General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

Yet 4 English teams will almost certainly reach the CL quarter finals and I’d back at least two to reach the semis. The top 4, maybe 5 teams in England are significantly better than the rest of the league, which is no surprise when the merry go round for shit English managers is still ongoing.  

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

From the beeb: "Manchester City today completed 902 passes - more than any other team has managed in a single Premier League game since 2003-04 (when Opta started recording the stat)".

Jesus, that's about the same number of passes as that blind bird who was on The Chase this past week.

• Paid Members

It's never a great season without a title race. This season hasn't had one for months. It doesn't even look like there'll be a battle for the Champions League places either at the moment.  There's going to be a hell of a scrap to avoid relegation but that's no substitute. I think the real stories have been the players. Salah, Kane, Aguero,De Bruyne, etc. And hopefully the end of some fucking dinosaurs like Pulis, Allardyce, Pardew stinking up Premier League jobs.

If it wasn't for the hilarity of Arsenal imploding and Chelsea defending the title in the manner we've become accustomed to, this would be a bust of a league season.

Funnily though, after a big drop off in CL performance, this is the best season we've had in the competition in yonks. Potentially 5 teams but realistically 3 or 4 in the quarter finals is fantastic. We've only had 2 quarter-finalists in three seasons.

The great thing about the PL normally is that there's never a lull for long. Chelsea's performance yesterday was frightening though. It wa slike one of those fixed World Cup Group games from the 70s. They didn't dare challenge Man City for fear of being swatted. An absolute embarrassment for the league. The defending champions. Seriously. If teams are going to show that much fear of Man City, they're going to run away with it again next season.

• Paid Members

Let's be honest last year was bloody dire as well. Spurs provided some bright sparks during the second half of the season and Conte finding success after changing formations (and everyone copying him months later) was interesting, but other than that it was shite. Then again, these two seasons were off the back of the greatest Premier League story ever told when Leicester won the league.

If the standards have dropped in this league, then it's widespread across Europe too. With that many English teams left in the Champions League and performing as convincingly as they have been, there's no doubt the top teams here are catching up with the others once again. Real are having a mare of a season by their standards with some aging players. Bayern (also have aging players) don't look as threatening yet they're still storming the Bundesliga. It feels like the end of a generation in some ways, the Messi/Ronaldo generation if you will.

• Paid Members

I've enjoyed aspects of the league this season. As @tiger_rick mentioned, there have been some incredible players that are just a joy to watch. City have played some beautiful football at times and lately, Spurs and especially Liverpool are fun to watch. City wrapping the league up so early has definitely killed a lot of interest though.

The relegation scrap doesn't interest me at all, there are about 10/11 teams in that league that are interchangeably shit to the point I'd like them all to fuck off.

The biggest interest I've got in the league at the moment is hoping Spurs and Liverpool finish above Utd, just as I think this season has proved what a tedious shitehawk Mourinho is.

• Paid Members

I'm amazed at how many United, Spurs and Liverpool fans are invested in who finishes second. Who gives a shit? You've got the Champions League place, beyond that who cares? If we're not winning the league I don't care where we finish.

• Paid Members

Where are you encountering them, Devon? I know at the games that most Spurs fans couldn't really care less if we finish 2nd or 4th, as long as we finish top four. Finishing above Arsenal is always nice, too, but they're so shit now that it's not even an effort. 

• Paid Members

I've just seen a lot of chat across Twitter and a bit on here as well and it baffles me. I guess Liverpool fans might derive some pleasure at finishing above us for a change if that happens but if you're getting excited about finishing second then you're a low expectation having motherfucker, as a great man once said.

• Paid Members

I was going to say I bet that was on Twitter. That place really attracts a unique specimen. Either that or everybody is 14/15 years old, because the comments on Twitter are in the same vein as how we used to talk shit at each other at school when it comes to football. Ridiculous chat trying to get one over each other based on your football team, and not in a funny way.

I'm surprised most fans are happy to finish top four over winning a trophy. I know for finances the Champions League is a big thing, but would rather win a cup all day long than a top four finish. 

Also to Wenger's credit (as he isn't getting much love these days) I remember lots of football fans knocking him for saying top four was a trophy and now other clubs are celebrating it like its a trophy despite slagging him off. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, PunkStep said:

I was going to say I bet that was on Twitter. That place really attracts a unique specimen. Either that or everybody is 14/15 years old, because the comments on Twitter are in the same vein as how we used to talk shit at each other at school when it comes to football. Ridiculous chat trying to get one over each other based on your football team, and not in a funny way.

I went to watch a ladies game yesterday and got stuck next to this student wanker who was like us lot at school plus Arsenal TV multiplied by Paul Merson. When he used the phrase "I want top bins" my mate had to hold me back. I genuinely didn't realise these people were real.

• Paid Members

Yeah, football "banter" is pretty much the worst. /r/Soccer is a big culprit. 

Having said that, merging lots of shitty paper gossip together: Arsene Wenger managing Everton and Brendan Rodgers managing Arsenal will be top bants. 

• Paid Members

Got to be said, with Paul Merson and the Arsenal Fan TV mob, Arsene Wenger isn't that bad a bloke. I fucking hate those cunts off that youtube channel, I must say. Especially the one with the snap back/tattoed neck combo who organises protests to get Wenger out. I mean fucking hell, I'd argue that fan channels made Arsenal way more of a laughing stock that Wenger has. It's sort of a meme now. "CANT WAIT TO SEE ARSENAL FAN TV TO SEE THE OLD ONE CRY!"

Funny, because the Arsenal lads off this site are all good lads.

Archived