Royal Rumble 2018 Discussion [& stats]

tiger_rick

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It'd make sense to as it's a first and it'd be different. There's so much potential for surprises there, whereas when they've not announced a lot of people for the Rumble the last few years it tends to have been filled out with jobbers etc. I am a little worried that the likes of Naomi etc could make a pig's breakfast of it and you don't want people's last memories of this year's Rumble being "Bloody hell, that was sloppy". I'm not saying it will be, but if the likes of Naomi, Tamina and Nia in there it could get rough in more than a few places.

What about if Carmella wins it? There's that added pressure then for the champion of having to pin her twice just in case she cashes in if she was to lose.

Is there anybody from the first Rumble that could make an appearance? What shape is Duggan in? That'd be a nice cameo. The Winner of the first one (to be officially recognised) turning up in the 30th?

I feel like they missed a unique opportunity for Carmella to cash in her briefcase.

The MITB concept is tired enough as it is, but with both champions and 4 referees at ringside, it would’ve been a cool moment if, amongst all the confusion and bodies everywhere, Carmella had clobbered Charlotte/Alexa with her briefcase then got one of the refs to count the pinfall on whichever Champion Carmella wanted.

• Paid Members

Some of the surprise entries were good. I was genuinely surprised to see Rey, especially since he's wrestling on live TV for 5Star wrestling on Thursday. That's some bad business. It's not like WWE would let him trot out with one of their t-shirts on or get Cole to give them a plug. Although there's potential for a lot of "Rey was in the Royal Rumble this past Sunday, and now he's here in Liverpool" to be had.on commentary.

When it was down to two, I didn't want to think about the possibilities, even convinced myself the PLAN was unbreakable. Then they did it. As for the women, right result, and then the WWE again showed they can swerve even the "smartest" of internet fans. Fair play to Ronda, would have been nice to hear the commentary team mention it was Roddy's jacket, even to explain she hadn't just borrowed some jacket too big for her. Wildly reading into it, I did lip read something like "Nice title, Charlotte" from Rousey's lips, and TBH I have no issues with it being Asuka/Bliss (or Carmella if she cashes in and wins, to avoid Bliss taking a clean loss) and Charlotte/Ronda. 

Also, poor Heath. Although he is claiming the record for fastest elimination.

PS: Give it up Kofi, you've run out of ideas.

• Paid Members

Two enjoyable Rumble matches I thought. The lack of people lying around helped greatly this year. The booking was good as well. It was surprising that it came down to 6 babyfaces but leaving Naka alone with the two most hated babyfaces ever (?) was clever. The only real problem I had with it was Rollins, Sheamus and Cesaro being involved. Could easily have done something more interesting than them three. Good to see Rey, he looked top.

Women's match wasn't technically great but the long list of returnees kept it very interesting. I genuinely would never want to see this again because they can't recapture that. For one night though, it was good. Having the Rousey surprise after was interesting. Quite stunned if honest that they didn't take Asuka's moment. I like mcCool falling over twice in her first ten seconds ahead of the pre-prepared lines about how great she looked.

I'd watch these back. Long time since I've thought that about a Rumble. I've had to watch the last three back for the stats through gritted teeth.

Overall a good show for me. Happy with the outcomes of both Rumbles.

Really hope they go all out with Nakamura and Styles at Mania. Extravagant entrances and let them go a good 30 minutes focusing on the fact they are battling for THE main championship title in the company.

Finn Balor is slowly but surely growing on me. Really liked the new colour scheme he had going on. Just feel that a heel turn and better use of his stable with The Club could be the making of him.

Is there a back story to the Kevin Owens / Pete Rosenburg stuff on the pre-show? 

Archived