Royal Rumble 2018 Discussion [& stats]

tiger_rick

7 hours ago, Simpo said:

It'd be impossible to book, but I can't get the idea out of my head of someone having a "perfect game" to use baseball/bowling terminology, and eliminating everybody else themselves.

Reminds me of playing WWF Royal Rumble on the SNES  and restarting anytime someone was eliminated by the CPU. You got a little special pop up for doing it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
On 10/01/2018 at 1:31 AM, Simpo said:

It'd be impossible to book, but I can't get the idea out of my head of someone having a "perfect game" to use baseball/bowling terminology, and eliminating everybody else themselves. Especially if it was somebody popular with the crowd, they'd start to notice what was going on, and could create a memorable rising atmosphere. Even if somebody managed to eliminate ~20, and obliterate the record, that would be a great story in itself.

The massive challenge would be not making everyone else look piss weak. I just think there's so much unexplored opportunities with this unique match, coupled with it being such a long-running format that could encourage poking and prodding at the booking format. Really do some mad stuff.

The only way I could think of it is rather than it being an hour of somebody literally chucking everybody over the top rope as they come to the ring he'd just happen to be involved in the situations where more than one person is needed to eliminate somebody. Maybe a heel being the opportunist rather than "superman" babyface bookinig?

• Paid Members

I'm looking forward to the Rumble and getting my hopes up, mainly because it's THE ROYAL RUMBLE, but really, it's not looking great is it? I'm hoping it'll surprise me, rather than expecting it to be good. 

Full Match Card Below

Pre Show

United States Title Open Challenge 

Bobby Roode(c) Vs. ???

The Revival Vs Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson

Kalisto, Gran Metalik and Lince Dorado Vs. Jack Gallagher, TJP and Drew Gulak

Main Card

Two Out Of Three Falls Smackdown Live Tag Title Match

The Usos(c) Vs. Chad Gable and Shelton Benjamin

Raw Tag Team Title Match.          

Seth Rollins and Jason Jordan(c) Vs Sheamus and Cesaro

Handicap Match for the WWE Heavyweight Title.

AJ Styles(c) Vs. Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn

WWE Universal Championship Match.    

Brock Lesnar(c) Vs. Braun Strowman Vs Kane

30 Women Royal Rumble Match

30 Men Royal Rumble Match

Going to be a bloody long night isn’t it - don’t see this finishing at 4! 

Looking forward to it but mainly because it’s the Royal Rumble, big events are usually a let down by WWE these days so I’m not getting too excited but nonetheless have Monday booked off work so can watch it all unfold live.

Hopefully a surprise in the Men’s rumble match as the rumoured winners so far do nothing for me

I see this going 4 and a half, and the preshow on top. Once you take the two Rumbles at about an hour 15 each, 2-of-3 and the handicap going at least a half hour each at least (I'm expecting 10 mins after the handicap match, whatever the outcome), leaves much less than an hour for the Universal, and the tag titles. Add in promos, skits, and the inevitable 10 mins of sponsor content and the "Colonel" running around.

That, or they're gonna squeeze everything and it's gonna feel rushed. Has anywhere definitive stated the running order? Or are we assuming Brock's on last?

• Paid Members

I could see the Universal title match being quite short. In the 6 or 7 minute range. 

Jason Jordan and Kevin Owens are both nursing injuries, so those two matches may well be in the sub 15 minute category.

I haven't heard if WWE have announced the time gaps for Rumble entries, but my guess is, that on the night, they keep it to 90 seconds tops, in order to keep things constantly moving. The women's match has the potential to be terrible for long periods. Then the men's doesn't look to have too many people in it that are actually over, so trying to channel the spirit of 1995, and keeping the action moving briskly, may be a way to make them both turn out well. 

• Paid Members

Who's answering the open challenge? I'm hoping it'd be a surprise debut for James Storm, but I'm smelling it being Ziggler?

Archived