Red Dead Redemption II

Chest Rockwell

Right, I'll explain it best I can but dont take it for gospel. As far as I can tell the eating stuff and maintaining of horses will boost stuff like xp, build your relationship with the horse and result in better overall performance , longer stamina cores, horse being able to be whistled for from further distances etc. However it's not essential and is as much about immersion.

The stuff with camp building is actually pretty neat. You can get an array of goodies on hand in camp like ammo, tonics and other stuff by upgrading facilities. You also need to upgrade Dutchs tent to then upgrade Arthur's  and be able to unlock fast travel if that's your thing. It also effects camp morale. I'm not sure how this effects gameplay but we did have a pretty sweet party after I did the place up.

The hunting and gathering isn't explained well at all. You go to the butchers side of Pearsons tent and donate the stuff you've got, not only meat but pelts and other valuables that can be sold. I've found it much easier to just pelt the animals and collect the cuts of meat than taking carcases to and from camp although Arthur does express regret at doing this in a conversation with a camp mate.

I heard a reviewer refer to it as a game you have to play in 5 hour chunks and it absolutely is. It's ruined my sleeping pattern. 

Has anyone had trouble with guns going missing? I lost my revolver and double action revolver seemingly randomly and they never came back. I'm hoping that seeing as I found them and unlocked them at the gunsmiths it won't happen again now I've purchased them proper. Stupid game better not take my pump action from me though!

2 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Right, I'll explain it best I can but dont take it for gospel. As far as I can tell the eating stuff and maintaining of horses will boost stuff like xp, build your relationship with the horse and result in better overall performance , longer stamina cores, horse being able to be whistled for from further distances etc. However it's not essential and is as much about immersion.

The stuff with camp building is actually pretty neat. You can get an array of goodies on hand in camp like ammo, tonics and other stuff by upgrading facilities. You also need to upgrade Dutchs tent to then upgrade Arthur's  and be able to unlock fast travel if that's your thing. It also effects camp morale. I'm not sure how this effects gameplay but we did have a pretty sweet party after I did the place up.

How do I upgrade Dutch's tent?  Don't have that option.

Cheers by the way lads

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Loki said:

How do I upgrade Dutch's tent?  Don't have that option.

Next to the donations box there's a ledger which you use purchase stuff for the camp. If you have access to the donations box, the ledger opens up a few missions later. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, scratchdj said:

It made me remember fondly how in the 16bit era, you’d spend your money and you’d be playing within 1 minute of getting through the door. 4K, HDR and huge open worlds are great and all, but gaming isn’t what it used to be.

And you'd be playing playing straight away. I love that I can sink 100 hours into a game, but I also dread sitting through the first five hours where I'm being taught the controls and game mechanics through piss-easy but deathly slow tutorial missions.

On 11/2/2018 at 8:39 PM, Mr_Danger said:

I heard a reviewer refer to it as a game you have to play in 5 hour chunks and it absolutely is.

Yep definitely. I just got it a couple of days ago and have only managed two 2-hour stints with it so far and it’s just not enough. I got through the opening section but was so overwhelmed with what to do first and not knowing how long missions were with my short time allowance, I just switched it off and beat people up with Lesnar on 2K19 instead 😂

This issue about holding the same button for initiating a talk and aiming a weapon though is annoying. I don’t get it. I never saw the issue crop up on reviews or articles so far. There must be a knack to it somehow but I’m not far enough into it yet to see how it affects me.

The tutorial/unlocking missions go on for nearly 20% of the game, too.  Finally unlocked bounties.  

Quick tip - if you encounter a guy who's been bitten by a snake early doors, save his life and then back in Valentine he'll be outside the gun store and will buy you an item of your choice.  I got a sweet Springfield rifle.

One thing that happens and I either can't remember what you do, or missed it, is I'm on my horse just trotting about and the screen goes yellow, I'm prompted to draw with RT but all that happens is I fire my gun into the ground.  Am I meant to be aiming at something in particular?  My guess is a bird on the ground or something.

Rattle snake that'll be. I finally got one last night and it was confusing the hell out of me. 

I had the snake bitten npc but he met me in in Rhodes and bought me a sweet outfit.

I've finally gotten used to the interact/randomly murder button and it's hardly an issue now. Definitely a knack to it but yeah, it's totally a Rock Star thing.

I went back for my safe with the dynamite and the bastard had disappeared. 

Don't pay off your Valentine bounty if you haven't done the bank job mission. I literally did those two things back to back.