Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

Sorry, just force of habit

That nightmare scenario isn't impossible if one of those clubs finishes third in their Champions League group. (A guy can dream, right?)

I actually think Tottenham would do well to get to the Europa League round of 32 after that horrific draw. Group B looks tougher than Group C. I reckon Napoli rather than Liverpool might miss out there. 

• Paid Members

My predictions are:

GROUP A: Dortmund and Atletico to go through, Monaco a distant third, can't see Brugge getting much. Sad to see how quickly Monaco fell away but it was always going to happen. Like when you had to sell Henry, Trezeguet, Giuly and Barthez on CM 97/98 because the club was skint after a couple of seasons.

GROUP B: Barca and Spurs through, Inter third. I think Spurs might get results against Barca in both legs and drop a bollock against PSV somewhere but still go through. Inter will be a threat at home but not enough away.

GROUP C - PSG and Napoli through, Liverpool third. Will be very tight but I think Liverpool's defence could get royally porked in possibly both matches against each of the aforementioned. Red Star might nick a win and a draw at home but nowt away.

GROUP D - Porto and Galatasaray through, Schalke third. I quite fancy Galatasaray this season, they're really well organised and Schalke often aren't. Can't see many exciting games in this group, don't have them on your Goals Galore coupon.

GROUP E - Bayern and Ajax through, Benfica third. Can see Bayern winning all 6 in this one and Ajax getting through with a couple of home wins and maybe a point or two away. AEK might spring a shock at home.

GROUP F - City and Lyon through, Shakhtar third. Might be a bit early for Hoffenheim to get anywhere but they're an unknown quantity at this level and might bother City at home if they choose to be a bit more direct. Otherwise, I expect City to breeze through but both games against Lyon could be classics.

GROUP G - Real and Roma through, CSKA third. No problems here for the top two. Plzen will do well to get a point. CSKA should get a draw against Real or Roma at home but it won't be anywhere near enough.

GROUP H - Juve and Valencia through, United third. If Mourinho sticks around, United will pay for a lack of attacking intent against teams that perform best when opponents sit back in numbers. Can see United not winning a game against those two. Young Boys will be royally dicked. (No Saville.)

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Liverpool have had the best defence in the league since we got bummed by Tottenham.

The naked numbers support this but every coach in Europe would have looked at the four conceded in Rome in the semi final, noted that no additions have been made to the back four and be thinking "there's goals here if we get at them."

Europa league draw today, this is strangely the first time since 2007/08 season that 2 Scottish teams have been in group stages, when 2 teams were in the Champions League. Celtic are in pot 2 and Rangers 4. Pretty likely one of them will get Chelsea and Arsenal, and there are some top teams in Pot 1 and some goodens in pot 3 and 4. So a hard draw is very possible, there are 12 league champions in the draw in total.

10 hours ago, air_raid said:

The naked numbers support this but every coach in Europe would have looked at the four conceded in Rome in the semi final, noted that no additions have been made to the back four and be thinking "there's goals here if we get at them."

The keeper's different as has been noted. Not to mention they have Keita and Fabinho as additions in midfield and TAA and Robertson will only improve.

Tough draw for Celtic, a group with 3 champions in it, the Champions League doesn't have that. Salzburg will be a tough match but probably one of the best draws you could get from Pot 1 but Leipzig (only pot 3 as this is their 2nd season in Europe) are a tough pot 3 team and Rosenborg we have already faced twice this season, but can be decent on their day.

Chelsea seem to have a fairly easy group and I think PAOK will be the only ones to cause them problems. Vidi and Borisov should be easy for them.

Arsenal have it a bit tougher with Sporting Lisbon.

Rangers also have a toughie with Villareal, Rapid Vienna and Spartak Moscow.