General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I cannot understand football fans. Head over to /r/COYS and you'll see people actually questioning Pochettino's tactics, team selection and substitutions. Mind you, if you click on those fans profiles and check out earlier posts, you will see them callingĀ Pochettino's tactics, team selection and substitutions against Dortmund, Madrid and Liverpool as 'a masterclass.' LOL.Ā 

• Paid Members

Between Son and Pochettino's seemingĀ lack of faith in Llorente they're going to have to look for a decent striker in January in case Kane's out again. There was no final touch at all. Nobody willing to shoot from a distanceĀ either, and I reckon if you have somebody who can whip a decent shot in from range you'll be in with a chance of at least giving United a scare if not beating them.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I think it's reasonable to question those, isn't it? Son up front was a head scratcher while there seemed little urgency in the passing and movement.Ā 

It's not so much the questions they're asking, it's more how quickly (literally after two loses, one of which was in the league cup) theĀ same peopleĀ will flip flop entirely.

Jazzy: I do not believe Poch lacks faith in Llorente. He was very lucky to get a player with his talent be willing to sit on the bench most games because Harry Kane was ahead of him. His performance in the Madrid game demonstrated how effective Llorente can be in our team. The issue with Llorente is that, when he's playing by himself (or in that front three) we're trying to play balls into his feet, rather than getting crosses in for him. At the moment, although I am not worried about how well Aurier willĀ eventuallyĀ do, the service isn't there for Llorente - Aurier is still finding his feet in the Premier League and Trippier is, I'm afraid to say, not quite the standard we need.Ā Poch has shown that that Llorente and Kane can play effectively together and, obviously, Kane does very, very well with Son, Alli and Eriksen in support.Ā When Kane is out, we need to change it up - start Llorente, and mix up our build up and attacking play so that Llorente gets the chance to score the sorts of goals he got for Swansea last year.Ā 

I'm not worried, mind you. Poch has never not learnt a lesson from a defeat and then done everything in his power to put it to rights. The new book 'by' him (it's actually by Gallium Balague (I know, I know), based off of Poch's diaries of last season and interviews with Poch, club coaches, players, ex-players etc) that just came out that I'm currently reading is an excellent window into how Poch thinks - I honestly believe Poch is the single best manager we've had at the club in my lifetime - trophies or no trophies - and I was born in 1987. No, he isn't infallible and fans have every right to voice their opinion on any tactical or selection failings he makes that cause us to drop points, but to me it is lamentable how quickly fans start to doubt.

Then again, what do I know? I was campaigning for Hoddle to keep his job on this very forum just before he got sacked from Spurs.

I would've thought Son's pace and willingness to run behind was exactly what was needed against United and those CBs, and not Llorente and his hold up play when you have Eriksen and Alli buzzing around behind him. Obviously it didn't work did it, but there you go, what do I know?

@SpursRiot2012 don't read Reddit ffs. Must be as bad as 'Spurs Twitter'

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

@SpursRiot2012 don't read Reddit ffs. Must be as bad as 'Spurs Twitter'

The COYS subreddit isn't too bad. The comeonyourspurs.com forum, on the other hand, is terrible. Their moderating is...well, it's different to here, that's for sure. In a thread about us getting Bale back (some bullshit Don Balon rumour) most were adamant that we'd had his best years at Spurs, he's a crock and not worth the money (all this assuming Real wanted to sell him for faaar less than they paid for him and he was willing to take a massive pay cut to come here). I replied, the beginning of which was "I think you guys are crazy if you think Gareth Bale wouldn't walk right into our team and be a supremely talented, immediate enhancement to our title aspirations." Came back later to find my post had been deleted with a message PM'd to me from a mod saying I'd broken some rule called 'Playing The Man, Not The Ball' by starting my sentence with 'I think you guys are crazy if...'

This is just one example. I've never visited a weirder internet forum. Well, I have. But not a football one.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

@SpursRiot2012 what's wrong with Balague? I've always thought he was a decent writer.

When he appears in punditry type duties, he annoys me. I do recommend that new book, though, Bacon. It's a real good read. Like when scours from Newell's went to Poch's childhood home at 1am to see about getting him in for a trial. Poch is asleep but the two scouts/coaches want to have a look at him anyway. So his mum and dad bring them up to his room where they ask to look at Poch's legs. The parents oblige. So 13 year old Poch is asleep his bedroom while his mum, dad and a couple dudes from Newell's are stood around admiring his legs.Ā 

"Look at those legs," said one. "Those are footballer legs."

• Moderators
8 hours ago, PunkStep said:

We've just won the under 17 world cup, hurrah! England in all youth tournaments this year:

Won: u20 world cup, u17 world cup, Toulon, u19 euros

Runner-up: u17 euros

Semis: u21 euros

That's pretty fucking impressive, we're dominating youth football. Although youth success certainly doesn't guarantee the same at senior level, this can surely bode well for the senior side in the future. In terms of improvement, at the very least. Well done lads.

Your player of the tournament in the U20s fucked off England for Wales in David Brooks, and Punky Brewster has a Welsh girls name.

Ā 

They're all going Ampadu.

Ā 

Actually, in all seriousness, is there a reason why Players are leaving England for Wales? There's no money in it so is there an issue with coaching at youth levels why players want to leave prior to senior football?

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Guy Bifkin said:

Perhaps they prefer to keep their summers free for family holidays?

Better than being home before the postcards. When we do it, we do it right. IE: Win a game in the KO stages.

Archived