Chippy Tea

Onyx2

13 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Not any more.

Also, Harlow has loads of decent chippies.

Shows how long since I've been back there then! Surprised it went but understand its now part of FishnChickn range. They aren't bad to be honest. Used to use the one in Potter Street a fair bit, not too bad. 

I had a lovely chippy lunch in Great Yarmouth with the food cooked the old fashioned way in beef dripping. Sounds weird but it gives a lovely hint of beef in the fish and chips. 

9 minutes ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

I had a lovely chippy lunch in Great Yarmouth with the food cooked the old fashioned way in beef dripping. Sounds weird but it gives a lovely hint of beef in the fish and chips. 

Where did you go? Planning a trip soon. Would be good to know where the decent ones are!

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

Sounds weird but it gives a lovely hint of beef in the fish and chips. 

Apparently some people achieve that by mixing gravey so thick it needs spreading on the fish with a knife.

• Moderators
19 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

I think there's only one in The Willow.  Plenty with flat entrance porches and a single slant though.

Edit:  I suppose technically the spoons has a flat roof as it occupies the bottom unit of a tower block which I'm guessing is flat up top.

tbh I was talking out my arse there...although I have to chuckle at "The Clock House". I remember that being an Army & Navy shop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

my mission for Christmas is to win the (Londoner) missus over on chip spice, but the village chippy has become a Chinese since I was last up there, so we'll have to go further afield. She only had scraps for the first time last year.

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

my mission for Christmas is to win the (Londoner) missus over on chip spice, but the village chippy has become a Chinese since I was last up there, so we'll have to go further afield.

I've just stuck this in my Tesco order

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/281733365

Yes, I'm aware I could mix these things together but I figure I'd let someone else do it.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

my mission for Christmas is to win the (Londoner) missus over on chip spice, but the village chippy has become a Chinese since I was last up there, so we'll have to go further afield. She only had scraps for the first time last year.

Weirdly the first time, and only time, I ever encountered chip spice was in Norway in the 90's. I only found out it was a thing in parts of the UK here. It sometimes pops up in Home Bargains and love to have it on chips, but if I am having a proper chippy tea it is regular salt and non brewed condiment for me Clive.

• Paid Members

It's not something I swear by - I'm usually a "just drown it in vinegar" guy when it comes to chip condiments - but I grew up near Hull, so it wasn't until we moved away that I learned it wasn't just a ubiquitous thing, and I do tend to get some whenever I go back up there. Barely anywhere down south doing scraps is a far greater injustice.