Chippy Tea

Onyx2

Why do Tories always look like fucking aliens when trying to do the simplest of everyday tasks. 

I’ve never seen anyone make opening and eating a fish supper look more awkward. Christ knows how many takes it took for that to be the best and most natural clip either. 

4 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

They look like Kabanos Sausages, do they taste similar?

As Gmoney said very much no. I'm a Northerner so had never seen the things till I went to London and they were really, bloody disappointing when I eventually had one. They don't seem to taste of anything. Its like the cheapest meat you could ever imagine. It could be anything stuffed in them. If the chips are decent and you chuck enough salt and vinegar on it, it does becomes edible. Why you would choose it over a normal chipshop sausage is beyond me though. God knows whats in them but at least they taste of something.

I'm lucky to have quite a few decent chip shops locally and I don't live far away from the seaside which has good chips too, but I've never had a saveloy. I've just never felt the urge to get one over a battered sausage, fish or even battered beef burger. The fact that it isn't battered puts me off. If I'm having a chippy tea batter needs to be involved

• Paid Members

Yeh, they're basically just very cheap bangers in red casing.

Just had a look at the Wiki to see where the name came from - seems the consensus is that it comes from the old French word "cervelat" (modern: "cervelle"), meaning "brain", because it was traditionally made from pork brains (which kind of fits the Cockney food ethos of using whatever foodstuffs were cheap enough to be available to poor East Londoners), although it seems that's not necessarily the definition any more - manufacturers now use any cuts of pork.

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

Because in Yankee language chips are what we call crisps. They have French fries which are diabolical and IIRC hushpuppies are hash brown bites.

Shocking offerings though, but to be expected in the land of the fat and diet-free

The kind of nuanced take only someone from Harlow can provide. Oh, and you're totally wrong about hushpuppies, they are made from cornmeal.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

My mate told me the meat contents of a saveloy costs less that 1p.

I said that sounds like a load of bollocks, but he insisted there's some brains mixed in too.

Edit: I woz wooshed

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members
Just now, gmoney said:

Brains is good eating, so I'd be more inclined to pick one up next time I was at the chippy if I didn't think your mate was talking out of his ringpiece. 

It's a joke, a stolen one at that.

The give away is the set up implying I have friends.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Tommy! said:

It's a joke, a stolen one at that.

From Frankie Boyle, about the Lidl 5p (iirc) sausage. Up there with “Sunny Delight counts towards your Five A Day… as -2.”

Err… any Chippies sell Sunny D?