General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
12 hours ago, scratchdj said:

I was talking to a mate about how mad football is when it comes to recruitment. Take Daniel Sturidge for instance, if he was working in an office.

”There’s this guy who’s looking for a new job and he’s really good. We could hire him”

”Fantastic, any risks?”

”He calls in sick a lot.”

”How often?”

”Pretty much every day.”

”Oh that’s fine, get the paperwork sorted.”

It’s not as if any of these guys have to lie about stuff on their CV. Everyone knows everything about them, so nothing can come as a surprise.

It’s like managers. In what other industry could you be utterly shit at your job, in full view of the public, and then be head-hunted when you’re sacked after 6 months of being terrible at the same role you’re being head-hunted for?

That last bit sounds like various corporate CEOs I've heard of over the years - usually a load of posh old white boys who get recruited for every high-powered exec job going just because they went to Eton or Rugby or Marlborough, or are members of various clubs or societies. There've been a fair few recruited with a Golden Handshake after having been let go with a Golden Parachute from fucking up their previous job. 

As to Sturridge, I feel really bad for the guy. He's the new Owen Hargreaves. I guess the thinking behind any club signing him from now on is "well, he might stay uninjured long enough to net us a few vital goals", or even "maybe it's all just been bad luck thus far, he'll turn a corner on all these injuries, and he'll be brilliant for us".

• Paid Members

Micah Richards was a player I was hugely envious of City for when he was coming through, absolutely ridiculous potential to be largely never fulfilled.

See also - Michael Johnson.

• Paid Members
On 26/02/2018 at 6:19 PM, tiger_rick said:

Insane transfer out of nowhere time. If you thought the rule change in China had stopped the big deals think again. Atleti have flogged Yannick Carrasco and Nicolas Gaitan to Dalian Yifang.

Beijing Guoan aren't being outdone. Just paid ÂŁ65m for Cedric Bakambu from Villareal. New world record fee for an African player. Good player with a really decent scoring record but that's crazy money.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Micah Richards was a player I was hugely envious of City for when he was coming through, absolutely ridiculous potential to be largely never fulfilled.

See also - Michael Johnson.

Richards is as thick as fuck. Makes Kyle Walker look like Franz Beckenbauer. He's a big-hearted player and was a phenomonal athlete but has the footballing brain of a Sunday leaguer with a hangover.

Johnson had everything but clearly failed to get over the succession of little injuries and then the major one on his knee. I never like to suggest someone has mental health issues but the inability to recover and the weight gain suggests maybe some fragility. Whatever the problem, he should have had a glittering career.

Man City do seem to produce a lot of players who look like world beaters but don't progress. Going back to the late 70s and early 80s when they had magnificent young teams who all fell away. In recent (ish) years the likes of Michael Ball, Stephen Ireland and the aforementioned Sturridge just to add a few to those mentioned.

Be interesting to see what they do with all the talent they're currently amassing. We took a team of U8s there a couple of years ago. Really special kids too. But theirs were out of this world. Aside from the size issue, being 7 an' all, they looked like you could put them on a pitch now and they'd play like the first team. As good as England are now at U20 and U18, with kids like this coming through we really should be world beaters in a decade. We won't be but there's no excuse.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Beijing Guoan aren't being outdone. Just paid ÂŁ65m for Cedric Bakambu from Villareal. New world record fee for an African player. Good player with a really decent scoring record but that's crazy money.

Is it technically a world record for a African player though? I was thinking about this the other day when sizing up the fee for Carrasco. Villareal would get ÂŁ32.5m of that amount, right? With the other 50% going to the Chinese government as a huge tax. I think I read that Carrasco cost ÂŁ30m, so I presume that's the transfer fee and the club's outlay for him was actually ÂŁ60m.

Edit: Ralphy summed it up in fewer words for me (I had the page open for ages before replying)

19 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

No, Dempsey is awful. His move from presenting to commentating has been one of the worst things in football of the last decade. Him and Savage is enough to make me wish for deaf.

Can we please add John Hartson to the list. Decent bloke and I know he has had his health troubles, but terrible on commentary. 

• Paid Members

Who are they? Neville obviously. I think Danny Higginbotham is quite decent. I can also put up with Alan Smith on a good night. Beyond that? Can't think of anyone.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Who are they? Neville obviously. I think Danny Higginbotham is quite decent. I can also put up with Alan Smith on a good night. Beyond that? Can't think of anyone.

Higginbotham and Smith are in the so utterly dull that they're inoffensive camp. Lee Dixon makes that one for me.

Neville is genuinely good. Carragher can be but his voice annoys me. David Pleat is about 800 years old but still better than anyone they use on Radio.

Roy Keane is always interesting. I love him. Gives no fucks who he upsets and maintains a winning personality that is unmatched. Plus Lee Dixon's fear of him makes for an amusing dynamic. You know how good Keane is when you listen to try hards like Danny Mills and Chris Sutton attempt to be "controversial". Keane isn't controversial, he just says things people don't like because he doesn't accept anything other than striving for perfection. I love the crazy bastard. 

1 hour ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I know the weather played a massive part in the attendance at the Emirates tonight but it's hilarious that they still announced over 58,000. 

isn't it based on ticket sales as opposed to attendance. 

Archived