as El Santo in a conversation that previously never featured El Santo or alluded to him in any way

To be fair Simon's tweet was the most absurd tweet this week and that includes anything Trump has written and the opinions that Phil Taylor is Britain's greatest sportsman

Edited by Tsurutagun

I'd put Cornette above Meltzer for that reason, he slags people off but still is a bit biased for certain things ie Cody, Meltzer purports to be the independent credible voice of wrestling but still sucks off AEW stuff because he loves the Bucks and Omega

I honestly think Meltzer's contribution to wrestling is massively overstated. 

He's been in a position where he could have blown the lid on serious wrestling scandals but, at best, ignores them and at worst calls into question the credibility of accusers. 

His inability to understand when his sources may be lying to him means the history of modern wrestling when told through a Meltzer lens is seriously distorted. 

Even now he does not seem to have learned his lesson - it wasn't that long ago when he reported that Fox officials were disappointed to have not landed Paul Heyman as the creative lead on Smackdown; as if any of them were even aware who Heyman was. It seems pretty clear who might have tossed that particular nugget Meltzer's way. 

His stubborn attitude when it comes to Big Daddy may seem trivial, but if you look at his social media feed he outright dismisses people who he should realise would be in a position to know better than he would about Daddy's contribution to British wrestling. 

Why does that matter? Well, if he's unwilling to believe external credible sources about Big Daddy you really have to question his interpretation of other historical events and figures. Do his biases mean he's giving other historical wrestlers more or less credit than they are due? 

Meltzer has been influential at times, I wouldn't dispute that. But I'm not sure how much the industry (and history) has benefited from him being in the position that he is in.