Royal Rumble 2018 Discussion [& stats]

tiger_rick

5 minutes ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

Was waiting till 3am to tune in so I could watch the Royal Rumble and then I find out it's already more than halfway over, cos you know, political correctness.

Fuck sakes.

They might as well rename it Wrestlewomania and be done with it, right?

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could watch Brock and Braun stiff each other, all day.

Men's Rumble was excellent and the Women's Rumble was decent, with the right winners in both. Still not on board with Ronda though but glad they didn't give in to temptation and put her in the match.

On Ronda I'm assuming it's a multi match deal then? Eye balling the champions and getting her had slapped away by Asuka, gave me that impression.

Stephanie really is the absolute worst. Added nothing to commentary and of course Ronda coming in had to be about her at the very end.

Rest of the show was ok.

Anyone else notice long hair in the front row get his hopes up for Dolph every two minutes, then make sure once he was eliminated the hard cam saw him theatrically thumbs down everything else for the rest of the match? What a cretin. 

• Paid Members
Just now, The King Of Swing said:

On Ronda I'm assuming it's a multi match deal then? Eye balling the champions and getting her had slapped away by Asuka, gave me that impression.

She's full time apparently! Exactly what 'full time' entails, and whether it's the same as full time in the sense of working TV every week and house shows will remain to be seen. But it certainly doesn't look like a Brock deal.

• Paid Members

The Rumbles were great this year! 

I don't get Nakamura personally, but I can see how he was the right guy to go over in the mens match. Although I'd have loved to see Rusev as a surprise winner. He seems one of the most over guys they have now, what with the Rusev Day stuff...

But the women, wow! I have to be honest, I expected not to enjoy it but once it kicked off I was glued to the screen. And it did actually feel like a massive deal, and not like a normal match that the WWE had over hyped like I initially thought. Only negatives I can think of was the amount of time certain entrants spent on the outside(although they needed to be for certain spots) and I wish they would find a better way for the women to run the ropes, although I understand that their lack of hight makes in hard for them to attack them like most of the men do. But that is me really nit picking!

Overall, what more do you want from a Rumble PPV? You got two cracking Rumbles and Brock stiffing his way through Strowman and Kane, then the big surprise reveal!

3 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

She's full time apparently! Exactly what 'full time' entails, and whether it's the same as full time in the sense of working TV every week and house shows will remain to be seen. But it certainly doesn't look like a Brock deal.

As much as I rag on Ronda, I could definitely get behind a long term feud with Asuka if done well. Fuck it have them face off in a champion Vs. champion match I say.

Personally I'm hoping that the Women's Rumble wasn't a one and done. Both were different enough not to drag the show down, they could alternate between which one closes the show imo.

That final six in the men's match was sublime. Really felt big.

Bella Twins making the final three was a little flat imo. Guess they were trying to portray Asuka as being outnumbered but I doubt anyone bought into Asuka losing out to either of them.

Nia Jax spending most of the match having a nap dragged it down imo.

Anyone else catch Trish signaling the notorious "v sign" against Mickie? Their face off was definitely a highlight with Trish getting some payback after all these years.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

As for Ronda Rousey, she's a good match for WWE, but the Holm and Nunes fights basically exposed her as a marketing tool for the UFC who was lucky to be there at the right time and right place.

Her lack of technique and bull in a china shop fighting style went only so far.

Yeah, her Olympic judo bronze medal and the fact she tore through everyone else makes her a real Dada 5000, doesn't it? Going the diametric opposite of drinking the Kool-Aid is just as bad as drinking it. I don't like Rousey, I think she's a bully and a bell-end, but saying she was nothing more than a lucky marketing tool is utter crap. Holm was one of the world's best boxers, and Nunes is one of the best strikers in WMMA; losing to them doesn't make her worthless.

@wandshogun09, @jimufctna24, your thoughts please.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

That final six in the men's match was sublime. Really felt big.

Agree with this. And not to be a hypocrite with about 5 entrants left I was thiking this has been a good match and it's a shame there aren't some huge stars left to top it off but they did it.

Great show, even with the filler stuff.

I downloaded the 2 hour pre-show and got through it in about 20 minutes. The first two match were dull time killers. I was mildly intrigued to see who would accept Roode's open challenge and I'm sure you can picture my annoyance when Mojo came out. Best to avoid the pre-show.

AJ vs Owens/Zayn was a good way to open the show. That hurricanrana spot was neat. AJ really is great, isn't he? I have no issue with the finish as it leaves to door open for singles matches between AJ & Owens & Zayn, even if they are just filler matches until we get AJ/Nakamura at 'Mania.

Usos vs Gable/Benjamin was decent. The 2/3 falls stipulation was a bit pointless and the crowd seemed to be a bit restless.

I wasn't expecting the men's Rumble to go on so early. Fantastic match, best Rumble in years. Balor had a great performance. Loved Slater's ongoing comedy bit. All the surprise entrants were great and benefited the match. The finishing stretch was magnificent, possibly one of the best ever for Rumble matches. The WWE approved babyfaces teaming up to take on the indy darlings gave the ending a nice dynamic. The idea of Reigns tossing out Nakamura gave me anxiety. It's not often wrestling can do that for me. 

The Raw Tag Title match was boring. Decent enough action, but everyone was burnt out from the Rumble. Would of best to save this for Raw. I do like Jordan's current character though.

The triple threat was good. It features a lot of the same stuff we've seen before with Lesnar and Braun. This had nothing on Lesnar's match at Summerslam or his one with AJ last year though.

The women's Rumble was a success. The surprise entrants got a bit tiring after a while. It's hard to care about some of the returns when a lot of the women like Kelly Kelly and Torrie Wilson had little personality or character. I find the 'women's wrestling' chants a bit too self-congratulatory. Asuka and Sasha were the MVPs here. Might be best to do a 20 women Rumble next year though.

Asuka vs Rousey has the potential to close out Wrestlemania. I'm down for that.

• Moderators

What was up with the acting in that final segment? Nobody seemed to be in character. When they were waiting for Rousey's music to hit, Charlotte was nervously looking around, looking at the camera, like none of them realised they were on camera. Then Rousey comes down in Andre the Giant's leather jacket, and apart from Asuka, everyone seemed like they'd been teleported in there with no idea who or where they were.

Archived