General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Now might be a good time to either say who you support, or post the draw.

Presumably a Bristol City supporter, they drew Man United. Just basing this on the teams left, but I could be miles off.

The whole cup has been a mess this season with the draws. First the silly timing at 4am, then Charlton being drawn twice and the two hour delay earlier with a delayed video on bloody twitter of all places where surely they could have tweeted the teams if they wanted to make it twitter relevant. Maybe I am just not with the times anymore. 

Todays draw was a farce, Twitter problems was the reason for the delay, And they were waiting for a Twitter Engineer to fix the problem, A TWITTER ENGINEER, the replies were keeping me amused though

The best being some lad who wrote down 8 teams on a bit paper and drew them out, recorded on his phone in 2 minutes as an example of how easy it is to do a flippin draw on Twitter

also Phil Tuffnell and Matt Dawson were doing the draw, why an ex Cricketer and ex Rugby player were chosen for a Football QF final draw is beyond me but Tufnell sounded like he had a few pints during the delay.

And then top it all off its shown recorded and not live and the Big 4 miraculously have all been kept apart fueling conspiracy theories and the fix being in

All in all its hardly been a standout 1st season for Carabao as the sponsor   

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, PunkStep said:

A cup that Juande Ramos once delivered to the club is certainly not going to quench the thirst of this impressive team, nor their fans. Nor should it. Winning it won't make an iota of difference to one of the big clubs.

A fair few Spurs fans online are acting silly about being knocked out of this cup. Lambasting fans - like me - who aren't at all concerned with being out of it as arrogant and saying IT'S THE ONLY CUP WE'VE WON IN DECADES over and over. Yeah, and following the last two times we won it, we then experienced a full decade of abject mediocrity. It's not as if winning the league cup ever led to a period of success for us. 

Dropping a two goal lead isn't great but the team we put out - whilst still containing strong players - was far from our first team. Foyth (a 19 year old with one previous appearance to his name), Rose (just back from a long term injury) in defence and the team never left second gear. West Ham wanted it more, simple as that. That's not a diss on them, just a fact. Poch has been very clear that he thinks nothing of the league cup. 

21 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

A fair few Spurs fans online are acting silly about being knocked out of this cup. Lambasting fans - like me - who aren't at all concerned with being out of it as arrogant and saying IT'S THE ONLY CUP WE'VE WON IN DECADES over and over. Yeah, and following the last two times we won it, we then experienced a full decade of abject mediocrity. It's not as if winning the league cup ever led to a period of success for us.  

As a neutral I see things differently and to disagree. Spurs have always been known as a team who have been great to watch, flair players and somewhat exciting football but also as a team who hasn't won or shown much for it. Its kind of been seen as 'Oh its Spurs' this is what to expect. 

I think Spurs should be thinking what a good squad they have, that they are moving forward into a new stadium and to encourage/reward players with trophies. Have the mentality of 'this is our first trophy that we are taking into the new stadium' and to follow on from that. Otherwise in a few years there will be the pressure of 'Spurs haven't won a trophy for such and such years'. 

Think Poch is naive to not take the trophy seriously, it's never done the likes of Mourinho any harm before and with respect to Spurs its not as if they have been blessed with trophies down the years. Thats how I see it anyway, would love to see this Spurs team have something to show for their performances. 

I agree to an extent, as I'd love us to win a trophy, any trophy and feel that Poch deserves to, as do this current squad. I don't want people looking back on this current time like people do with Brazil 82 for instance (not saying that we are Brazil obviously), in that we played very good football, but won diddly squat, and underachieved.

Beating Chelsea in 2008 in the League Cup was one of the best memories I have. I didn't give a shit what cup it was, winning a trophy and seeing Ledley lift that trophy bought floods of tears to my eyes and an atmosphere rarely matched in all of the years I've been. And to be honest, if I'm being really honest, the League Cup represented our best chance this year.

I can't speak for fans of other teams as I have no idea what it's like to be a fan of those clubs (or other Spurs fans to be honest), but being a Spurs fan is fucking weird sometimes. It's not that we're happy losing or not winning things, but we do like to see our teams play 'The Tottenham Way', and do things differently and we always have, and always will. Would we be happy winning the league? Absolutely. Would we be happy winning the league in a boring defensive way? Absolutely not.

It's why I've found over the years that it frustrates other fans with our attitude, especially Arsenal fans (and again only the ones I know). They get so pissed off when they beat us, or finish above us, because although it's difficult, it doesn't REALLY bother us that much. The Lasagne, the last day leapfrogs, the other season at Newcastle, even back to the promotion/relegation shenanigans from where the rivalry really started, it's kind of our thing, and is just accepted with a shrug rather than anger.

It's a weird mentality, and probably the reason that I married a Gooner.

I mean, what says 'self loathing Spurs fan' than marrying an Arsenal fan and being content with your eldest daughter as Arsenal mad. I definitely know that with my mentality, the way I am in life, the way I view the world, I physically couldn't be a fan of any other club. I fit Spurs, and they fit me, and I came from a Chelsea heavy family and have no local ties to North London.

Sorry, went rambling there, but yeah, I'd like a trophy and the fact that it would've been a North London derby in the next round makes it worse.

Archived