Royal Rumble 2018 Discussion [& stats]

tiger_rick

8 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

There's no way that can be true surely? Otherwise, what the hell was she there for then? Especially when she was supposedly filming that day, and therefore must've been flown in.

That Instagram vid pretty much rules out that theory.  Setting up a cam on the kids to get their reaction and her husband knowing she was coming out?  Yeah, I'm sure she phoned him 5 minutes beforehand to tell him.  My biggest worry is Edmond probably told her what a brilliant actor she is and will Brando her mic work with dummy cards at ringside, but she just reads out fan signs instead.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Women's Rumble was lightning in a bottle, the crowd were rabid for almost all the returns, and to their immense credit they all put in a shift, even Kelly Kelly!  They teased a bunch of intriguing cross-generational matches although I'm sure most of the ladies were only back for one night.  McCool and Stratus definitely looked in condition for a longer run - throw some proper money at them, WWE!

I guess they'll never be able to recreate that excitement again, but there are a fair few other formers stars out there you could get back for next year, plus they didn't blow certain key confrontations - Trish and Lita being the main one.

Best match of the night for me, although I really enjoyed watching Braun and Lesnar man-handle each other.  So much bad temper!  Looking forward to their next singles match.

Can someone tell me - how is Mysterio still going?  His knees were shot to pieces a decade ago.  Has he had major replacement surgery?

37 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

There's no way that can be true surely? Otherwise, what the hell was she there for then? Especially when she was supposedly filming that day, and therefore must've been flown in.

Yeah I'm calling bollocks on that as well.

The more I think about it though the more I dislike The Bella's making the final three, they should have swapped them with Sasha and Bayley imo. They could still do a betrayal spot and imo more people would have bought into Sasha as a threat.

"Paige can't make the match tonight due to injury, but here's an injured Ember Moon" Yeah I'm nitpicking like a prick now but it still bugged me. Glad Moon and Sane got a showing though even if Sane looked a bit of a goon just waiting to be shoved out.

It was nice for Steph to give Chyna the credit she deserves, too.

It’s actually an interesting conundrum, the women’s Rumble now, because unless they stack the division before next year, they’re really going to struggle to hit 30 again. They can’t wheel out the same surprises, and the pool from which they’ve got to choose from is way, way shallower. Yet from a PR perspective, dropping it down to 20 women, or not doing it at all, will seem like a step backwards..

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Loki said:

Can someone tell me - how is Mysterio still going?  His knees were shot to pieces a decade ago.  Has he had major replacement surgery?

Massive surgery (probably several, and some kind of stem cell procedure), plus a few years on a reduced schedule and working smarter. Probably helps that he's dropped a lot of mass now, too. But that's the first time in a long while I've seen him hit the West Coast Pop, he stopped doing that and switched to a splash after the 619 because his legs were about to fall off.

It’s probably just me being a shithead, but despite my frenzied excited for AJ/Shinsuke there was a part of me that hoped he’d say Brock Lesnar when asked who he’d like to face at Mania. Sure, the UT match hadn’t happened yet but they could have easily explained that away ‘Nakamura has said he wants to face the Universal Champion Brock Lesnar, but he could easily end up facing Braun or Kane’.

I’m not saying it’s a good idea. Or even a sensible one. Im just saying it’d have shook things right up, and I still think Nakamura/Lesnar could be a fucking War.

• Paid Members

5 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Shit, you're right, West Coast Pop was the rana wasn't it, not the Senton version.

Even so, if he'd hit that Senton five years ago his knees would have fired off into the front row.

Absolutely, he was mainly hitting those falling splashes that looked like they required no effort. He was even struggling to hit the 619 before he left wasn't he? I didn't see him in Lucha Underground really, but I heard he was pretty quick there too. Stick him on a very light schedule and hopefully you've got another star back in the fold.

@d-d-d-dAz I hadn't really given that much thought as I assumed that AJ was the ideal opponent given their history- having a Wrestle Kingdom match and all. But of course, he also main-evented Wrestle Kingdom (well, before it was named Wrestle Kingdom) against Brock as well, so there's history there too. Either have the potential to be superb, but I'd definitely prefer the AJ match.

So Steph hinted backstage with Angle/Shane/Bryan that there was a surprise to come in the womans rumble match which I initially thought 'oh no, Steph will make an entrance'.

Who was this meant to be as she looked surprised to see Ronda herself (Steph clearly hasn't been down the performance centre lately or has been reading the observer).  

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Briefcase said:

So Steph hinted backstage with Angle/Shane/Bryan that there was a surprise to come in the womans rumble match which I initially thought "oh no, Steph will make an entrance".

Who was this meant to be as she looked surprised to see Ronda herself (Steph clearly hasn't been down the performance centre lately or has been reading the observer).  

There was a surprise. In fact, there were about a dozen of them. That's easily explained.

• Paid Members

The men's Rumble was the best one in years. I really enjoyed it. Lot's of fun little hooks the whole way through (Heath/Sheamus, Corbin doing something interesting!, KO/Zayn beating down Dillinger) to keep things interesting. The final six I thought was fantastic. Great heat the whole way through as well. Rey Mysterio looked incredible and was a genuine surprise. Great to see him back, which I imagine is a one off, for now. I'd have been pretty happy with Roman winning, but it was a novel idea for the crowd to cheer for the winner for the first time in a while. 

The opener was much better than I expected, considering the dynamic. AJ was great as per usual. Owens has stolen Randy Orton's gimmick as King of the Chinlocks. 

The Smack down tag title match was going really well, but was hampered by the stipulation. Ended up being a disappointment. Uso's cut another great promo pre-match, whereas Gable and Benjamin came out to the sound of crickets.

I loved the triple threat match as well. Three big fuckers beating the shit out of each other. You'll get no complaints from me. From the last year, it wasn't as good as Brock's matches with AJ or the four way at SummerSlam, but it was better than his singles matches with Joe and Strowman. 

The Raw tag title match was a dud. Partly due to it's placement I guess but also due to nobody giving a toss about Jason Jordan. 

Archived