Red Dead Redemption II

Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

For me, it's easily the best single player experience I've had aslong as I can remember. I'm about 20 hours in and somewhere in the middle of chapter 3. 

Before launch, I was only dreaming about how online would be, and thought I'd blast through the story in a week like I did GTA V, but there's something about this that I just don't want to end. I can lose myself for hours in the scenic wilderness and wildlife, which seems a million times more appealing than the neon, bustling pace of a GTA game.  

It's the most beautiful, chilled gaming experience ever, with the ability to turn shit on its head in a second. I'm never gonna finish the story before online's release. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

It like the laid back pace of LA Noire, but exciting.  I've only just finished Chapter 3 and I've no idea how many chapters there are and I don't want to know to be honest.  Just arrived at Saint Denis and turned it off.  Took one look at the map and realised I'm going to need a few hours.

The pace of it all, and the amount of stuff that's going on, genuinely makes me feel this is The Wire of games.  It's astonishing.

I echo the praise above. I’m still early in the story, having just done the Javier Escuella mission trying to rescue Sean. In my last session I’m getting ever closer to feeling at home with the controls, getting faster with the weapon/item wheels etc. It really makes all the difference. I’m glad I’ve avoided all story spoilers because I’m so excited to see what happens. Using the cinematic camera on some journeys with the gang and just sitting back and watching/listening is amazing too.

The aforementioned talk/aim button issue, I can confirm, hasn’t actually happened to me once. I haven’t gone out of my way to be unarmed when riding or walking around busy places but that’s what’s happened mainly. I am trying to play super nice guy though on my first play-through so that probably helps.

When I say super nice, I mean I hogtie people and cut them free after I loot them, rather than shoot ‘em. 😕

Oh, and my horse is called Mariposa. 😊

Anyone else encounter the pig farmer 'couple' in Lamoyne? Fucking hell Rockstar no need.

On top of that I searched up to the top right hand corner of the map and found some pirate rum and a meteorite, meteorite station and the site where a meteorite hit. I killed a legendary giant moose then got killed by a cougar so couldn't shill the pelt and I killed a legendary Grizzly on my ride home (high velocity bullets are your friend here). 5 hours of play and one main story mission was done and a bunch of strangers missions.

• Paid Members

Head back to the station during a thunderstorm and you get a fun little mission.

Regarding the initial slog of the first few hours, in retrospect I think it's necessary. They're essentially teaching you to play the game slow and to take your time and appreciate. And that you're going to be doing a lot of travelling, it's part of the experience and not supposed to be a chore.

Also had this fucking terrifying small moment while wandering:

I spot a corpse hanging from a tree and go to have a look...three zombie looking guys covered in mud jump out on me with knives. They are completely silent and don't make a sound as they attack or as I take them out one by one with a shotgun. Amazing moment but really rattled me.

Edited by LaGoosh

Regarding spoiler

I encountered a cave full of cannibalistic killers too. I wiped them all out but I think they're part of a bigger gang. I first saw the skinned body hanging near Valentine but the cave was up the top corner of the map

Edited by Mr_Danger
Doltish

Regarding spoiler

I saw half a body hanging from a railway bridge with "Look upon my work" scrawled in blood.  There is a cheevo about solving the mystery of some slavic named fella so I'm guessing it's all connected.  In my mind, he is an ancestor of Niko Belic, probably goes up to people who are on missions asking if they want to go fishing or play dominos all the fucking time {/spoiler]

On 11/3/2018 at 4:15 PM, Loki said:

Quick tip - if you encounter a guy who's been bitten by a snake early doors, save his life and then back in Valentine he'll be outside the gun store and will buy you an item of your choice.  I got a sweet Springfield rifle.

I saved someone from a bite near Rhodes and you meet him again by the genral store and get a free item.

I also found the treasure i was looking for a couple of pages back. Got given a gold nugget too so it was a productive 3 1/2 hours earlier.

• Paid Members

Anyone else got the bug where certain members are missing from camp? 

Still on chapter 3 myself but neither John, Abigail, Jack or Sadie can be found at camp. Might be more but they are the only ones I can think of. 

I've read it's something to do with an earlier mission and if you don't pass it without retrying a checkpoint, you'll get the bug. I don't think much of the actual story will be missed but I'm likely losing out on a few extra activities. 

Sucks that I have to carry this Harmonica around for Sadie too, taking up bag space. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

Just started chapter 3, the first mission is quite an extended introduction to the area which I thought was pretty cool (meeting the law, popping into Rhodes, going fishing). I liked the fishing trip in the boat, that was fun- the good guys rowing out and having a laugh. I then tried swimming to the island near the shore of our new campsite when I got back, but I drowned.

On a side note, I love the constant digs Arthur gives John about not being able to swim- a callback to the fact that Rockstar didn't include the ability to swim in RDR!