General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, The Maestro said:

I find it astounding and arrogant when Premier League fans say that the likes of Liverpool or Arsenal should go in for Oblak. Atletico are a good team who on are par if not superior to the likes of those two. If he was to leave Atletico surely he would go to a team that is going to regularly push for winning the league rather than a couple of also rans who at best make up the top four. No offence to Arsenal/Liverpool fans of course.

Took the words right out of my mouth to be honest.

So, no starting striker for Chelsea tonight against some small Catalan boat team. I can hear some @Gus Mears screams all the way from Bath as I type this.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree Atletico are better at playing the old football than Liverpool and Arsenal but if it was a straight choice between signing a contract extension at Atletico or earning an extra £100k pw at one of those two then I doubt Atleticos runner up spots and odd trophy here and there are making a bit of difference. Obviously when elite clubs are thrown in to the mix Liverpool and Arsenal become last choice.

1 hour ago, The Maestro said:

I find it astounding and arrogant when Premier League fans say that the likes of Liverpool or Arsenal should go in for Oblak. Atletico are a good team who on are par if not superior to the likes of those two. If he was to leave Atletico surely he would go to a team that is going to regularly push for winning the league rather than a couple of also rans who at best make up the top four. No offence to Arsenal/Liverpool fans of course.

None taken. 

Oblak to me is an example of a complete keeper at this moment in time, more a wish rather than an expectation. 

Atletico are a superior team to either ourselves or Arsenal. They've won the league more recently than either of us. However they are close to going into the end of a cycle with their team. Some players may leave like Griezmann and others simply with age. Godin, Gabi, Filipe Luis and Juanfran. How they restructure and whether big bad Diego fancies rebuilding parts of the team and doesn't go maybe to Chelsea or possibly Inter if his son is right in his quotes. 

There is also the Wanda Metropolitano and the financial side of things. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/political-in-fighting-could-force-atletico-madrid-to-sell-stars-like-antoine-griezmann-in-pursuit-of-a7533251.html

Plus a £90 million release clause. 

Whilst it's probably is a pipedream to hope to be able to buy a keeper like that, there are factors to suggest it isn't beyond the realms of possibility. 

1 hour ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Friedel was incredible at Blackburn from day one. I think he just had big stage jitters like de Gea and once he settled he was a beast. We got him on a free too. One of our best ever signings.

It is hard to believe that after spending about two or three years waiting for Friedel to be eligible for a work permit to sign for us we just tossed him away for free and didn't look at whether the coaching at the time was part of the problem. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, PunkStep said:

Who the fuck thinks a 0-0 draw away in the CL knockout stages is 'job done'? What a silly bastard. Away goals in this competition are absolutely vital. An early goal from Sevilla at Old Trafford and they're fucked.

Exactly. And United don't come from behind anymore. That went with Ferguson.

Sevilla had 30+ shots tonight. How can anyone say that those tactics worked decisively? If it wasn't for De Gea and the fact that Sevilla are so useless up front, we would have lost comfortably.

What's the point of spending hundreds of millions of pounds on players and not trusting them to go out and beat everyone? He's so busy trying to make points to his players, the media, the fans and getting one over on them instead of picking teams and backing players to win. It's fucking ridiculous.

Archived