NWA is the best.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

He's alright. I'm coming round to him. This is definitely the best (only) use of him in any main event capacity. I still don't want to se him in any other promotion doing anything at all. Unlike say a Tim Storm who could be a babyface authority figure in WWE immediately having the odd match when drawn into it and it'd be tremendous.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, sevendaughters said:

Tim Storm is currently the best promo in wrestling even though when he gets mad he looks like the angry human in Ren & Stimpy.

Brilliant observation. He absolutely does.

• Paid Members

Aldis has been great but he veers too closely into Ric Flair wannabe territory at times. While I buy him as a top athlete and champion the stuff about him going all night in the bedroom was cringe and didn't really suit his character at all.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's an odd one. I've been pleasantly surprised by Aldis in that I really didn't rate him before, seeing him more as a load of high quality but completely unrefined raw materials. I still maintain that, if he'd gone to the Performance Centre, he'd be on his way to being a legit big-time star by now. But he's been excellent to watch in NWA, and genuinely comes across as one of the biggest stars in the place - really can't think whom I'd choose to take the belt off him right now apart from Tim Storm, and maybe at a pinch James Storm. I'm sure Pope could eventually, but he's only just arrived, and needs some building back up. Having not seen Marty Scurll's recent work, I don't know how he'd do, but I'd be interested to see if they could build him up to it. Eli Drake has something, but he needs to ditch the rip-off stuff.

All that said, Aldis does, as Maverick said above, all too frequently come across as a bit of a Flair rip-off in places. In fact, I'm a little surprised he didn't call himself "Nature Boy" Nick Aldis and claim he was the latest in the line. Using a catchphrase like "What's causing Aldis?", using a leg-lock-style finisher, going on about how he makes his money by being the best wrestler in the business and nothing else (I know they all do, but Flair really emphasised that point more than most, I felt), and having a Baby Doll-type valet and a stable - all of this felt like a bit of a re-run. 

Not that he's a total rip-off, though - he still wrestles his own style, moves differently, has a different nickname (I still think the nickname "National Treasure" is shit on a Brit if he's not going to play that up a little), and his promo style is less bombastic and more sneering. Like I say, he's been unexpectedly entertaining. Can he do it without any of the Flairisms? I'm sure he can, Clive.

They're achieving two things simultaneously with Aldis.  They're using the Worlds Title to help cement him as a top star  AND they're using Aldis' run to establish (or re-establish to be fair) the  Worlds Title as a top prize.  That's probably the most important thing to do for a wrestling federation, and it's incredibly rare nowadays for a company to achieve this.

I've always had a soft spot for the lad since his TNA days.  I think he's over-delivered and continues to over-deliver, and I'm really pleased for him.

• Paid Members

Melina can’t cut a promo for shit, but its a timely reminded of how much I used to fancy her during her WWE days.

Honestly, the production of this show is fantastic. I don’t know if its the improved acoustics of a studio setting (it probably is tbh) but it sounds like a good atmosphere despite a crowd of what, 250 people in the studio?

Impact and ROH tapings sound like absoloute shit in comparison, despite having more in the crowd as a rule.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Melina can’t cut a promo for shit, but its a timely reminded of how much I used to fancy her during her WWE days.

Honestly, the production of this show is fantastic. I don’t know if its the improved acoustics of a studio setting (it probably is tbh) but it sounds like a good atmosphere despite a crowd of what, 250 people in the studio?

Impact and ROH tapings sound like absoloute shit in comparison, despite having more in the crowd as a rule.

It's like that AEW show from New Year, the "homecoming" episode. The smaller arena and different seating arrangement made for a much hotter sounding crowd. I don't get the obsession with having a half empty 15,000 seat arena when you could go fill a 5,000 seater and make your product appear much hotter. Probably easier on the overheads as well. Plus you can talk about how your venue is sold out. 

This week's show was interesting,  although how must Homicide and Eddie Kingston feel about having to sell for Question Mark like that? Scott Steiner bringing his old NWA tag title belt out and cutting that promo was absolute gold. I'd love to get him doing audio books. "It was the best of times, it was thefucking worst of times..."

That tag team main event was  very entertaining. Morton Vs Aldis next week has the potential to be alright, but I also get the feeling it could be pretty awful.

Edited by jazzygeofferz

I've literally just finished watching and it was another fantastic week. The comedy ads are fine with me. Stu Bennett is doing a fantastic job too. I burst out laughing at the end when he said that Morton is already the tag champion. Suggesting that he could be a double champion. I couldn't love this product more. 

I just want to also say that I love Tim Storms theme music from Championship Wrestling from Hollywood. I anyone hasn't heard it, it's on YouTube as "Tim Storms mission statement". I really hope it's what they use at Hard Times. 

Sorry, had to edit as I needed to mention that moment of Shooter Stevens brilliance. 

Edited by Angle_fan

My only complaint is that the prominence of the Rock'N'Roll Express, which I assume is just a temporary run, does simultaneously support any claims of nostalgia telly and make the NWA look a little bit bad given their age and their general physical shape. All respect to Morton (whose promos have been fine) and Gibson (whose t-shirts have been strange) as HOF guys who are still out there (I enjoyed their match against Bryan Alvarez and Tom Lawlor) but they shouldn't be on belts and they definitely shouldn't let Morton within a sniff of Sweet Charlotte The Ten Pounds Of Goldâ„¢.

I enjoyed the little promo-off between Ricky Starks and Zicky Dice. Neither are draws for me but you don't learn to get better on the mic by not talking.

Edited by sevendaughters