Let's discuss the idiots on Reality TV

Jazzy G

• Paid Members

Me and my 16yo loved the UK version of The Traitors. No idea what the status is with spoilers in here so I'll play it safe.

Spoiler

Wilf was robbed, that was absolute bullshit that he lost the way he did. He deserved it, he played better than anyone else throughout and to lose it because Cockney knobhead threw out that one line was shite. I reckon they'll amend the rules on the next one to avoid that happening again.

We're nearly at the end of the Aussie one too and enjoying it just as much. Those early challenges were brutal though, they notably eased them up late on. I think Paul's from Yorkshire though so that's reason enough to Benoit him.

• Paid Members

Yeah, he played a great game throughout and it was a brutal final twist. The Australian one was good. I liked the presenter's Bond villain style, and almost cried at the end.

Have you watched the American one with Alan Cummings devouring the scenery like a starving man at an all you can eat buffet? That's a lot of fun. Some real characters in it.

9 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Yeah, he played a great game throughout and it was a brutal final twist. The Australian one was good. I liked the presenter's Bond villain style, and almost cried at the end.

I thought the Australian version was the best one - they even had a "psychic" among the contestants! And yeah, I felt similarly at the end, on a number of levels. But that final showdown was so dramatic. 

I totally agree with what @Devon Malcolm said about the UK version, it didn't feel like it was in the spirit of the game - it was essentially a tantrum. 

As far as the US version goes, I didn't like that they cast so many reality stars (and have a cast entirely consisting of reality stars for the new season) - there were far too many people playing up to the cameras for screen time; making the whole thing feel more contrived. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

As far as the US version goes, I didn't like that they cast so many reality stars (and have a cast entirely consisting of reality stars for the new season) - there were far too many people playing up to the cameras for screen time; making the whole thing feel more contrived. 

That's the kind of spectacle they like over there though isn't it?

• Paid Members

We finished The Traitors of Oz last night.

Spoiler

As soon as Alex was made a traitor we were sure she'd win and she did. Deservedly so, too, she was brilliant but Craig's reaction at the end was hard to watch. That poor bloke, seemed like the nicest guy you'd meet, although Alex seems lovely too. Felt they could have edited it a bit to make him seem like less of a chump but that's the game, I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone watched Outlast on Netflix? A survival game show based in Alaska where 4 random teams of 4 have to survive with the bare minimum supplies to see who wins $1m to be the last team standing. It’s really addictive and there’s only 8 episodes but fuck do they need to establish better game rules for the next series. It took about a week before people started realising it’s easier to be a cunt. I’m all for the thing descending in to Lord of the Flies but they made it too easy for the good guys to get shafted. 

• 1 month later...

There’s a fair amount of Traitors discussion in here, but I didn’t want to read it just in case I saw any spoilers, so some of my thoughts might have already been said. I’m working my way through the first series at the moment. It’s incredible addictive. It doesn’t feel like a reality show at all. It’s more like a scripted drama, with high production values, great choice of songs and exceptionally good editing. It’s so tense and the contestants are such a varied bunch with no obvious arseholes that most reality shows have. I was surprised that the viewer actually knew who the traitors were from the beginning. Claudia Winkleman, who somebody brought up in the inexplicable people you like thread, is simply wonderful. I can’t get enough of the show. 

Some spoilery comments below.

Spoiler

Herd mentality took over in the first banishment and they got rid of one handed Nicky. I didn’t think they’d be stupid enough to do the same in the second banishment, but they did. Swayed by the opinions of others. In a show all about twists and turns, I expect there’ll be something later on that the viewer wasn’t clued in on. I don’t trust Maddy or Ivan. They could be secret Traitors or something. I can’t get enough of it. 

Have only seen the first episode of the new series but enjoying it so far. It's incredibly addictive. Just different enough to justify its existence.

And yeah, even based on what's said above re: the first series, I just love the drones and the music and everything about it.

Trying to watch an episode at a time rather than binging them in groups but it's hard!