General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

21 hours ago, Fox Piss said:

I can see why City spending causes hatred. 

It's not totally black and white though when comparing back in history. Still doesn't mask that we've wasted a huge amount off money on players and driven the market up. I'd say City inclusion into the top tier off the Premier League should be looked back on for more positive than negative though.

Still feels great though. 

Have you wasted money though? When I think of teams who are inefficient in the transfer market I don't think of City. City have had a very impressive strike rate, right from the start of their pay day. Players that were brought in at the start of it all have had phenomenal careers there; Kompany, Zabaleta, D Silva, Tevez etc. Even the players brought in once you started to establish yourselves; Y Toure, Aguero, Fernandinho etc. And now players like De Bruyne, Sterling, Jesus, Otamendi, Sane etc. Theres very few duds in there. Yeah some players haven't really delivered as hoped; Robinho and players like Fernando, Negredo etc. But I wouldn't say theres any total flops there like when Chelsea were spraying money on Shevchenko, Torres and others. I would say City have been more inefficient with their managers, and we all know how that sorted itself out now. Although, having said that, City have probably been most inefficient with transfer with Pep there, and they're romping the league.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Roque Santa Cruz just springs to mind instantly. 

I see your point. We've had far more hits than misses but in my mind i saw the Stones and Sterling transfers as checkpoint in increasing transfer fees. I didn't really see how they got valued at that, but we paid it and now the market uses them to determine certain fees. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, PunkStep said:

The strange thing about Neville is that he's genuinely upset at seeing how far we've fallen over the years. He takes no pleasure whatsoever from seeing us being shit.

I don't think it's that strange. He's always been clear that he loved playing against Arsenal when they were at their peak and that whole rivalry. He had genuine respect for what quality opponents they were, perhaps even more so now comparing this lot to them. But I also think he's wrong to absolve Wenger of so much of the blame for what's going on and what has gone on the last decade plus.

That said I can see where he's coming from, it's easily my favourite era from watching football in this country anyway. Those matches were always so much fun.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

Wolves can't be caught but could be an interesting race with Cardiff to finish champions.

2 weeks ago I'd have said the same, not now.

We shouldn't get caught, but we most certainly can be.

Neves being rested through suspension could work in our favour.

• Paid Members

I would have disagreed until the Fulham game in which we were pretty terrible. Constantly losing the ball, misplaced passes, substitutions not working at all and Costa being wasteful pretty much everytime he got the ball. Hopefully it was just a blip and we start performing well again next week, but everyone looked off the pace Saturday to the point where it's a cause for concern.

@Teedy Kay Hope you're right about Neves, hadn't looked at it like that.

• Paid Members

Yeah that was a pretty big shock, Carrasco has been one of the best up and coming Belgians in recent years. He looked good coming off the bench against us that time for Monaco.

The team that signed them- are they the recently promoted team? That might explain it. Given the fact that almost all goals are scored by the three foreign players in each side, newly promoted teams have to fill their foreign player quota to stand a chance of staying up I'd imagine.

• Paid Members

I was under the impression that Dalian are one of the oldest Chinese teams, predating the CSL. I remember seeing a documentary about Dalian in the 90s.

EDIT: Nope, wrong. I've apparently confused them with Dalian Shide, which ran from 1955 until 2012. Seems that Dalian Yifang bought up Shide after it was hit with heavy debts and its chairman was done for corruption.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Cod Eye said:

@tiger_rick, did you got to the Hull/Barnsley match last night?

I was in the the away end an we(Barnsley) were lucky to get a draw after our second half performance...

I didn't, it was my wife's birthday and, well, she wouldn't let me. Typical step backwards for us after a good result on Friday. Conceded an awful goal and didn't get going until the second half.

Saw your U23s on Monday night. Lovely little player came off the bench. Amir Berkowits. Skillful 17 year old with a mop of hair. Slight but beautiful balance. Worth keeping an eye on.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

I didn't, it was my wife's birthday and, well, she wouldn't let me. Typical step backwards for us after a good result on Friday. Conceded an awful goal and didn't get going until the second half.

Saw your U23s on Monday night. Lovely little player came off the bench. Amir Berkowits. Skillful 17 year old with a mop of hair. Slight but beautiful balance. Worth keeping an eye on.

Barnsley have the opposite problem, we never can never keep the decent first half performances going. I think both Hull and Barnsley will stay up this year though. There are at least three worse teams in the fight. I can't see any hope for Sunderland and Birmingham, and I can see Reading's free fall continuing. 

Amir is a potential future star, but from speaking with some of the lads that coach him, it sounds like he lacks work rate. I hope he can carry on progressing though, as although we have done well producing defenders over the past few years, we have struggled with the more attacking positions...

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

Danny Sturridge is out now until April, meaning we (WBA) will have spent £1 million in wages in that time to a player on loan who cant even play! 

He is on £125.000 a week, which we are covering 

If only West Brom could have had some hint that this might have happened to Daniel Sturridge.

Archived