Red Dead Redemption II

Chest Rockwell

Ah, that'd be it, cheers!  Just unlocked the fishing and see I have to get to Chapter 3 for the bolt action rifle so I can rid nature of all the beasts.  Starting to really get a feel for it now but hopefully still a long way to go.

1 hour ago, Loki said:

The tutorial/unlocking missions go on for nearly 20% of the game, too.  Finally unlocked bounties.  

Quick tip - if you encounter a guy who's been bitten by a snake early doors, save his life and then back in Valentine he'll be outside the gun store and will buy you an item of your choice.  I got a sweet Springfield rifle.

Oh I did give a guy some medicine for a snake bite, so must have been him. I'll look for him when I'm in Valentine again.

Just started chapter 4. I've finally hunted enough beasts to start putting gear together and I've got a fair few trinkets. Looking forward to seeing what the talismans are all about. One thing that did confuse the shit out of me is when you have a legendary pelt then get killed by something the pelt disappears but apparently it goes to the tracker and you can harvest it but not sell it. 

Has anybody collected the debt where you have to hunt the cougar? That was some scary shit. As is walking through alligator infested swamp lands.

Still a ways to go but I find it much more enjoyable to space the main story missions out between hunts and stranger missions. 

One thing I love about Arthur is how much of a sjw he is. 

Edited by Mr_Danger

Robbed my first train solo today. I used a horse from camp and it died falling off the bridge as i was doing the rob. As i was walking back to camp i stumbled upon the way to tame wild horses.

This is why i love this game. There is so much to do and discover.

• Paid Members

I'm enjoying it. Only criticism from me is how spaced out everything is, but I assume that is the point of it(and would have been how things were in those days). Also, it's better now I've got the hang of the controls so have stopped riding at speed head first into trees...

@Supremo

Nah I don't buy that criticism at all. There's sooo much to do that if you do try to do it all it will be slow but you don't have to do it. If you're after a more streamlined version then you've got fast travel and story only missions although I imagine it being a little repetitive if that's how you played it. If you want an even more streamlined version then it's probably the wrong game for the person playing it.

The controls are indeed a bit clunky but I honestly think it adds to Its charm. 

Personally I like to play a few main line missions at a time then I'll usually head off and explore and do the side missions along the way. Go hunt then get the trinkets or gear made from the pelts then go make some money and but some swag before going back to camp. I'm trying to experience as much as possible on my first play through and I'm loving it.

We had another party in camp the other night, Arthur got wasted and ripped John for not being able to swim then sang out of tune for a bit.

Edited by Mr_Danger

I love discovering new things to do.  For instance, I went into Rhodes train station with that ponce and whilst hanging back as he sweet-talked the ticket seller, I read something on the bulletin board about someone needing pelts.  So rabbits and squirrels beware.

The writing more than makes up for the initial slog the further you go and Arthur's probably the greatest protagonist Rockstar have ever created, I've not found the micromanagement that first had me balking getting in the way either. If I had to compare I'd say this is the San Andreas to the Vice City of the first game, there's maybe a little too much to do with systems that are kind of needless but it's a gorgeously crafted world.