Royal Rumble 2018 Discussion [& stats]

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Cena still needs his record-setting title reign. I'm amazed they went all last year without doing it. 

Last minute elimination for him, comes back at Elim Chamber for an old yeller style redemption? They never followed up on him discarding his gear when he lost to Reigns either. 

I'm guessing you moved onto Taker halfway through your post?!

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Rick, I can't fathom the amount of work that must have went into this, in order to set it up originally and then to keep it updated afterwards. Fair play to you for going to all the effort, it's a great read. 

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I'm guessing you moved onto Taker halfway through your post?!

Cena quite ceremoniously took off his wrist/arm bands after his loss to Reigns, at a time when there were hints being dropped that it would be his last match. It seemed a quite obvious parallel to what Taker had done, to me.

• Awards Moderator
6 minutes ago, Statto said:

Cena quite ceremoniously took off his wrist/arm bands after his loss to Reigns, at a time when there were hints being dropped that it would be his last match. It seemed a quite obvious parallel to what Taker had done, to me.

It would have been brilliant if everybody who lost to Reigns started leaving their stuff in the ring, and Roman started coming out for matches in a combo of all the new gear he'd acquired. Taker's hat, Cena's t-shirt, Braun's trousers and Samoa Joe's towel around his neck. 

Agreed that this is an absolute cracking read every year. Top work. It should be in the voting for post of the year every time.

Anyways: Prediction for the men's has to be Nakamura unless they've given up on him already. Women's I'm going to punt for Paige. 

• Paid Members

I'm guessing Nakamura for the Rumble, too. Having two titles will always have some people complaining that the Rumble winner doesn't necessarily go on to headline Wrestlemania, but under the circumstances, that makes perfect sense - have someone win the Rumble that'll get a decent reaction from the live crowd, while Reigns can still get his big match with Lesnar without having to go through the slog of him winning the Rumble in Philly again.

Women's Rumble...it has to be Asuka, surely? I know they don't tend to count battle royals when it comes to undefeated streaks, but the idea of having her lose in any capacity at this point seems counterintuitive. The only way I can see her losing is if it's to somehow set up a match with Ronda Rousey at Wrestlemania, but I don't want to see Ronda in the Rumble match itself - maybe, off the top of my head, have Ronda at ringside for some reason set up earlier in the match (maybe Shayna Baszler can be a surprise entrant, and Rousey accompany her to the ring?), and have her and Asuka get into a war of words after Asuka eliminates Baszler, then while Asuka is distracted, have a heel sneak up behind her and dump her out? That sets up Asuka vs. Rousey for 'Mania, while also giving Asuka an opponent for the February PPV (whoever it is that eliminates her), and keeping one brand's title match for whoever wins the Rumble. You could easily use the Rumble match to set up three or four separate women's matches for Wrestlemania, if it's booked smartly enough. I don't expect any of that to actually happen.

In terms of surprise entrants, by my reckoning there's 10 women from RAW eligible, and another 9 from Smackdown, leaving eleven potential surprise entrants, which is just bonkers. I'm glad that the women are being given a (more or less) equal platform, as I had expected they'd get a 20 woman Rumble match rather than 30, but eleven mystery entrants could be overkill unless they start explaining it with NXT qualifiers or something.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Nikki Bella as a surprise entrant, and from NXT I can see Nikki Cross getting the nod, along with one or both of the Iconic Duo. That still leaves a lot of gaps to fill.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

It would have been brilliant if everybody who lost to Reigns started leaving their stuff in the ring, and Roman started coming out for matches in a combo of all the new gear he'd acquired. Taker's hat, Cena's t-shirt, Braun's trousers and Samoa Joe's towel around his neck. 

I love the idea of Reigns coming out swamped in Strowman’s massive strides, like Cena wearing a suit.

When it happened I was expecting not to see Cena again until Mania season, when him & Taker would both return & base a match off “neither of us are ‘The Man’ we used to be, but we can still have a hell of fight” deal - sets that up & puts Reigns over too.

On the women’s rumble entrants - you’ve obviously got a few women out there who sections of the audience are familiar with from the Mae Young Classic who can “make up the numbers” with a one-off appearance. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Kairi Sane get a spot as the winner of that.

Beth Phoenix seems a good shout for a “legend” cameo, having been in the men’s Rumble before, and presumably still in good physical condition.

Kaitlyn has been training for an in-ring return lately so wouldn’t be astounded to see her show up. Chelsea Green/Laurel van Ness has also been rumoured having apparently left TNA & being in a relationship with Zack Ryder.

• Awards Moderator
51 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

*DUN-DUN, DUN-DUN, DUN-DUN, DUN-DUN-DUN, DUN-DUN*

Joey-Roman2.gif.bba5a971425425a5437b676962d3b482.gif

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Amazing work. Looks like the third member of Three Minute Warning.

Last Minute Warning?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Statto said:

Ah, thanks for that. I haven't seen that bit. So basically he did the same thing he did after he lost to Styles at SummerSlam that time? When AJ they started hamming it up wearing his bands.

Edge seemed to know all the details about the woman’s rumble re rules and number of entrants a few days after announcement before it was shared on tv, so highly likely Beth Phoenix has had the call. 

Hearing a lotta mentions of trish, but I can’t see her wasting a comeback on a rumble entry, when I’m sure if she came back they would put her in a woman’s title match at mania anyway 

Archived