Brexit

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, hallicks said:

Over a million now. Am I a bit naive in thinking you put your name and postcode in so it can cross reference it against the electoral roll?

I'm pretty sure it's so they can see what constituency you're in. You can access the details of how many people from each constituency have signed a particular petition (and how many as a percentage of the electorate there.) You can also see what petitions are most popular in your constituency. And they link to your MPs page on the Parliament website as well.

• Awards Moderator
8 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Just heard a report on the radio of one of those petitions to revoke A50, then I saw Hugh Grant had RT'ed it. Belting endorsement that.

Anyway, I don't expect that these petitions make any real impact unless the number goes into the double digit millions, but here's the link for those interested. Around 745,000 signatures so far;

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

It’s currently got a 502 Bad Gateway. I’ll keep trying!

• Paid Members

Several newspapers now reporting (based on sources including cabinet ministers) that it looks likely that if May doesn't get the deal through, she's happy to let a no-deal happen rather than extend/revoke.

If that was the case, it's almost impossible that she could be stopped from doing so because unless she sends the extension request/revocation notice, the clock runs out and there's no obvious way to force her to do so (eg pass a law or force her out of office) within that timescale.

Meanwhile it sounds like the EU are trying to come up with an extension date that's late enough that there's a prospect of May coming to her senses or her hand being forces, but not so late that we can't take part in the EU elections (because if we don't, we're effectively out by definition.)

And ITV reporting the Chief Whip has been going round Parliament today openly complaining May's statement last night was "appalling". That is... not good.

Edited by JNLister

Surely Labour will get enough remainer tories on board to push through a vote of no confidence before she really does drive us off a cliff? 

EDIT Plus doesn't no deal mean a hard border for N Ire? So DUP would presumably back it as well?

Double edit: it's not the DUP that care about the border, is it... 

Edited by hallicks

I now genuinely believe that if she doesn't get her deal through, she will let us crash out with no deal JUST so she can say "I told you so".  She's willing to take the biggest political risk for this country since WW2 so that she perceives herself to be saving face, rather than admit defeat and revoke A50 or call a GE or a referendum, or hell even let Parliament find a solution.

She's undoubtedly the worst political leader of my lifetime, and I say that as someone who would have voted for her deal if I was an MP, as it's not terrible all things considered.  But she's made this whole thing about her.  The arrogance.

3 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Well, not just the EU. Anyone we haven't manage to fudge quick trade deals with. So I think we're OK to to trade with Trinidad. 

Yeah, we'll have to operate under WTO rules initially, but I guess that changes as we negotiate deals with other countries and the EU itself? Personally, I don't see us trading with them under WTO rules for very long, it doesn't benefit us, or the EU itself.

EDIT: Trinidad? Well, at least it's a start I guess!

Edited by David

• Paid Members

Again, a lot of this could've been avoided if the approach to leaving had been better. Even without the EU's goodwill, there could've been much more done by now, way before we even triggered A50.

As I said before, the Brexiters' preparation has been utterly shit, which is to say "non-existent". I know Farage only gave it lip-service in passing so as to make himself not look like the race-baiting ultra-cunt that he actually is, but there are only three European members of the Commonwealth, and we're one of them. It should've been the first thing we looked at before even beginning this process. 

And how anyone ever thought we were going to solve the issue of the NI border upon leaving in just two fucking years, I don't know.

Weak as piss.

Well, it looks to me like the ball is firmly in our MP's court. A deal has been negotiated that the EU find acceptable and are happy to agree to, right? It was never going to be perfect, but we need to start somewhere.

Surely it's better to look at the Irish situation over the next two years than deal with the consequences of "crashing out?"