Royal Rumble 2018 Discussion [& stats]

tiger_rick

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Is there some sort of heat in Sasha backstage? A couple of things Graves said seemed a bit odd:

"Sasha isn't in a faction, because no-one likes her" and "You know, Sasha, where there's a back, there's a knife" both seemed a bit oddly harsh, and specific to her. But could be just Graves being a heel commentator, I suppose.

Interesting that they’re already advertising Nakamura v Styles as a lock for WrestleMania when they still have the SmackDown PPV Fastlane in March. You’d have to assume AJ isn’t defending the title which would be odd as you could be looking at an over 3 month build to this match with him just killing time which won’t help anyone 

5 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Is there some sort of heat in Sasha backstage? A couple of things Graves said seemed a bit odd:

"Sasha isn't in a faction, because no-one likes her" and "You know, Sasha, where there's a back, there's a knife" both seemed a bit oddly harsh, and specific to her. But could be just Graves being a heel commentator, I suppose.

Graves isn't particularly consistent. He'll be all ripping on the faces one second and burying Elias the next.

It's like he's inherited all of JBL's worst traits.

9 minutes ago, Doog said:

Interesting that they’re already advertising Nakamura v Styles as a lock for WrestleMania when they still have the SmackDown PPV Fastlane in March. You’d have to assume AJ isn’t defending the title which would be odd as you could be looking at an over 3 month build to this match with him just killing time which won’t help anyone 

AJ & Nakamura  Vs. Owens & Sami maybe? Could add a stipulation that Owens & Sami would be added to the Wrestlemania match if they win.

Sure it would be a blatant time killer but would be a good match and could also be used to further the current Shane/Daniel storyline.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed the show. Haven't seen much since Mania but watched both Rumbles and the Lesnar match. Just some things i took away. 

- Sami Zayn walkout! The fuck is it about? Was first thing i saw and thought to myself, i can't deal with this. 

- I'm all in for some Lesnar/Braun

- Nakamura had no presence during the Rumble. Like zero. Intentional for the finish? 

- Rusev was rumble MVP. Balor impressed me for first time.

- Trish was MVP. 

-  I'm a huge Sasha Banks fan but she's need to evolve the gimmick/look. I mean the rings piss me off and is she still wearing Kanye 2007 Stronger glasses?

- Rousey draws me in but can anybody else see this all ending in tears in quick fashion? I just can't see her sketchy behavior towards the end off her UFC run not appearing in this super intense situation she now finds herself in.

• Awards Moderator
7 hours ago, Silky Kisser said:

it was a shocker to see how little a fuck people care for Bailey. The crowd was dead for her arrival and she just came off like such a non star.

That Bayley isn't the female John Cena as she was hand-picked to be is one of the biggest mis-steps in recent booking. 

I cling to the hope that finally Sasha booting her from the Rumble ignites their feud and we can pretend it's 2015 NXT all over again. 

Really enjoyed that.  They needed to bounce back after RAW 25 and they did so. Rousey's debut wasn't how I expected it to go but it was a pretty big moment.

The two Rumble matches were pretty great and it's nice to come out of them with most people satisfied with the winners after the past few years. Loved the amount of surprises in the women's match and Rey looked like he'd just come out of a time machine in the men's. Lesnar/Braun/Kane was just 10 minutes of pure carnage, these Brock matches work so much better when they're special attractions and not the main selling point of the show.

• Paid Members

I don’t understand how Brock and Strowman can have such fun, daft, crazy brawls in multi-man matches, but their one-on-one pay per view match late last year was such a boring let-down. 

The pacing of this show was super weird. I don’t understand why they put the Raw tag title match on after the men’s Rumble. Surely I can’t be the only one who fast forwarded it?

• Awards Moderator
5 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I don’t understand how Brock and Strowman can have such fun, daft, crazy brawls in multi-man matches, but their one-on-one pay per view match late last year was such a boring let-down. 

The pacing of this show was super weird. I don’t understand why they put the Raw tag title match on after the men’s Rumble. Surely I can’t be the only one who fast forwarded it?

I had it on, but in the background and on mute while I was having tea.

I assumed the thinking was SmackDown match, SmackDown match, Rumble, Raw match, Raw match, Rumble. And between the choice of having three Rumblers wrestle again straight after or having anounce table carnage for most of the show, the better option was to do Raw’s matches later.

• Paid Members

I thought they needed the Raw tag title match to go after the rumble to tell the story of Rollins being exhausted and Jordan "wussing out" after getting a little knock and forcing his knackered partner to do the heavy lifting 2-on-1, and that being why they dropped the tag titles? 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

AJ & Nakamura  Vs. Owens & Sami maybe? Could add a stipulation that Owens & Sami would be added to the Wrestlemania match if they win.

Yeah, I'd say something like that is nailed on for Fastlane. Something where they can build a bit of unease between AJ & Nakamura, but have a hook to make them work together to maintain the Wrestlemania match as it's currently set.

As played out as the "point at the sign" bit is, I liked how there was some of Nakamura's character inserted in there with the trademark point & sitting on the ropes. A nice contrast to the usual "stand on middle rope, straight arm pointing at the designated angle towards the sign please".

I wonder who was responsible for the layout of the rumble matches? Felt night and day different to the previous years. The first one made me love the Rumble again and the second one was loads of fun. I was surprised it went on last but it was a good call.

Also, has anyone ever spent as much time in a rumble (30 minutes!) and done as little in that time as Andrade Almas?

Archived