Royal Rumble 2018 Discussion [& stats]

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah I thought a few bits were set up too heavy handed.  Like when one of the Bella's was in there, then with a new entrant about to come in, everyone started laying into her. Made it obvious who was about to come in, but a small quibble.

I did see Trish do the V thing to Mickie but it looked like they cut away to make sure it wasn't on TV,  Agree on the last segment as well, they seemed to be just stood there and Rousey's graphic popped up and they quickly cut away, then 10 seconds later they acted all amazed.  I wonder if they put the graphic up too early.  Thought Rousey looked like she was pissing about to be honest, took a bit of shine away from Asuka.  Still, I'm one of those idiots who still thinks with good booking, anything can work.  So yeah, job done, I'm interested.

giphy.gif

Got to agree Keith! I was genuinely considering cancelling the series links on Sky, sacking off the network and chalking fuck on wrestling all together as it wasn't doing anything for me anymore. Last night's event was so enjoyable though, and with the curiosity of how they are going to usr Rousey I think I'm going to have to hold on for a bit longer...

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shamrock came in as a guest ref. If she’s taking it super seriously she wouldn’t be wrestling in Same time as a MMA training camp that is just to hone her existing skills. No way she’s FT like the other women, she’s got loads of outside commitments she can’t just drop like a stone to wrestle The house show schedule straight away. 

• Paid Members

ESPN is saying its a full time deal though. There's probably scope for her to take time off like Miz and Co for movies but unless she's got anything in pre production already they could easily hold off on her vs Asuka until next Mania as a champion vs champion match (even if it is a case she doesn't win a belt straight away and goes down a Steph route or vs the 4 Horsewomen). Can easily be planted from Survivor Series with her and Asuka both being DQ'd from the match for brawling on the outside so they're both still undefeated. 

8 minutes ago, Louch said:

Shamrock came in as a guest ref. If she’s taking it super seriously she wouldn’t be wrestling in Same time as a MMA training camp that is just to hone her existing skills. No way she’s FT like the other women, she’s got loads of outside commitments she can’t just drop like a stone to wrestle The house show schedule straight away. 

What commitments? She’s been underground longer than the Picadilly Line.

I’m sure she’s got the odd bit, to be fair, but she’s not The Rock. And she’s made a point of saying that she’s making time to focus on this.

And I don’t think House Shows matter too much to the impression of her being full time. If she’s on every Raw and/or SmackDown and then Pay Per Views, she’ll be seen as being full time.

Also, she’s Ronda Rousey, not Ken Shamrock. Shamrock was a punt on someone who looked the part, it was before UFC went mainstream and he wasn’t considered a genuine main event concern. Given the current divisional parity there’s every chance Ronda is going to be expected to main event one of the big pay per views. Given what else is on offer, I wouldn’t even be massively surprised if she headline Mania.

She’s a superstar who crossed over into the mainstream. They’ve got regular media discussing her debut. They’re talking up her status as a full time member of the roster. They can’t just slap her in a referee’s shirt. They might as well just make her guest ring announcer.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

ESPN is saying its a full time deal though.

What's "full time", though?

I think they're saying she's a "full-time pro wrestler" to make it clear that she's doing this now and not going back to UFC, it's not that she's going to be wrestling Carmella on the house show circuit.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

What's "full time", though?

I think they're saying she's a "full-time pro wrestler" to make it clear that she's doing this now and not going back to WWE, it's not that she's going to be wrestling Carmella on the house show circuit.

Good point. 

Though I guess while she's not on that circuit if you're right, they can still have her doing the occasional bigger house show (she's a huge wrestling fan, MSG has to be up there with her to perform in). 

She has films she is already committed to For one, her MMA sponsorships come with commitments etc. 

one minute in your reply she’s a nobody with no commitments, next she’s a massive star who should be main event. Which one do you want her to be so I know which to answer properly Daz?

1 minute ago, Louch said:

She has films she is already committed to For one, her MMA sponsorships come with commitments etc. 

one minute in your reply she’s a nobody with no commitments, next she’s a massive star who should be main event. Which one do you want her to be so I know which to answer properly Daz?

I’m sorry I questioned your shitty idea which was more long sighted than anything those schleps at the WWE would do.

Two things, though: she’s not currently an active MMA fighter. I doubt she has outstanding commitments to her MMA sponsors, but if she did I’m fairly sure that won’t have been overlooked by the WWE (they are short sighted, though) and will have been factored in before they announced her as full time to the mainstream press.

Also, it’s completely possible for superstars to have a light diary. Conor McGregor is a star, and he’s spent the last 6 months renting fairgrounds and going to fashion shows.

Ronda is a crossover superstar who hit the skids. WWE are capitalising on that dip in fortunes, by using her remaining star power to push Wrestlemania. For her part, she’s a massive WWE fan and fancies a proper run. Excellent. Now, the WWE (again, I know they’re short sighted schleps who lack your business acumen) wouldn’t announce her as full-time, active competitor if what they actually meant was she a guest ref with too many commitments to attend tapings.

Full time just means she is not doing mma while with wwe, it doesn’t mean she’s starting wrestling straight off the bat. Given current level of female superstars, unless she’s turned up and is a day one natural like Angle was, then she shouldn’t be in matches until she is trained for a serious amount of time, as mania will get lots of practice run throughs for her to look perfect, but it’s not gonna have her looking good a month later at backlash and the shine comes off her and have no one care.

Rushing her into a match if she is sticking around benefits no one. So if thinking let’s not rush a mania match and hold off until summer slam when she will be more fully trained is a shitty idea to you, I’ll happily disagree with you on this

• Paid Members

I'm kind of caught in the middle on that one - with the way she's brought in, it'll go over like a fart at a funeral to have her doing anything other than wrestling at Wrestlemania. But it needs to be against someone who can either carry her to a decent match, someone who can wrestle a convincing worked MMA fight, or someone that can logically have a high drama smoke and mirrors overbooked mess with her - and no one jumps out at me in the women's division that fits the bill.

I don't think she's going to be wrestling at every pay-per-view, though, let alone popping up RAW every week. Let her have a Wrestlemania match that's mostly stalling, smoke and mirrors and carried by the sheer spectacle of Ronda Rousey wrestling in WWE, and then take the next few months off and hope for the best.

At her first Wrestlemania, she doesn't need to be Kurt Angle, she needs to be Lawrence Taylor. If she's still there for Summerslam and next year's 'Mania, there's time for her to get the work in and improve. But of course, it's all conjecture anyway, we have no idea what to expect from her, really.

8 minutes ago, Louch said:

Full time just means she is not doing mma while with wwe, it doesn’t mean she’s starting wrestling straight off the bat. Given current level of female superstars, unless she’s turned up and is a day one natural like Angle was, then she shouldn’t be in matches until she is trained for a serious amount of time, as mania will get lots of practice run throughs for her to look perfect, but it’s not gonna have her looking good a month later at backlash and the shine comes off her and have no one care.

Rushing her into a match if she is sticking around benefits no one. So if thinking let’s not rush a mania match and hold off until summer slam when she will be more fully trained is a shitty idea to you, I’ll happily disagree with you on this

Its insane to think that she’s going to be anything other than a regular on TV/PPV for at least a year (though, owing to her profile I’d be fine with her ‘working a program-leave for a bit-work another program’ type schedule). There isn’t an angle here for them to work. There’s no benefit for them in saying she’s full time when she’s not. From a strictly marketing perspective ‘one night only, exclusively at Wrestlemania’ (yadda yadda yadda) is a way more compelling pitch than ‘at Wrestlemania...and then for a bit after that’. And if we accept that she’s coming in as a competitor, surely we have to accept that they aren’t going to start her run as a referee, thus waiting 15 months for her to make a competitive appearance at Wrestlemania? When all the heat will have turned to ice.

Youre acting as if she signed yesterday and now has to start from scratch? One presumes she’s done some training behind closed doors. Certainly enough to get her guided through a match at Mania.

This is a company that have had Lawrence Taylor and Snookie in flagship Mania matches. I think Ronda will be fine.

They need to strike whilst the iron is hot, surely?

I’m amazed anyone could watch last night, read the press release and still come to the conclusion she should start her stint as a ref.

For a kickoff, her appeal, such as it is, is that she’s not a ‘do nothing bitch’ and she’s a badass who’ll take on any challenge. Her fans are hardly going to fork out their hard earned cash to watch her do what is essentially stripy admin.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I think the main problem is that Rousey couldn't seem to decide whether she was going with super-serious and dramatic, or smiling and happy to be there - at one point the camera caught her very abruptly changing facial expression. She took her sweet time, too, which made it feel even more awkward when it didn't really amount to anything. Could have done with a "less is more" approach - did we really need to see her and Stephanie do a Megapowers handshake, or could that not have waited until tonight?

Yeah, I agree. I’d have preferred her to have been serious, march down, stare the 3 of them up and down, point to the sign just once, look at Steph with venom and then do one. Quick and to the point. 

Other than that we all thoroughly enjoyed it at our get together. A really fun show overall. Exactly what a Rumble should be.

• Paid Members

I'm well up for HHH/Steph vs Rock/Ronda. It's about as big a match as they can make. Plus, I really really want to see Triple H and The Rock go at it one last time.

It also means, if Rousey is sticking around, they can save her title challenge for down the road.

Archived