General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Pinc said:

This might look comical tomorrow, but I predict tonight is the night Pochettino's Spurs come of age by putting a big Champions League tie to bed with minimal fuss. Would be a great story if it was the spring board to them shaking off the bottlers tag and they win a few pots in the next few years.

I hope you're right, obviously. It's just nearly three decades of supporting Tottenham has instilled in me the belief that, when all is said and done, we always choke. Some exceptions, of course, but generally. I'm hoping Pochettino has coached that mental block out of the team - tonight really is a test of that. We're very good at Wembley, we beat Madrid and Dortmund there and, first 10 minutes aside, bossed Juventus in Turin (although they did have the likes of Dybala out, who is in the team tonight). With the advantage of two away goals, we should be going through tonight. But I can't shake that feeling that it's going to go sideways.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
3 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

That is correct, I doubt it’ll be an all English final though, there’s no way UEFA is allowing that. 

Good.

Better side won on the night, main thing is Spurs proved they can hang with the giants of European football. 

This season's adventures in Europe have not only provided some great memories (thumping Real at Wembley for one) but IMO Spurs have become a much more attractive team for any transfer targets. 

Great match.

Commentator said Spurs had better options on bench but it was Lichtsteiner who had huge impact down the left for Juve immediately after coming on while Lamela and Llorente didn't do much after coming on for Spurs, time constraints granted.

Kane was very quiet but it's a measure of how good he is that he still carved out two of Spurs best chances.

Happy for Buffon and Chiellini, two great characters of the game.

The CL needed this in truth.

English domination isn't healthy, and it's nice to see Juve as resilient in Europe as it is frustrating to see them match Napoli stride for stride domestically.

Hopefully Napoli can focus on pulling away in the league now.

I still reckon Wenger will redeem himself tomorrow.

His know how over two legs will make all the difference against Gattuso, surely.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, The Four Horsemen said:

Better side won on the night, main thing is Spurs proved they can hang with the giants of European football. 

Well that's not enough, is it. Haven't we known this for a while? Let's call it what it is - another Spurs failure.

2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Well that's not enough, is it. Haven't we known this for a while? Let's call it what it is - another Spurs failure.

Firstly the only way Arsenal will get into Europe next season will be booking a holiday with TUI or another travel agent. When you have sorted your own house out and are in the Champions League again then by all means criticise.

Secondly, considering that Spurs were in some places 150/1 to win the CL and hardly anyone gave Spurs a chance of getting out of the group stages personally I wouldn't consider it a failure but more of a learning curve. It takes clubs years of consistent CL football to know how to play in a way that suits the competition.

• Paid Members

Well, I did say! Thing is, in both games Juventus were pretty much only decent for 10 minutes in each game. Just within each of those two ten minutes, they scored two goals. 

I have to say, the immediate negativity around the stadium after they scored their second was shameful. In what way does whining and complaining while the game is still going on help the team? Seriously, I actually hate most football fans. There was a guy sitting behind me who actually said the words, "top bins" when he wasn't calling the ref a bald cunt over and over and over. 

We really have to do our utmost to try and win the FA Cup this season. I said before the season that, given we're homeless for the season, I'd be happy if we could just secure top four for going into the new stadium. I stand by that but I think, given the teams left in the FA Cup, not winning it could be considered a real failure. 

Also, Pochettino has again shown that one of the biggest holes in his managerial game is with subs. Why he didn't bring on Moura for Dele I have no idea. It can't be denied that this year's Champions League campaign was a vast improvement over last year's, and I'm overall always quite willing to give this team the benefit of the doubt as long as I can see year on year improvement. 

Out of interest though, are Spurs improving year on year? I see them as the same side as they were a few years ago.  

They do need to win something though, there is only so many times Poch can say the side is improving & learning and perhaps he can also hide behind the new stadium thing in that they have been at Wembley this year. 

Archived