General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Glenryck Pilchards said:

What would really be funny is if Arsenal finish 5th or below and win the Europa League and somehow Chelsea finish 5th or below and win the Champions League this would mean whoever finishes 4th would not be in the Champions League next season. If it was Spurs it would be fecking hilarious. 

I humbly disagree, sir.

Before that result last night, I really couldn't see any way that Arsenal would win the Europa. Perhaps I'm giving Arsenal too much credit for one good result but it suddenly doesn't seem that far fetched. I do, however, think it's incredibly unlikely that Arsenal and Chelsea would both win their respective European competitions. Champions League wise, I can't see past Real or Barcelona.

• Paid Members

For those of us who don't support teams who have Champions League aspirations, or are even in the Premier League it's funny when any of City, United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, or Liverpool miss out. The more convoluted the way that they miss out the funnier it is. 

• Paid Members

It's pretty funny when Liverpool fuck up, to be sure. For me, they're the funniest club (Arsenal and Chelsea excepted for locality reasons) in the league when things are going a bit pear shaped. I didn't really find it funny, funnily enough, when United went through their iffy period after Ferguson left, City might as well not exist as a football club except as a reminder of how shit petro-doped clubs are, so if they miss out any time soon (unlikely), that'd be pretty amusing. 

I won't lie, the gloating from both Chelsea and Arsenal fans if the unlikely scenario of them each winning a European trophy, finishing outside the top four and thus knocking a fourth placed Spurs out of next year's Champions League might actually lead me back to a life of crime.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Glenryck Pilchards said:

What would really be funny is if Arsenal finish 5th or below and win the Europa League and somehow Chelsea finish 5th or below and win the Champions League this would mean whoever finishes 4th would not be in the Champions League next season. If it was Spurs it would be fecking hilarious. 

If Chelsea win the CL, 4th place is fucked regardless of what Arsenal do. The only way for there to be five English teams in the CL next season is if Arsenal win the EL.

Dancing Ruud Gullit's all set to watch the final with whichever manager finishes fourth again. Promise he'll be diplomatic!  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2449178/HARRY-REDKNAPP-BOOK-EXCLUSIVE-Watching-Chelsea-win-Champions-League-worst-night-football-life--Ruud-Gullit-doing.html

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

If Chelsea win the CL, 4th place is fucked regardless of what Arsenal do. The only way for there to be five English teams in the CL next season is if Arsenal win the EL.

Really? I thought the rule was that there can be five in the following season's competition if the CL winners fall outside the top four? Didn't they change the rules a while back? And obviously, if Arsenal and Chelsea both win each competition, 4th will drop down into Europa.

Chelsea won't win the CL anyway.

• Paid Members

Anyone could go down out of the bottom portion. Everyone down there is shit with a good result in them. Real odd league this year. Everton having their worst season in years with the possibility of a 7th place finish sums it up. Also Arsenal sitting 6th and only losing one less than Southampton.

I gave Brighton no hope at the start of the season and they have done surprisingly well, that said they are still in amongst it and have the toughest run-in I think. I'm sure the last 10 games on paper are incredibly difficult, on paper at least to me I cannot see them picking many points up from them. 

Everton - A

Man City - A

Leicester - H

Huddersfield - H

Palace - A

Spurs - H

Burnley - A

United - H

Liverpool A

Hughton's proved himself an adept manager at this level, mistreatment of Hoolahan aside, so I'm not surprised.

5 of those games are winnable.

Beat Burnley and they may all but secure another season in the PL.

Re: AC Milan. 

How long is it since they had a proper manager? 

There's Montella, Leonardo, Gattuso, Inzaghi, Seedorf and more who've managed them since Ancelotti.

Moronic giving the job to Gattuso when winning the Europa League was so important to them. If they had a proper manager in place it could've been different.

See the dross they had on the bench? Fabio Borini would be a shit striker at Championship level. Fuq is he doing at Milan?

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

How long is it since they had a proper manager? 

What does that even mean? A manager with experience? If so, then their current manager- seeing as this is the fifth club he's managed. The fuck are you talking about.

• Paid Members

You dont hire a manager on the gamble he'll be decent enough to win you the Europa League. Gattuso's done a great job since they hired him. They win their game in hand and they're only 6 points off 3rd. They just beat Roma away and are in the Coppa Italia final. He's revived them. He's the best man for that job.

As in someone who didn't walk into a high profile job they didn't earn without any credentials.

Milan constantly giving the managerial seat to ex-players, failing spectacularly, experiencing frequent turnover in managers and never learning from it.

What European experience does Gattuso have? Talk about playing into Wenger's hands.

Imagine Arsenal replacing Wenger with Henry; then when that fails, Vieira, Campbell and Bould respectively.

That's equivalent of what Milan are doing.

What's Marcello Lippi doing these days?

1 minute ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

You dont hire a manager on the gamble he'll be decent enough to win you the Europa League. Gattuso's done a great job since they hired him. They win their game in hand and they're only 6 points off 3rd. They just beat Roma away and are in the Coppa Italia final. He's revived them. He's the best man for that job.

Fair enough.

Archived