Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

I'm sure I have said this a few times in this thread but the biggest thing that stands out to me is that this United (Manchester) team lack an identity. When you look at the make up of the other top six teams you see a style/identity and the pros and cons that come with it. 

This United team just seem like a mix match of everything with no true way of playing, I guess more individually based than team based. Its like the players are not allowed to play with freedom. It feels like Jose is almost too scared to change his set up or take risks (he only does this when chasing a game). When you look at Spurs, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal (under Wenger) you know how they will play and probably at least 9 of the players likely to play. You look at United and have no idea how they will set up, who will play where or even who will start games. They also miss a leader/captain, I don't even know who the captain is?

I know its never going to be easy replicating what Sir Alex achieved with the trophies won but I would have expected United to at least continued playing football the United way.

Also the point made about Lukaku is spot on, he is not good enough to be starting games for United and is a squad player at best (albeit a very good one), under Sir Alex hypothetically he would have been used with at least two other strikers of similar quality rotating and playing the games you know he would produce in. Although football has changed now and gone are the days the likes of United would have three/four strikers.

Ironically wasn't it Mourinho who came to England and successfully pulled off the one striker up top? Everyone in the Premier League appeared to follow suit after his success at Chelsea. 

Edited by Briefcase

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Briefcase said:

I'm sure I have said this a few times in this thread but the biggest thing that stands out to me is that this United (Manchester) team lack an identity. When you look at the make up of the other top six teams you see a style/identity and the pros and cons that come with it. 

This United team just seem like a mix match of everything with no true way of playing, I guess more individually based than team based. Its like the players are not allowed to play with freedom. It feels like Jose is almost too scared to change his set up or take risks (he only does this when chasing a game). When you look at Spurs, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal (under Wenger) you know how they will play and probably at least 9 of the players likely to play. You look at United and have no idea how they will set up, who will play where or even who will start games. They also miss a leader/captain, I don't even know who the captain is?

Incredibly, your captain is Tony V.

Spot on about leadership. Last night the game was about leadership and strength in the second half. The team that wanted it most won the battles. Moura worked his bollocks off and wanted to be first to ever ball and Alderweireld was superb at the back. I looked around the pitch last night and I didn't see where your leaders were. The difference makers didn't stand out, even Sanchez when he came on who usually is a player I fear, and when I usually think of Matic as being strength and leadership, I forgot he was on the pitch.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I'm not down with calling attacking football "Good football", if you're playing on the front foot and losing 3-2 or 5-3 all the time, you're playing bad football.

True. But playing on the front foot, looking forward and playing with tempo and aggression and ambition will always be far better to watch and thus justifies "good football". I'm not a snob, you do what you have to do. But more teams are doing both than not.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Briefcase is a Liverpool fan.

Ohhhhhh. Thought it was odd not knowing one's club captain. 

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

True. But playing on the front foot, looking forward and playing with tempo and aggression and ambition will always be far better to watch and thus justifies "good football

Being "Better to watch" doesn't make it good football as that is a subjective term , results aren't subjective and results make good football in my book.

• Paid Members

Been a bit of an interesting couple of days concerning young English talent.

Firstly, after conversations with Gareth Southgate, Declan Rice might decide to play for England rather than Ireland. He looks promising, and we definitely need more promising defensive players. Graelish is thought to be in a similar position.

Secondly, Vardy and Cahill have offered to step aside from England duty in order to let youngsters have opportunities. Not a like for like replacement, but Vardy's absence could give Sancho a chance in the next round of games.

Finally, Reiss Nelson looks set to become the latest young Englishman to try his luck abroad, yet another youngster leaving Arsenal for Europe. This time for Hoffenheim. Shame, he looks very promising and is rapid. But he could develop a lot more there than playing with our reserves or on loan at Birmingham or some shite.

• Paid Members
Just now, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Isnt that the one who said "I dont care if he's racist, as long as he does a job on the pitch?"

The very same. But @Briefcase tends to be very quiet on that sort have thing these days.