Royal Rumble 2018 Discussion [& stats]

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

So am I right @tiger_rick that the youngest ever participant was Kenny Dykstra 21 in 2007 and that the oldest was Jimmy Snuka 65 in the 2008 Rumble.

Rene Dupree is the youngest by a few months from Dykstra. If Moolah or Mae Young was still around, I think Snuka's record would be going!

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Do you think there is any chance Tyler Bate could be in and break the youngest  record? I think if any of the WWEUK guys get in then it will probably be Dunne but I think there could be a chance. 

As for oldest I don't think you can ever rule Vince out of a Rumble. That crazy old bastard probably thinks he should still win. 

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Rene Dupree is the youngest by a few months from Dykstra. If Moolah or Mae Young was still around, I think Snuka's record would be going!

Yep, that’s correct. If I’ve got my numbers right Rene was 20 years, 1 month and 10 days old in his first Rumble. Dykstra was also 20 but he was born in March and Dupree in December so Rene gets the edge. This means that Tyler Bate’s probably missed out on being the youngest ever by a few months. However if he was in this year’s match he’d almost definitely be the youngest in it - the last time the youngest competitor was younger than 27 was Bo Dallas in 2013.

(that means that if Dunne gets in instead, he’d probably get the same honour.)

I’ve got Snuka down as 64 rather than 65 in the 2008 Rumble, but regardless there’s an age gap of nearly 45 years between oldest and youngest ever Rumble participants - I don’t think that’ll ever be topped. DDP got in two years ago at 58, and last year had Taker and Goldberg who were both getting on, but I can’t imagine they’ll ever have anyone past their mid-60s in a Rumble again.

Old Superfly has the distinction of being the eldest competitor in the 1990, 1991 and 2008 Rumbles, which is crazy.

One tidbit that’ll start coming up more frequently is Rumble competitors who were born after the first Royal Rumble happened. Bo Dallas and Jack Gallagher are both younger than the Rumble match, so anyone basically aged under 29 should be added to that club this year.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Hard to shift... I love this stat, but how in the fuck did Hassan and Morrison make it any where near that list? Disgusting.

Earthquake, Big Vis, Rikishi, Morrison, behave.

You may well know this, but those two occurrences were somewhat different to there NEEDING to be loads of guys teaming up to eliminate an opponent because of size and/or ability.

Hassan was presented as “everyone - Raw or Smackdown, heel or face - hates this guy because he’s a nasty terrorist type” so everyone ganged up on him pretty much as soon as he hit the ring.

Morrison just ran into the buzzsaw of a bunch of New Nexus guys being in the ring during that period they (Punk, primarily) dominated the match, with Punk getting on the mic between eliminations etc. That said, now I think about it I might have to revise my earlier comment about the ability of the opponent not coming into it, because they might have referenced Morrison’s previous exploits of avoiding elimination via parkour techniques, and how Punk had a genius gameplan by leaving no room for error by getting a whole bunch of them involved on the elimination. I might have made that subtext up in my head, though.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, BomberPat said:

In terms of surprise entrants, by my reckoning there's 10 women from RAW eligible, and another 9 from Smackdown, leaving eleven potential surprise entrants, which is just bonkers.

Who am I missing from RAW? I have Asuka, Bayley, Paige, Deville, Rose, Nia, Sasha, Mickie and Alicia Foooooooxxx.

edit: it's Dana Brooke isn't it. I completely forget she exists, then remember she's cosplaying Alexandra York

Wikipedia is showing 11 active Raw females, and 10 active SD (not counting Nikki and Brie)

RAW

Alexa, Alicia Fox, Asuka, Bayley, Dana Brooke, Mandy Rose, Mickie James, Nia, Paige, Sasha, and Sonya Deville

Smackdown

Becky, Carmella, Charlotte, Lana, Liv Morgan, Naomi, Natalya, Ruby, Sarah Logan and Tamina.

That's 21 just from main roster (usual Wikipedia caveat).

Add a few from NXT, like Kairi Sane, Nikki Cross, Baszler, Peyton and Billie, takes us to 26, leaving room for a couple of HoFers (Beth for one) and perhaps a new debut.

• Awards Moderator
12 minutes ago, bigfoote said:

Wikipedia is showing 11 active Raw females, and 10 active SD (not counting Nikki and Brie)

RAW

Alexa, Alicia Fox, Asuka, Bayley, Dana Brooke, Mandy Rose, Mickie James, Nia, Paige, Sasha, and Sonya Deville

Smackdown

Becky, Carmella, Charlotte, Lana, Liv Morgan, Naomi, Natalya, Ruby, Sarah Logan and Tamina.

That's 21 just from main roster (usual Wikipedia caveat).

Add a few from NXT, like Kairi Sane, Nikki Cross, Baszler, Peyton and Billie, takes us to 26, leaving room for a couple of HoFers (Beth for one) and perhaps a new debut.

Charlotte and Alexa won't be in it though, will they? Why would the Raw and SmackDown champions enter a match where, if they win, they get a shot at the title they already hold?

Logically, you're totally right. Was only including them for the sake of completeness. But getting my crayons out, could we not see a title vs title at Mania and a return to a company wide "unified" Champ, and have the current belts as second string?

On 08/01/2018 at 12:55 PM, Kaz Hayashi said:

Hard to shift... I love this stat, but how in the fuck did Hassan and Morrison make it any where near that list? Disgusting.

Earthquake, Big Vis, Rikishi, Morrison, behave.

Anyway, nice one Rick, cracking start to the afternoon.

Hassan was there Because Racism. upon his entrance all the faces and heels -including American hero Luther Reigns- stopped fighting and focused on him, delivered finishers before chucking him out. Love that Rumble but fuck sake that spot never gets easier to watch

It'd be impossible to book, but I can't get the idea out of my head of someone having a "perfect game" to use baseball/bowling terminology, and eliminating everybody else themselves. Especially if it was somebody popular with the crowd, they'd start to notice what was going on, and could create a memorable rising atmosphere. Even if somebody managed to eliminate ~20, and obliterate the record, that would be a great story in itself.

The massive challenge would be not making everyone else look piss weak. I just think there's so much unexplored opportunities with this unique match, coupled with it being such a long-running format that could encourage poking and prodding at the booking format. Really do some mad stuff.

13 hours ago, bigfoote said:

Logically, you're totally right. Was only including them for the sake of completeness. But getting my crayons out, could we not see a title vs title at Mania and a return to a company wide "unified" Champ, and have the current belts as second string?

Not totally in favor of it but you could have both champs enter wanting to get a shot at the others belt on the big stage. From a story line point of view Alexa could easily set this off because she knows it prevents her having to defend her title for a while as well, followed by Charlotte basically entering herself to counteract and possibly regain the Raw women's title. 

Archived