Brexit

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

What she could have done is not appoint David Davis as the first Brexit minister. He was completely inept and unprepared, and with claims like "This will be the easiest deal to make ever" he was obviously doomed to failure. History will not remember him kindly. 

Given how incompetent she's been, she probably meant to appoint the FA administrator originally.

• Paid Members

It is insane that in the past 27 years, the highest number of MPs the Conservatives have ever had is 336 and yet they've still managed some serious damage.

Anyhow, many rumours of a Teresa May statement to the public tonight, though whether she actually says anything in it is a whole different matter.

And Donald Tusk flat out said we can only have a short extension if May's deal passes, which sounds dramatic until you realise he didn't mention whether we can have a long extension.

Edited by JNLister

Christ, that announcement. I don't know why I even expect any different, it's the same fucking thing every time; sly digs at everyone, moaning about the processes of democracy that stop her doing whatever the fuck she wants, imploring the people to get behind her deal, saying it's "the best possible deal" when what she means is it's "the best possible deal for an anti-immigration knobcheese like me". I mean, at least that Iraqi information minister obviously knew he was talking shit, getting carted around a warzone in a tank going "everything's alright!" She's beyond clueless. She somehow can't equate her own limitless inadequacies with the absolute shitstorm of incompetence she presides over. If she wasn't driving us all over a cliff, it would at least be tragically hilarious. Is she that lacking in self-awareness, or is she just an equilateral triangle of arrogance, fecklessness and shitarsery? 

• Paid Members

Is it all some ploy to still have us crash out without a deal next Friday while trying to make it look like they don't want to crash out without a deal. If she was that desperate to get the deal through she'd present them with the choices of "it's this deal or I call the whole thing off" and deal with the consequences, but she won't. She'll plough on regardless and then blame everybody around her when it all ends in us collapsing out of Europe and losing all our human rights in the process while Corbyn tries to force through another vote of no confidence. 

5 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Is it all some ploy to still have us crash out without a deal next Friday while trying to make it look like they don't want to crash out without a deal. If she was that desperate to get the deal through she'd present them with the choices of "it's this deal or I call the whole thing off" and deal with the consequences, but she won't. She'll plough on regardless and then blame everybody around her when it all ends in us collapsing out of Europe and losing all our human rights in the process while Corbyn tries to force through another vote of no confidence. 

I'd probably be more inclined to believe that line of thinking if May was actually a staunch leaver to begin with, but she isn't. If she'd truly had her way we'd have all voted to remain and continued on our way.

I also find it interesting when I see people discuss what would actually happen in the case of a 'no deal' Brexit, with talk of us "losing all our human rights" and suchlike. I'm not entirely convinced that much of what I hear would actually be the case.

Would it be an ideal scenario? Absolutely not, but the sky wouldn't fall in as we're being told by many media outlets. By the same token, it wouldn't be the "wonderful opportunity" we're being told by those who wish to see it happen. The truth, as is usually the case, lies somewhere in the middle I reckon.

1 minute ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Is this your new catchphrase?

Nope, but it has potential, doesn't it? 

Seriously though, in this particular situation it seems more than fitting. I recall seeing the same widespread panic and scaremongering during the Scottish independence referendum. We were told that a vote to leave the UK was going to result in unmitigated disaster, that we simply could not survive on our own without London to help us.

All absolute nonsense, of course, but it did the job of whipping people up into a frenzy. Then, as is the case now with the EU, there would obviously have been issues that would have arisen if Scotland gained its independence, but it would have been nowhere near as bad as the naysayers were claiming, and also nowhere near as smooth a process as the champions of tartan would have had us believe either.

The truth would have...well, you know the rest.

• Paid Members

Just heard a report on the radio of one of those petitions to revoke A50, then I saw Hugh Grant had RT'ed it. Belting endorsement that.

Anyway, I don't expect that these petitions make any real impact unless the number goes into the double digit millions, but here's the link for those interested. Around 745,000 signatures so far;

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

4 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Just heard a report on the radio of one of those petitions to revoke A50, then I saw Hugh Grant had RT'ed it. Belting endorsement that.

Anyway, I don't expect that these petitions make any real impact unless the number goes into the double digit millions, but here's the link for those interested. Around 745,000 signatures so far;

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

The problem with the legitimacy of something like that is that it's easy for people to register a vote on it more than once, unfortunately. I think all it asks for is a name, email address and a postcode, which can obviously be manipulated multiple times.

Saying that, almost 750,000 signatures is a pretty big statement, even if a fair number of those may be multiple signatures from the same sources.