Red Dead Redemption II

Chest Rockwell

• Moderators

Remember when GTA:SA said you'd have to take your car to the car wash when it got dirty and put petrol in your cars, but those features got dropped before release because realism isn't always fun? There seems to be a lot of stuff like that so far, which hopefully you don't actually need to do later on.

CONS: having to scrub each individual limb when you have a bath because you're caked in mud

PROS: a button to call a dog a good boy

• Paid Members

I fucked up. Rather than saving my game regularly, I've just been relying on autosave. I'm only as far into the game as Horseshoe/Valentine but my honour stats are fucked because I've gone on (often accidental) killing sprees but with only the last mission pass autosave to go back to. I ended up with like a $300 bounty in that whole county and couldn't for ages work out how to surrender to the sheriff (hold down LT at the lawman and press Y) and kept accidently shooting at them instead.

I kinda didn't wanna play as a mass murderer straight off the bat but I also don't want to have to do the whole mountain prologue again.

Also, how and where do you wash? And how do you wash your clothes? And where can I find a horse brush? I went to the general store in Valentine and he only had tonics and such in his horse section of his catalogue.

EDIT: Worked out how to get my horse brush (and my preorder bonus War Horse!)

Edited by SpursRiot2012

Yeah, my first trip into Valentine ended badly, I was on a menu screen or something and a bloke started shoving me, then the menu quite at the guy was punching me.  Instinctively I pressed RT to smack him back and ended up shooting him.  Surrendered and spent time in Jail, so the bounty hunting mission wasn't open to me because I'd been a bad bad man.

When I was in the hotel bit the man behind the counter asked if I wanted a bath, thought he was taking the piss but when I was hunting, I turned on eagle eye and had Bash Street Kids stink lines coming off me.

• Paid Members

Regarding the Bounty thing, I seem to cause utter carnage where ever I go, without meaning to. 

Come clumsily blistering into a town on horseback, collide into unsuspecting civilians = instant bounty. Mass panic ensues and then people start firing weapons. 

Thanks for the tip on the surrender technique, Jobber. I've shot them up a bunch of times by accident too. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

Thanks for the tip on the surrender technique, Jobber. I've shot them up a bunch of times by accident too. 

Yeah, just head into the sheriff's office in town and antagonise them three times and then they'll have their guns out ready to put you down. Remember to holster your weapons as well. I also made sure that only my fists were selected in the weapons menu because I fucked up surrendering so many times. Although I question any sheriff's department that would shoot a man dead just because he said he didn't look so tough a couple of times and failed to raise his hands within like 5 seconds.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

I'm using my camera to document all the good boys of the Old West.

Double post wanker but the camera is going to be fun online, if I can find a good posse to roll with. Hey, Keith: can I join your gang?

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I think I screwed up some "Stranger" side mission, ended up killing some nob in a raccoon hat during a brawl.. oh well, that hat's mine now.

It does seem really easy to fuck things up by killing the wrong person in this game. Somehow I always end up shooting someone to death instead of say beating them down, hogtieing them, loading them onto my horse and then riding away to find a secluded spot to have my way with them.

Maybe I need to customise my control layout a bit.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I think the problem is having to hold L2 for so many of the actions, I've accidently aimed my gun at a few people now.

I did that earlier. Forgot to put my gun away, went to greet somebody whilst on my travels and wondered why they shat themselves.

20 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Is that because you're not in to the story/cinema elements and just want to get shit done? I love the slowness and sometimes plodding nature of it thus far. Not sure if I'll feel the same 40 hours in when I'm not even half way but I intend to 100% this and get as much done as I go along and only ever have a 2-3 hour window to play games every couple of days so like to take as much in on these types of games. Unless it's Fallout 4.

The story so far has given me nothing to invest in/care about and where I'm at its more find/fetch 'for the camp' where you're doing all the work for the camp and getting fuck all from it.

The core system is a mess as is controller response. Autosave is random and the game wouldn't let me manually save at certain points either for no reason. The items menu are poor too.

I think I have no patience for modern gaming anymore. I love storied games but there's no pull to the character so far for me. They've given me no reason to care for the camp or even why I should be associated with them. As I delve further into the game it will obviously open up with the as and whys of it all but until then I can't get on board with this.

All in all I'm just being a grumpy fuck and I will give it more time. I am frustrated that they put so much detail into things like rock slides when going up/down hills but my character who has supposedly been roving around with his bad arse bandit crew for 20 years or so, doesn't know how to fist fight or hunt.