General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I don't know - United haven't conceded many at home this season. But it's risky to go for an away 0-0 because if Sevilla can grab one at Old Trafford, it's massively uphill for United then. 

Edit: Just read the above back and it reads like the most generic punditry you get on MOTD. "If Sevilla score in the second leg, it's bad for the opposing team!" I'm just thinking about away goals, obviously. 

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The whole "more entertaining on the touchline than the pitch etc..." is usually overplayed with rival managers but all of Sky Sports cameras better be pointed at the touchline and backstage for Sunday's game. They missed Lukaku trying to take a gentle sip of water but his first touch sconing Arteta in the head with it 100mph and the brawl that followed, they better not miss the Conte/Mourinho fight.

On field, who gives a shit? I doubt I'll care about another game domestically this season. And I likely only have temporary false hope for Europe based on our bizarro world hoodoo over Barca (Emile Messkey currently sporting a stiffy over the fact he now has a 1-in-9 record in the fixture is undisputed truth it exists). We're still in no man's land until Conte goes or (never going to happen, and I don't want it to, but at least we'd have a direction) Conte and the club commit long-term.

On Saturday my local team Stockton Town are competing in the FA Vase Quarter-final against Windsor. This is an impressive feat considering they have only had a senior squad since 2009. Prior to that the team was known as Hartburn Juniors, a team I played for when I was 12. It was decided that they were going to enter a team in the Wearside League at the bottom of the footballing pyramid. After a shaky start they won the Wearside League four seasons in a row between 2012-16. They were unable to be promoted due to not having a playing facility deemed suitable by the Northern League. 

After the fourth Wearside League win they were able to gain promotion after the Bishopton Road West stadium was created on the grounds of my old college. Last year in their first season they won Northern League Division 2 and now play in Division 1. Stockton had a difficult start adjusting to life in the new league losing the first 9 games of the season which was not a fair reflection of their performances. Since October they have not looked back and have rocketed up the league and now sit in a comfortable 9th place. 

The biggest story of the clubs short life though is the FA Vase run this season. In only their second campaign they are in the quarter finals and took some big scalps along the way including Bootle, City of Liverpool FC and West Auckland. 

Stockton is one of the biggest towns in the country never to have a league football team. A previous incarnation of Stockton FC won the Amateur Cup on three occasions but the club was liquidated in the 1960's and the Victoria Ground had a horrible housing complex built on it. This cup run could be potentially a catalyst for the club to have a push up the football pyramid. They are expecting over 1000 people at the game and it is always nice to watch a game of footie with a pint!

• Paid Members

I’m a Thatcham Town fan and we too are in the quarter finals of the FA Vase today away at Melksham. We’re on a 22 game undefeated streak at the moment which funnily began in October in the Vase - let’s hope it doesn’t end in the Vase today! 

We played Windsor in the league last weekend and drew 2-2 (which ended our 20 game winning streak). Their two forwards are very good, but the back four were a bit shaky. Also their kit is absolutely revolting!

Good luck for today. Who knows, maybe we’ll meet in the semis! If so you can buy me a pint at Stockton and I’ll repay the favour at Thatcham! 

Highlights of Thatcham vs Windsor from last weekend

Indeed! It is only £2 a bottle in the clubhouse here.  I have just about thawed out, I have just about thawed out it was freezing at Bishopton Road West today. A comfortable 2-0 victory in the end for Stockton with a record attendance of 1,213

Windsor had one chance early on which was cleared off the line. Other than that Windsor rarely threatened the Stockton goal. 

Fellow Teesside club Marske United have also made the semi-finals along with Northwich. 

• Paid Members

Yeah it was freezing today! I wasn’t looking forward to another thirty minutes extra time in the cold but in the 89th minute Ekow Elliott buried one in the bottom left corner! The lads held out for a club record semi final place. Finally on the way home now after a load of shenanigans at the ground afterwards between the two sets of fans. Attendance was 2,208 which is the biggest non league crowd I’ve ever been part of. 

Archived